1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New m4/3 user checking in

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marconbass, Aug 5, 2012.

1. marconbass

marconbass New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Hello All,

I've been reading through this forum for the last few weeks and finally pulled the trigger on a E-PL2 kit from Costco for $299.

I've been using DSLR's for years (a D80 and a D70 that has been converted to infrared) and they've been great will continue to get some use. However I've been looking for a smaller setup for my motorcycle travels as space and weight are a premium on a motorcycle. I have a LX5 which does an adequate job but the mirrorless world will do much better for me.

My plan is to start building a kit with some lenses, adaptors for my nikon and mamiya lenses and various accessories. I think that sometime in the next year or so I'll upgrade the body and then convert the PL2 to infrared.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions along the way.

Marc

2. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Marc,

Welcome to the Fourm. This is also my first day on the fourm. I've jsut picked up an EPL1 lit to give the micro four thirds system a try. It sounds like we're in the samme boat. We both are DSLR shotters looking for something smaller to use for travel. Keep us informed on your kit setup.

3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Welcome Marc! I too have the E-PL2, although paid about twice what you paid for it, but that was a European price and about a year go...:) Anyway, it might not be the latest and greatest Mu43 offering any more but it is still a very capable camera indeed and in my opinion still one of the nicest form factors around...

Looking forward to see some pictures soon!

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Marc and Bobby,

Sounds like you both made good choices to start out. Welcome to the site - lots of good info and advice to be found here. Don't be shy about asking questions, and share some photos when you get a chance.

5. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Amin, thanks very much for the welcome. I love the site. :bravo-009:

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome aboard!

Post some pics when you can.

7. marconbass

marconbass New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Got a package from the "Brown" truck today and the camera is finally HERE!!

Of course, now I wait for the battery to come to a full charge...

I will say that my first impressions are very good, the camera feels good in my hands and the build quality seams good as well. I'll be able to give the camera a good workout this weekend and I'll be sure to post a few images.

Oh... the tracking numbers shows the truck will be back around tomorrow with the 20mm prime!!!

8. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Welcome

Glad to see someone else in Chicago joining m43.

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    You'll fall in love with the 20. It's a fantastic lens and so small and easy to carry. My EPL1 and 20 is pretty much my standard everyday walk around kit. Welcome!

10. marconbass

marconbass New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Well... here are a couple of my first shots with the camera.
    The two shots of the basses are shot with the 14-42 kit lens and the tools and motorcycle are shot with 20mm. I always shoot raw and process with Lightroom 4. So far I'm very impressed with the camera and the 20mm lens... the kit lens isn't too shabby either :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Excellent shots! Pretty amazing what a camera that size can do isn't it?

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The shots look great, welcome to the forum!

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Welcome. Really nice shots!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2