New m43 lenses for Oly?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MavRax, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MavRax

MavRax Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if Olympus will be coming out with new lenses soon? If so, any words on what it would be? Wondering if they are coming out with another telephoto lens with larger aperture. If not, then I just get the 14-150mm f4-5.6.

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The rumors that circling around say that Olympus will release new camera (EP-3?) along with new lens (12 mm?) this lens said to be the first Olympus HG m4/3 lens...but until the announcement from Olympus it self we can't be so sure. Just what kind m4/3 lens exactly do you need? I think Olympus already cover all basic need with it's m4/3 lens so far...however you can wait to see if Olympus bring good news for Us....

3. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Also Sigma are due to announce which lenses they are manufacturing for the Mft cameras. At the moment we only know that they are going make them, not what they are making!

4. MavRax

MavRax Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    yea, right now I'm hearing the mft lenses will be announced, just don't know when and what specs.

So far I have the standard zoom kit from my E-P2, a pany 20mm f1.7, and another pany 7mm-14mm. To complete the set, I would want to get a telephoto lens. If they are coming out with a new tele lens then I would rather wait and see what it is.

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I was going to buy the 20mm F1.7, but have decided to wait a while and see what (if anything) appears from Olympus - a 50mm F1.8 would do nicely, but I won't hold my breath waiting on it, and if it does appear it'll no doubt be at a totally stupid price....

6. MavRax

MavRax Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010
    I agree, but perhaps if they do come out with a new tele lens, perhaps the 14-150mm price may drop.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 12mm and 50/2 are the leading contenders in rumor land

8. ukdanae

ukdanae New to Mu-43

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm hoping for a 50mm F2 -- i'd like to get a fast portrait lens to complement my Panny 20/1.7, but don't want to fool with an adapter and manual focus for one of the old Oly lenses if they're about to come out with something perfect. Gah, the uncertainty!

9. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I'd like to see 50 1.4, 85 1.8 (or 1.4), 35 1.8

• Like Like x 1
  10. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I really do hope they bring out at least one or more primes as well, although since they went digital they really haven't shown much interest in doing so apart from the 4/3 35mm and 50mm which are both macro lenses, and the 150mm which is SHG and very expensive (as well as slow focusing).

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Rumors are for a 12mm f/2 by the end of June.

Nothing else seems concrete although there has been some chatter of a 50mm f/1.8 non-macro as well.

Panasonic is supposed to release 2 more lenses this fall as well.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    A fast 12 and a fast 50 would sell like hotcakes, IMO.

I've been tempted to get a PL45, but a 50/2 or 50/1.8 would be much much better, particularly for portrait work. Likewise, a 12/2 would be nicer than the 14/2.5, unless the 12/2 ends up being a hunking big ol' lens.

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    In the enthusiast market, maybe - but that's a mere drop in a giant bucket compared to all the people that wonder why their $150 compact has 10X zoom and their $500 MILC does not.

Bring on the bright zoom!

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd love a bright zoom too.

The 10x superzoom crowd are not the folks who are going to buy m4/3 though. Particularly not if they're expecting $150 cameras.

Margins are just as important as volume, that's why I think catering to the enthusiast market is a much wiser approach long-term for Olympus and Panasonic. Today's $150 compact owners will likely be the ones moving to cell phone cams in a generation or two. If convenience and price are the primary constraints, m4/3 is simply not part of the equation.

15. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm not sure why those folks would buy the MILC in the first place... But if they did, you know 10x zooms ARE available for m43 should one want one?

A quality fast 12 and a quality fast 50 (I vote for a PEN 42/1.2) are not yet available. And they are exactly what is needed to set m43 apart from the crowd.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 10x zooms (particularly Panasonic's 14-140mm, but also Olympus' 14-150mm) are actually very popular for Micro Four-Thirds... Not by bag of tea by a long shot, but it's certainly not something that's not seen a lot.

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Obviously, I was exaggerating the difference for effect, but how many times have we seen someone come on here and ask how to zoom their GF1 + 20/1.7 kit?

The enthusiast market may be the margin leader (by unit) and may be the "early adopters" who help work out the bugs, but everyone here really needs to understand that in the grand scheme of the market and sheer profit $, we are not the ones to play to. Nikon makes orders of magnitudes more profit off their typically worse-than-the-competition point and shoots than they ever begin to make off D700's and D3's.

18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'd normally agree with you completely, but the outstanding success of the Voigtlander 25mm makes me think that the market for fast compact primes is larger than many would think. Poor mans Leica, perhaps? But the demand seems to be there.

Gordon

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's true, but that doesn't negate my point. The entry-level Nikon bodies and lenses maintain marketshare but they do not drive profits. The D7000 tier has been what kept Nikon in good shape, and lenses like the 18-200 have brought them a lot more than the cheaper 18-105 or 18-55 did.

Every company needs to have something at the entry-level to introduce people to the lineup, but the entry-level is not where the money is made. Olympus of all companies should know this as their strategy of low-priced E-4x0s and E-5x0s failed to keep their imaging unit in the black.

But again, the bigger problem is that customers who intend to spend $150 on a 10x zoom camera are simply not realistic targets for the micro 4/3 system. So what those customers want should not be of major importance when designing m4/3 cameras and lenses.

20. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Thom Hogan writes: "the [Olympus] 12mm f/2 (24mm full frame equivalent) looks good. Real good. A much welcome lens many of us m4/3 users have been asking for since Day One. Not quite a pancake, but still reasonably small (46mm filter threads to give you an idea)." (June 13 post) He cites 'multiple sources'. He says June's Oly cameras will underwhelm though.

No idea how reliable he/his sources are...