New lenses = New bag?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jjbigfly, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    How weird can I be? I got into m4/3 and went with all prime lenses. Got Click Elite sling bag. Nice sling bag. But ended up with a Tenba messenger as I was always in my bag changing lenses. Works pretty well.
    Then I went and bought a couple of zooms and ended up with a Think Tank backpack. What I discovered was that with the zooms I do not need to be getting into the bag nearly as much, so I went with the comfortable carry option of a backpack.
    Wish I could be done, but I really liked the Crumpler Karachi Outpost (hope I have that right). What I really liked was the bag itself (rucksack looking), but thought the padded camera section was a bit sketchy. Not as well padded as I would liked. Perhaps it's fine, but thought it was marginal. But I really like the rest of it......
    Couple of questions:
    How many of these bags can one hide in a average home?
    How many is enough?
    What kind of excuse works if you are discovered?
    And should I get that Crumpler and re-do the padding?
    Is there a cure?
    Am I allowed to market the un-used bags and remain a forum member?
    Thanks in advance.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm thinking of a reconditioned EM1 so I won't accidentally lose the new 25.:smile:

3. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Uhhh....OK. Not what I was thinking in the way of replies, but I guess it counts. :)

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Well, my wife has far more bags than I do - camera or otherwise. Perhaps that's the secret?

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    There is no cure. Storage space is variable. No bag ever really works. My wife also has way more bags than I do (so far). And she's pays little attention to mine.

Also ... the bags for m43 are generally small enough that I don't actually mind having a selection.

The two I use the most these days are all ThinkTank: Hubba Hubba Hiney if I'm carrying a camera and a couple lenses, and the Mirrorless Mover if I need to bring my iPad. For one camera and a single lens in tough conditions (skiing, etc) it's the Holster 10. Fortuitously, I had this last one from my DLSR days.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Bags are a hopeless pursuit. At least the price of a new camera keeps me at bay. Bags are just cheap enough to accumulate until you spend the equivalent of the cost of a new camera.

• Like Like x 4
  7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    You could even make your own. That stopped the bag-purchasing for me. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Multiple bags is half the fun! Some end up never getting used, but that's almost inevitable. I have a Crumpler Zoomiverse XL backpack (bulky, padded heavily, heavy, with a padded insert big enough to fit my full 5DII setup) which never gets used, ditto a red crumpler shoulder bag (the removable insert gets used a lot, the bag not so much). The bags I use are both F-Stops right now; really liking the Bandon shoulder bag and looking forward to using the Loka backpack with the small ICU for trekking. I basically want lightweight, flexible, but not super camera bag-y. I may add a Domke eventually. For comfort and a larger kit, backpacks win every time. If I'm swapping lenses out or have a lighter setup the messenger/shoulder bag

9. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The cure is Billingham bags, you won't need anything else.

10. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Horses for courses. While I'm sure they're wonderfully crafted and (in some ways) useful bags, I personally find them extremely unappealing aesthetically. Just completely not my style - old-fashioned, and not in a good way. I have the same feelings about a lot of the Domke bags. I prefer a more modern bag with 'cleaner' lines, like the Think Tank Retrospectives if only they weren't quite so deep (which we don't need for our systems) and bulky.

Besides, shoulder bags on a backpacking trip? Ouch...

11. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    That F-Stop Bandon looks very much like what I'm looking for. What m43 equipment do you put in it comfortably without it bulging?

12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Billingham are the only bags I would consider over my Domke, they are both good simple bags but another Billingham keeps a calling along with a digital Leica M.

13. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    On my recent trip to London I had an E-M1, 12-40 (mounted), 7-14, A7R, 55/1.8 (mounted), voigtlander 35/1.2II. Plus chargers and batteries all in the main compartment/insert, which can be removed. Had space for another smaller prime. I can add the MacBook Air (13") to the front pouch as well. This setup is verging on a little too heavy and the bag is full, but not stuffed to the gills. I did add some inserts from another bag to accommodate it all. Can take some pictures tomorrow if you'd like.

If it came in black it would be close to perfect for me.

14. BeyondTheLines

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    That should be more than enough room for me. I have an E-M5, both kit lenses, Panny 20 1.7, Samyang 7.5 and Canon FD 50 1.4. I don't tend to bring everything with me but it sounds like it should fit (and I think a small water bottle which I usually bring as well).

Thanks for the offer to take pics, if it's not a bother than it would definitely help since I've only seen pics on the web with DSLR's packed but don't worry about it if it's a hassle at all.

15. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A few shots of the bag, filled. Adding the laptop makes things overly full; anything even slightly larger than the 13" air won't fit, and the air with the camera gear makes for a boxy bag.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392681124.061228. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392681155.543799. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392681201.510650. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392681236.877067.

I added a horizontal divider across the middle, creating a 'shelf' with access down one side, where the two non mounted lenses go. There's ample room for another lens, maybe two (or three if they're pancakes) but accessing them easily becomes a hassle. The one of me wearing the bag has everything except the e-m1 in it (use to take the picture), and even with it in the bag is soft enough to mold a little to the body. With the camera in hand it certainly does. The only downside to this bag is the lack of serious weather proofing, although a third party rain cover would remedy that and fit in the 'magazine' pocket along the back. An iPad would fit perfectly in either inside (front of the bag under the flap) or back pocket, and the front pocket is perfectly sized for an ereader (kobo glo in my case).

• Like Like x 1
  16. BeyondTheLines

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Thanks for the useful info and pics :thumbup:. It looks like it should fit what I'd typically bring along. I don't want to carry too much stuff with me (it's main use would be my walks around the city) so I think size wise it's right about at the sweet spot for my needs. I don't think I'd need to pack a laptop, even on vacation I don't bother, so that will hopefully keep it from getting out of hand.
    I like that it molds a bit to the body too, I prefer that to carrying a rigid box.

17. Screamin Scott

Screamin Scott Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Atlanta Ga. Metro
    You can never have enough bags. Different sizes & configurations for different assignments... If there was ever one "best" bag we would all have it.... That said, I like Think Tank bags (although I have several other brand bags as well) & I am an affiliate with them... You can get a free gift with any purchase over $50 thru my link. I'll PM anyone that may be interested with the link...

18. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It is a relatively soft bag, fairly narrow, and does mold to the body. So that's very practical.

19. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    The best bags money can buy is the Billingham Hadley series. If one has too many lenses for a given Hadley size, reconsider what lenses are needed at any given time. Just because you have many lenses doesn't mean you need them all right?

I found buying Billingham a great way to deter from buying too many bags because they're expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Excellent advice :)