New Lenses on the Horizon From Schneider and Sigma

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Phillip Swanson, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Phillip Swanson

Phillip Swanson News Writer

Jun 15, 2012
    Michigan
    schneider_lenses.

Schneider and Sigma plan to release a bevy of new lenses for the micro four third system, albeit in some peculiar focal lengths according to recent reports.

Schneider plans to release a 30mm f1.4 lens alongside a 60mm f2.4 macro offering. Considering the m43 crop, the 30mm is an odd focal length, especially considering the lenses that already occupy the 25mm and 60mm landscape including Panasonic’s Leica 25mm and Voigtlander’s 25mm f.95 Nokton (my personal favorite manual lens). On the 60mm front Schneider has the Olympus 60mm f2.8 to compete with. The two lenses will join Schneider’s recently announced 14mm lens.

sigma.

Sigma has numerous m43 lenses, including adaptations of their APS-C lenses with an m43 mount that occupy the 30mm and 19mm focal lengths both with apertures of f2.8. The lenses are rather large, but that’s a byproduct of being developed for the APS-C sensor. Luckily there is a good chance Sigma will announce a number of new lenses at Photokina designed specifically for the m43 system resulting in smaller designs, and hopefully even better performance.

While Sigma already has a number of m43 lenses the super-wide space occupied by Rokinon’s 7.5mm fisheye could use some competition and for the video inclined a m43 version of their cine lenses like the recently announced cine 35mm T1.5 which features stepless aperture and focus gears for the iris and focus ring.

Sources: m43rumors and m43blog [1,2]

2. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    Am I missing something with the Sigma lenses? I mean, haven't those been on the shelves like a long time now? 30/2.8 EX DN and 19/2.8 EX DN? Both at sub-200€ and on stock locally almost everywhere that sells m43 gear? Are these some other versions or what am I missing here?

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    No, these are the pre-existing models.

Seems strange that Schneider would release 3 models with the exact same focal lengths that are already available. 30>Sigma; 60>Oly; 14>Panny. I guess if they're all super-duper-high-end, they're just aiming for a different market.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I would have preferred less redundant lenses but as I understand these will all be native Autofocus lenses. Not much to complain about there. ;)

5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Agreed...and someone buying a lens for $199 isn't necessarily the same person who would buy a $1500 lens, so it's nice to have both options.

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm pretty happy with the current offerings..unless the prices are crazy low, I'm not really interested unless there's something wider than 12 or longer than 75mm, currently we seem to have tons of choices in between.

7. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Sigma 10mm f2.0 please!

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A fast-ish 10mm prime (Zeiss 21 equivalent) or a fast 17.5-ish (35mm equivalent) would be great - 14mm doesn't really tickle me in a big way. The 14 is a lovely little walk around, but a lot of the appeal is size and price. I don't mind paying over 1000 euros for a lens, but I want to to be a focal I really enjoy, which in FF terms is 20, 24, 35, 50, 135.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The 20mm is pretty close to a fast 35. I can live with that. A fast 50mm from Sigma (at a price well under Oly's) might be nice.

But I'd love to see Sigma make a version of the 50-150 2.8 for m43. Preferably downsized appropriately, but I'd even consider a re-mounted APS-C lens in that focal length. That range would be far more useful to me than Panasonic's 35-100. I'd like to see Sigma's version of IS included, though.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I had no idea about the Sigma 50-150mm. That could be a better buy than the 30-100mm--assuming they've ever even considered remaking/adapting it.

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am glad to see any and all new lenses. The Schneider lenses are out of my price range but nice to see them anyway. The Sigmas however would be within my budget and so I am very interested to see what they come up with. I think I read that Tamron will also be announcing their first lenses soon too. I am hoping to see a long prime or even a zoom{400mm or more} and a full range zoom{both Sigma and Tamron are famous for those}.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The admin at E-P1.net has posted a rumor of a Sigma 12-35/2.8 for mFT being announced at Photokina. I'm inclined to be suspicious (seems too good to be true), but it would be an awfully interesting turn of events if true...

DH

13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm surprised 4/3 rumors hasn't picked up on this considering their sources normally pick up any whispers. I can't remember the last time that anyone was genuinely surprised without rumors/purposeful leak from the company.

While I am a bit doubtful, I would love to be wrong and see a cheaper alternative!

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Me too. But it would be the first Sigma lens ever designed for a 4/3 sized sensor. All their lenses so far have been mount conversions from the APS-C versions. Not that the lenses haven't been good sometimes, but it would be quite a change of approach. And there's never been anything remotely close to a 12-35/2.8 on APS-C...

DH

15. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    It makes sense, really. They both do (Sigma and Tamron).

If those lenses are similarly priced and at similar performance with their equivalent Canikon lenses, always as a relation to the originals, they will be highly desirable by many.

So the Sigma 24-70 for Canon costs about 600 pounds at amazon.co.uk and the Canon 24-70L (the new version) goes for, I don't know, about a kidney? :biggrin: And yes, it IS better in every single respect, but not 3 times better.

So perhaps by the end of the year we'll have a high-end 12-35 from Panasonic going for 1000-1100 $/€ and a Sigma 12-35 going perhaps for about half. Not bad. That's what I call market maturity in camera systems.

16. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Recent trend on price of Sigma lenses though suggest that they are now competing head to head against OEM lenses, especially if they match the counterpart spec-by-spec. Their lenses are usually cheaper sure, but not by half anymore. Still, this is good news if it's true.

17. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    And now it appears that the Schneider lenses (14mm included) will not be available until 2013.

DH

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Darn!

Oh well that stinks..

Also this is an amusing quote from their site:

WHAT!! Priced below 1,500 euros and target serious amateur photographers.
    Seriously rich amateur photographers you mean.

19. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I'm still looking forward to seeing/reading about this lens....even if the focal length has been done, and it will be out of my budget.

I'm more so looking forward to hearing about the other lenses they'll be released...it's nice to see some high-end lenses entering the m43 market, we have plenty of current and upcoming options for "average" priced (yet still good quality) lenses.