New M43 user

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Graeme, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Graeme

Graeme New to Mu-43

I have been a Canon and Sony user for a long time with DSLR and compacts.
    Buying a GF5 the other day marked my first entry into M43 and what a pleasant entry it has been with the lowly ranked GF5, impressed with this simple camera would be an accurate description but it has left me wanting more.
    As it came to me this camera just has the 14-42 power zoom lens so I am on the look out for either a 45-200 ois or the a 45-175 power ois.
    I initially had considered the GM1 but the later GM5 seems to be more suited to me with its later wifi and the ability to get GPS data from my phone but here in lies a quandary, all of the features I really like and would wish to have that the GF5 doesn't have are present on the GF6 which at this time is a lot cheaper with the release of the newer GF7 (which I dont want) but the GM5 does have that better sensor and a few more gadgets that appeal.

Choices abound but one thing is clear to me I am loving my basic point and shoot like GF5 and perhaps I should just take it a bit more slowly and get a clearer idea of which direction to go regarding camera bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Graeme: Welcome to the world of M43. You've given yourself good advice to wait a while till you get comfortable with your GF5 and then decide which way to go from there. I started with the G1, then tried a G5 and decided I didn't really like it that much and went to the GH2 which has met my needs quite nicely. I have had the 45-200 and believe it is a good choice if you want a somewhat longer focal length. Have fun and enjoy M43.
  3. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    I have the 45-175 and like it. When I was lens shopping, the reviews/ comments on the 45-175 seemed more favorable than on the 45-200, but both lenses have their fans.