New LR4 User Wants Advice

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by slothead, Sep 6, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Yep, that's me. I have owned LR3 and LR4 (and have upgraded to LR4.1), but I have never used it - mostly because I was afraid of being faced with everything I heard about cataloging. Since up until now I have been a Nikon shooter, I have been using NX2 and PS/CS (3 different versions) and doing my own cataloging and storage in a couple different places (I use three laptops and a desktop, one of those laptops being a PC and the others being Macs - but migrating away from the PC). I try to keep a copy of every image file however on a portable hard drive (PHD) connected to my iMac desktop.

Starting use of Mu4/3, it occurred to me that this is a good starting point to use and catalog with LR4, but as I read the LR4 book it cautions me to keep all the photos together (and in my mind that means all my old Nikon generated stuff too).

I have about 1.4TB of existing images (probably a lot of junk and duplicates backed up on that PHD that I referred to) and I know that the first thing I need to do is to identify a LR folder to store everything. So I am thinking that I could take my back-up images folder (that 1.4TB on the PHD - which probably isn't complete or fully up-to-date relative to all my images) and rename it my LR folder.

I have a good deal of external storage space (one 4TB drive - the PHD I've been referring to - and two additional 2TB drives), and I am thinking that I should use the 4TB drive for this folder. The issue I have with this is that I still want to be able to back this stuff up, and it will probably soon consume all of any single drive.

So, if you have understood my situation - sorry if this has been confusing, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    LR does not require that images are kept together. I keep my images spread over several drives, for various reasons. It makes no impact on performance, other than the variable performance of the drives them selves. That said, there can be very good reasons to keep your working set of images together.

The important thing you should do though is let LR be your image manager after you've imported them. So if you want to move images across drives, do it through LR. This will save you time trying to relink orphaned files in LR later.

When you start with LR, put a workflow together (image location, key wording, rating etc) and stick to it. The library is very powerful and very cool but you need to not let it get out of control by not having an organised workflow.

Gordon