New Luxea Video Editor from ACDSee.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm going to cross-post this to the DPR video forum.

This is a different Editor from their older Video Studio 4 product. This is closer to Techsmith's Camtasia than it is to more generic beginning editors. I tried to register it in my ACDSee Gold subscription and it was registered, so I suspect it is replacing Video Studio 4.

It probably doesn't matter if Video Studio 4 goes away, or not. The price of the two are roughly similar, so I suspect Video Studio will likely "fade out" naturally even if ACDSee doesn't cast it to the cutting room floor. (Puns intended).

My first impression (without extensive testing) is VERY favorable. I have long been a user of Techsmimth's Camtasia and Snagit. My elderly copy of Camtasia 9 is sorely in need of an upgrade, but the upgrade price is $99, and the way I use it, it just hasn't been a cost-effective expenditure for me. I have been putting it off in the hopes that the next version of Video Studio will have a few of the tools I've been looking for. Well, the wait is over. Luxea is a fairly serious option for many people who produce streamable content.

• Chroma Key
  • Color Luts
  • Clip Speed
  • Mosaic
  • Color Pass
They are all there in Luxea! Plus Text can be placed anywhere on the screen instead of one of six pre-configured locations. That was a major handicap for me in using Video Studio. It's not all roses though, Camtasia offers an extensive library of royalty free high quality transitions, video clips, music, and sounds, which is part of their significantly higher price while Luxea does not. These are easily replaced via a basic internet search though, "Save a little money, do a little extra work" is a fair and not odious tradeoff I think.

Oddly, the most glaring omission in Luxea is the one I would think ACDSee Systems (the company) would have built in first. That is tight integration with the ACDSee DAM (ACDSee Home, Pro, or Ultimate). The user has to select images outside of Luxea, and then import them into the editor. I don't know if it is some technical issue preventing this or a simple oversight, but I think I'd like to be able to browse my ACDSee database and send images and video clips directly to a Luxea project without a separate import.

All in all, this is a pretty good product, certainly good enough for the beginner to moderately experienced content creator, slide show maker, and hobbyist.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Further testing reveals that this product can be a viable alternative to Camtasia for many people. Although it has retained much of the intuitive ease of Visual Studio 4, some of the more advanced features ARE a bit 'fiddly' and less intuitive compared to Camtasia.

For instance, if you want to zoom in on a portion of the screen to highlight a specific 'something' in the scene (say, clicking a specific button, or a subject's actions), the Camtasia version seems fairly straight forward, you select the Zoom-N-Pan tool, select the size you want and move the image around to what you want to be shown.

At its core, the Luxea version isn't all that different, but it also offers you a bewildering array of options for very fine control, most of which you can ignore for a simple zoom in. But they can be intimidating. If you've never used Camtasia, it probably won't be much of an issue for you, but for me, I've had to unlearn a few things.

I think it's a good editor for the $80/US it costs for a permanent license. The actual subscription price varies depending on the subscription plan, and how you parse out the cost of the various tools included in that plan. I'm fairly certain I will be getting rid of Camtasia 9, but keep my Snagit screen capture tool current, it's just so much more versatile than the standard ACDSee screen capture.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom