New M4/3 user E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Nihlén, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Nihlén

Nihlén Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    Hi everybody,

New to the forum and the world of micro four thirds, I usually use a EOS 5D MKII and love the world of photo.

I recently came over a E-PL1 with the kit-lens 14-42 for the equivalent of 170USD, the plan was to give this camera to my wife because this summer will bring our first child and what better thing to do then documenting it on a nice camera. But her non exciting interest in technology ended up in me using the camera my self.

As a photographer from the DSLR-world im used to the heavy equipment only the 24-70 lens is a hefty 950gr so its nice to carry around this lightweight for a change.

I only use RAW due to the endles possibilities in postprocessing and the fact that the dynamic range is better in RAW. I´v allso ordered a EF to M4/3 adapter to try out my trusty L-lenses on the PEN.

It seams to be endels possililitys with this little camera altho I know the handling of por light isn´t like a full-frame.

The above pic is a HDR consisting of 2 exp -1 (100ISO) and +1 (400ISO) separately developed through Photomatix PRO and blended in CS5. Its from my first walk with the camera.

This pic was just simple playtime with the camera and internal flash as a trigger for my Sigma 530.

There is however one question:

I only use RAW but how do all of you use your cameras? Im used to the 14bit from the DSLR and the PEN uses 12bit so there is some info that will be losed with a 8bit JPEG.

By the way it´s so nice to find a place where you can get all and more info about the system thanks for a great forum.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    With the E-PL1 the first and best thing you can do is to turn on and use the Super Control Panel.

The second thing is to set it up for back button focus so you can have separate control over exposure lock, and focus lock.
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome to mu-43.
  4. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
  5. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I wonder how much info you actually lose between 14-bit and 12-bit files in terms of actual pictures and not in terms of numbers.
  6. Nihlén

Nihlén Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

Regarding the SCP... when shooting in raw I really dont se the point in using SCP. I think the standard control panel is more straight forward just arrow upp or down to choose what setting to effect and left and right to change that setting.

I use the back-button focus on my EOS but in this case im not sure what to think of it, the grip of the camera is to small to constantly use the back-button for focusing and most of the time I use manual mode. So I just set up the camera the opposite way around to confuse my selfe (focus on trigger and AE-lock on rec-button)

Regarding 12 och 14bit well there is and should be a difference but then again I dont know how much it is if its one stop of information dont think so it might be half a stop.
  7. Nihlén

Nihlén Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    New FD-s for the four third :-D

Today I took a huge leap into the unknown.

I bought 2 lenses:

Canon FD 135mm 1:2.5 S.C
    Makinon (for FD) 35mm 1:2.8

Iv read some good reviews in the forum about the canon but nothing positive about the Makinon.

They are both in great shape, I´m now just waiting for the converter that I ordered yesterday (so all probably have to wait som more for the final test).