1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New M4/3 user from the Canon World

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jayjayn, May 9, 2013.

1. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    Just ordered a OMD and kinda scared starting off on getting new lens', I primarly shoot with Canon bodies and really wanted a small discrete camera but with the quality to be on par. Hoping to make the right choice on the 17mm f1.8 as the perfect walk around lens.

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'd get an EOS M w/22mm f2.

3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Sounds perfect to me.

Be careful though. It's going to be hard to resist the 45 1.8.
    And then there's the ultra wide for road trips.
    Etc, etc.

4. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    I've considered the EOS-M but I'm a Manual shooter and dials and buttons are very essential to me, The EOS-M just seems like it lacks the options that the OMD offers.

seriously i know i'm definitely going to want a good portrait lens, just still uncertain between the 12mm 2.0 and 17mm 1.8 as my first lens choice

5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I was being somewhat sarcastic. You have to like slow focusing and a touch screen (without being able to compose using an EVF/OVF) to get to shoot manually with the EOS M. Also, to switch from AF to manual focus, menu diving is required.

If you like the 24mm eq. field of view the 12mm is quite good. I'm not as impressed for the price with the 17mm; it's a good lens...kinda pricey though. Honestly, the 22mm on the EOS M is as sharp for 1/3 the price as the 17mm with the newer Olympus (sony-sensored) bodies. I think the 22mm out resolves the old 18mp Canon APS-C sensor. The 20mm f1.7 Panasonic is another nice choice, with an OM-D, definitely sharper than the Olympus 17mm but slower to focus and not good for video if that's an interest for you. I'm not sure if the low-light, high ISO banding issue has been totally resolved with the OM-D+20mm either...though I've never noticed a problem personally with the body lens combo.

6. micronean

micronean Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Since I got my OMD, last december, I've done nothing but shoot in manual. It gives me just a little bit more satisfaction when I pull off a fantastic pic.

When I used my old Minolta SLR (I never bought a DSLR) I almost always relied on A-mode, as I never quite had the confidence to go full manual--especially since I couldn't tweak exposure in a darkroom. The EVF, and classic feel of the thumbdials, makes it a real pleasure to go all manual.

7. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    i think you made a good choice. the 17 is slowly becoming one of my favorite lenses.. probably due to the fact i haven't used the 25mm that much... but like most, the 17 is the closest to 35mm in film so...you get my point

8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    The Panasonic 14mm appears better than its reputation. I was very surprised when I first started using it.

The strong points of the lens are the price (very easy to get a cheap copy) and the size. The smallest of the lenses available (not including the body cap lens....)

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Both good. Choose by desired focal length.

10. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Not sure what Canon stuff you used but I went from a 30D and some nice lenses. I have been very pleased and my back is grateful!

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    That lens and the Sigma 19mm are both very good, especially considering the price. Of course, they're slower than the 17mm 1.8 or the 20mm, but if they meet your needs they're well worth buying.

After trying a number of primes, I ended up getting the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas based on value.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The 17/1.8 is a fine lens IMHO. It was where I started with :43:.

Once you go beyond your first, there are lots of choices. The 45/1.8 is excellent but the real prize lens in the :43: world is the 75/1.8. It's stunning - by far the sharpest/clearest lens I've ever used. The shots from it have a clarity I've not seen before (and I used to have a fairly comprehensive Canon 5dii kit with a few L zooms included).

13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I wish you people would stop raving abut the 75 1.8. I just finished my "do-everything" kit.
    Sheesh!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

14. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    thx guys for the advice, i'm glad that there is a strong community here definitely when jumping into a whole new world. I care a lot about nice sharp lens with the bokeh to match, I should be getting my camera, oly grip, 17mm, filter, hood, black widow holster within the week in the mail. Seriously had GAS (seriously first heard this term here lol) and now I'm really looking for a great portrait lens to compliment the 17mm.

I care about the size and aperture greatly, but don't want to jump to extreme focal length's, from my research over the 20mm,25mm,45mm it seem's I shouldn't consider the 20mm since its so close to the 17mm , but the 25mm vs 45mm is hard to decide over.

25mm - larger, pricier but better focal length to walk around
    45mm - smaller, better bokeh based on distance I believe, and cheaper but significantly longer length and uncertain if a jump from 17mm is a great idea

15. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    btw does anybody know if they make an Canon EF-S mount adapter for m4/3?

16. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    I've seen them listed and some have aperture rings on them. If you don't get the one with the adjustment, you'll have to preset the aperture on the canon body then place it into the :43: body. You'll be stuck at that aperture.

Edited:
    I just checked eBay. No listing for EFs with aperture ring, only for EF.

17. jayjayn

jayjayn Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2013
    yeah I was thinking that, sucks most of my lens' are ef-s =\ , I would think someone on here would have my same issue and might have tried a way, I will posts up on the appropriate forum

18. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    I went from a 7D with a 17-55 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/4 L to the OMD. The 7D was an awesome shooter, but man was it HUGE. The EM-5 is so much smaller.

The 12-50 kit lens is very good and very sharp, but not very fast. The motorized zoom is 'neat' but not that useful to me. The macro function is nice.

I had the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 for a while and found it to be a very nice lens. I'll get another one someday (if not the 17mm 1.7). Now I have the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, which is a VERY nice lens. Figure I'll try to get the 35-100 f/2.8 someday, too. Bought the 12-35 expecting to take a vacation to DC and NYC, but those plans got nixed, otherwise I would have waited to see what Oly is going to come out with in the fast zoom category.

Anyway, the EM-5 is a great shooter. Very nice images. Aside from HDR, if I get it right in the camera, I haven't found need for post. I'm not shooting for money, so I don't need everything to be perfect. What I do miss the most from the 7D were the menus that made sense and the custom modes on the dial. Oly's system for custom modes (MySets) are a bit stupid. You can assign one to a button, but that button doesn't toggle it, you have to HOLD the button. It's not a HUGE pita to go into the menu and set it manually, but it would be nicer to toggle it with a set button.

Customizing almost every button is nice, but not every function can be assigned to every button.

It's a solid little camera, and feels great with the battery grip (I like both parts attached), and is more handy than a huge DSLR. I love mine.

19. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'm still shooting my 7D and will until I can afford full frame. I love both cameras and will probably carry both.

20. willsterstyle

willsterstyle Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Will
    Coming from a 5DMK2 here and joining the M43 club!