New LUMIX Camera Announcement

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well thanks Lumix. 11:00 am GMT has come and gone. I am really being teased about this new camera, and hopefully other news.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
It hasn't been announced yet but the EVF looks interesting judging by the leaked spec sheet:

3,680k dot equivalent
0,73x magnification (G80/G90 have 0,74x)
20mm eye point (same as G80/G90)

So not very large, but very high resolution. I hope the viewfinder optics are better than the GX7/GX80.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro

just watched the DP Review and I think it's a waste of time for its stated purpose.

• AF is weak
  • No IBIS
  • Soft 4K image /w crop thats gets even softer and even more cropped when used with the mandatory E-stabilization which, even at max , is still jerky
  • no headphone jack
  • poor battery life
  • Tinny audio
You can get the much better equipped G85 for $95 less. Yes its bigger But at least its better in nearly every way.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I agree with others saying that it has has the same old sensor, but I do think it is odd that for this mid-level camera they used the 20MP sensor. I mean, for example, Olympus is still using the 16MP sensor for the latest E-M10 and the E-PL10. (Hate to bad-mouth Oly with the latest bombshell delivered today!).

Last edited:

Lumix G Experience UK

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Damien Demolder

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
For still photography I think it looks much like what an upgraded GM-5 would be (a GM-7, I guess). It has an EVF, which makes it pretty desirable, I think, as a 2nd body for still photographers. I use the GM-5 for this and wouldn't mind having the extra 4MP (and upgraded) sensor. And the EVF is probably better than the one on the old GM-5 (hard to see how it could be much worse - but it IS a viewfinder - YES!). So I think it looks interesting.

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Really like the form factor. It could be a great 2nd body, or daily cam, even for quality work, if only it had one single dial more. As it is it's blogging, possibly streaming cam. Not saying that's a bad decision, I think there's definitely a market for that. There is a large market to be had, and possibly even larger live streaming gaming market. It may sell, and I think it's a good business decision. It's just not what I'd personally look in a cam, or what I'd be comfortable advising to newcomers to photography.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Not something I'd ever even consider buying, tbh.

I'll keep waiting for a possible GX10 and see what that brings to the table.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the compactness with the high-resolution viewfinder and bright LCD screen is something unique for this price range. The lack of IBIS and the obvious last minute marketing as a vlogging camera is a real head scratcher.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well 3 months have passed. A few thousand more photos taken on my GX80, quite a few with prime lenses. Venturing out with the PL15 and P25mm. Both nice and small. But would the P20mm have worked? Re-reading reviews. Looking at new and second hand models. not sure. Looked at the P20mm showcase. Looking good. However, I shall wait for a new GX10 bundled with a mk.3 P20mm f1.7. That could be a killer combo. Waiting....

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Well 3 months have passed. A few thousand more photos taken on my GX80, quite a few with prime lenses. Venturing out with the PL15 and P25mm. Both nice and small. But would the P20mm have worked? Re-reading reviews. Looking at new and second hand models. not sure. Looked at the P20mm showcase. Looking good. However, I shall wait for a new GX10 bundled with a mk.3 P20mm f1.7. That could be a killer combo. Waiting....
Since the mk II 20mm lens was nothing more than a materials refresh, you will be waiting a long time for that to happen again. The 20mm isn't getting improved upon any time soon - the pancake size and the image quality are both made possible by the focusing design, which moves the whole optical assembly. Not having a separate focusing element means it's impossible to get the focus speed any faster, and changing that would compromise all the good parts of the lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom