New long-term review of E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamespetts, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Professional fashion photographer Jay McLaughlin has posted a long-term review of the Olympus OM-D EM5 on his 'blog, in which he praises it very highly, remarking that he often prefers to use it over a Canon EOS 1D Mk. III in his professional work because its smaller size makes interaction with his subjects more natural. Read the review here/
    • Like Like x 4
  2. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for sharing!
  3. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I love finding blogs with professional or exceptional hobby photographers using the Olympus OM-D E-M5... does anyone know of any sort of list of photo blogs out there done by micro 4/3 shooters?
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can read the stuff I post, I'm a pro that uses the E-M5...but I don't have time for writing blogs.
  5. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Just curious if in near future we find similiar rev of GH3 :)
  6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Full time pro half weddings half architecture these days before that underwater and commercial stuff
    also have a post production company for pro photographers :)
    So not shooting as much as I was but the omd revived my love to shoot more so should be doing a lot more again :)

Only used my M4/3 recently I have had M4/3 since the epl-1 came out as my fun small camera but it never would cut it before IMHO the OM-D is the first M4/3 that can deliver
    So since I got my OM-D I am going to be using it more and more for weddings and trying to figure on how to use it as much as I can and maybe for weddings be %100 OM-D
    Architecture I need ff and t/s so omd wont happen there for me :)

right now still using ff gear as a few places where it falls short in weddings
    One moving in darker areas like grand entrance focus cant keep up ?
    Solution might try zone focusing
    Same thing for the aisle not quite %100 confident with it yet
    Sme reception stuff also needs some rethinking

So on the wedding day about %50 OM-D and other half FF canon gear
    I am shooting the 75 1.8 and think I can dump my 70-200 L for the long end
    The 12-35 has replaced my 24-70
    Still shoot ff primes 24,50,85
    And have not found replacements for the 24 or 85 but the 25 1.4 panny/leica has replaced my 50
    Going to see if the voigtlander can take some load off my 24 ?
    The 12 oly cant replace my 24 1.4L so until I can that will stay
    Have not tried the 45 oly yet going to pick one up and see if it can replace the 85 for portrait bride groom work
    But the ff with the 24 and 85 will stay for its focus of aisle shots and grand entrance and some recepetion stuff
    so far no replacement for my 16-35 to many negative reviews in the panny 7-14 ? But might pick one up see how it does or hope oly comes out with a better option or see how it does on the gh3 ?

Still figuring out the on camera flash setup used to 580s n canon and the fl50r wont rotate both ways enough so picking up a metz 50 and 58 but not a metz fan ?
    But might end up with the fl50 in the long run ?
    The fl600 is great around house flash though :) cant keep up or put out enough for work though ?

Off camera ? Have to see but changing things up a bit and would like a wirelss trigger system where I can use the oly and change power of my strobes or speedlights :)

Hoping olympus announces something cool the first of the year with a more pro oriented system ?
    Larger batteries, flash sync, radio flash system like canons 600 would be sweet, dual card slots, better focus for moving objects is the major thing we need IMHO at least

Every wedding I am learning new tricks with my OMD though and getting a better feel of the way it shoots and how I can leverage its strengths and overcome its shortcomings
    But bottom line its way more fun to shoot than ff stuff :) and I want to be %100 OM-D for weddings :)

There are a few of us on DWF shooting the OM-D now but none %100
    gordon and myself are the only two DWF folks here
    DWF is Digital Wedding Forum but its pro only $100 a year to join so sadly not a place ya can go read ?

To me the OMD is like me beeing back in 2000 with digital and my 1D gear :) all the film guys saying digital wont make it not good enough yada yada yada
    Except now almost 15 years later its FF people saying mirrorless wont make it yada yada yada !
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    plan on getting one for fun :) and hope it does well with the 7-14 and does well as a camera :)
    My big hope would be focus on moving objects :)