New m/4/3 user!

littlelio

New to Mu-43
Hello everyone!

My name is Leon and I am a long time Nikon user. I developed my photography hobby from D50, D100, D200, D3 and D800, when I was in Essex UK and now I am located in Shanghai China.

Recently I just realized that the DSLR is too bulky and heavy - 10kg is not good at all on your back when you have to keep walking for one hour or even more! And then there is small version of DSLR coming and now it is the time! m4/3 currently develops into a matured system so I decided to take the plunge.

O-MD is too expensive for me as a secondary camera and I found a great used E-P3 as my first m4/3! I obtained some classic lens such as 14 F/2.5, 25 F/1.4, 45 F/1.8 and P45-175.

To be honest due to the size of sensor, the ISO performance can not be expected as the same as big guys, but they are good enough! And I believe EM5 sensor will be very popular in the future, so perhaps I can have one of that at the right time!

m4/3 is originally designed for ladies, and now it turns into gentlemen's toy as well. It is small and portable, and I am very happy I can take quality pictures much more often than before!

Any tips and advice is much appreciated because I saw many great photos here! and it is a great user group here.

Cheers!

Leon

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Welcome Leon and congrats on EP3. I would kindly suggest you to read more about MFT system before you jump on any conclusion . First of all MFT is not gender based system , so please avoid reaching on such conclusions . Secondly sensor size is not the only thing in a camera . Please visit DPReview and compare high ISO shots between OMD , Nikon D800and Canon 5DMrk III , u might consider selling ur D800 and buy OMD. MFT is up there with those biggies and a subtle shallow DOF difference may not be important many of us. Enjoy ur new toy, shoot and post pics .Feel free to ask questions .
Cheers
Bhupinder

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Welcome Leon, I have to endorse what Bhupinder says - the Mu43 system was never (I doubt any manufacturer would consider gender when designing a camera) intended just for ladies - it was designed to meet the needs of enthusiasts who wanted an interchanable lens system in small form - it does that very well and is increasing in popularity.

The system has a great range of bodies and lenses across both brands and offers image quality that is comparible with many DSLR's on the market but in a form factor a third of the size in many cases.

There are many members on this forum who are producing images that in many cases exceed those from people using a DSLR - the critical factor is the operator not the equipment in most cases.

Enjoy the site, it is worthy of a lengthy membership and active participation.

littlelio

New to Mu-43
Thank you guys! This is exactly I like the forum, because your posts are really helpful!

I haven't come to any conclusion, but there two main factors drew me towards the point: one is my wife who is saying it is tooo small for a man, instead this nice camera should be hers to use :biggrin: another guy is Nikon guru Thom Hogan who analyzed the marketing strategy of mirrorless cameras.

Anyway for me I am very much relieved because those are nonsense to me either. :rofl:

To be honest I am very much attracted to OMD. And I think in the future I will definitely get one or the new generation of m4/3!

Latest threads

Top Bottom