New lens: Voigtlander Super Nokton 29mm f/0.8 MFT

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
kind of a weird focal length. Why are all of the super fast primes 55-60mm (in 35mm equivalent terms)? See Zeiss, Nikon, etc. Must be something magical about that particular focal length and lens formula.

Real Name
Mike Peters
58mm equivalent sounds just about perfect to me! I prefer something a bit longer than normal. Really like my Sigma 30. It would also be a perfect compliment to the new 60 Voigt. Very intriguing. Now, I wish they'd make a 14mm to go along with the rest of them.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
58mm equivalent sounds just about perfect to me! I prefer something a bit longer than normal. Really like my Sigma 30. It would also be a perfect compliment to the new 60 Voigt. Very intriguing. Now, I wish they'd make a 14mm to go along with the rest of them.

That's why I have the Kamlan 28mm f/1.4 as the standard in my 3 manual focus prime lens kit.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the forum but 7artisans have released a 35mm f/0.95 that's available in m4/3 mount.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
kind of a weird focal length. Why are all of the super fast primes 55-60mm (in 35mm equivalent terms)? See Zeiss, Nikon, etc. Must be something magical about that particular focal length and lens formula.

A lot of the mystic with the 58mm focal length, at least in Nikon land, comes from the legendary Nikkor 58mm f1.2 Noct lens, produced in MF only from 1977 to 1988. It was different than any Nikkor lens before it, being a aspherical lens, that was sharper, faster and had more contrast than any other Nikkor lens, even wide open. It was originally designed for astrophotography, because it handled coma so well, that was also a superb portrait lens. If you can find one today, they usually go for $3,000 to $4,500 used depending upon the shape.

Nikon has followed up on the original Noct with a new version for the Z line of mirrorless cameras, with the 58mm f0.95 S Noct lens that is also MF only and costs $7,999 new! (and has been backordered since it began to ship late last year). It is the fastest Nikkor lens every made and quite large with a 82mm front filter, whereas the original Noct used a 52mm filter.

So this new C/V Voigtlander 58mm (FF) F/0.80 lens could be a big deal to some, but if the anticipated asking price is $2,000 as rumored, I think is a waste with M4/3. I have 2 C/V lenses at current, but both, at $600+/- new, are for my Sony FF system as the C/V lenses for Sony have electric contacts that transfer all lens data to the camera and is stored in the exif, just like any AF lens. Having the data transfer is a biggie to me and unfortunately C/V was not able to design for the electronic data to transfer with M4/3, as there are no MF lenses with these electronic contacts yet. The Sony shooters would have been all over this lens and it would have been sold out for a long time, as C/V lenses are very popular for Sony, but I think with the M4/3 mount it will just be a super expensive novelty.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I know people buy these lenses and rave about the qual, bokeh and atmosphere (if they get moisture inside) that they produce. But...

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
A lot of the mystic with the 58mm focal length, at least in Nikon land, comes from the legendary Nikkor 58mm f1.2 Noct lens, produced in MF only from 1977 to 1988. It was different than any Nikkor lens before it, being a aspherical lens, that was sharper, faster and had more contrast than any other Nikkor lens, even wide open. It was originally designed for astrophotography, because it handled coma so well, that was also a superb portrait lens. If you can find one today, they usually go for $3,000 to $4500 used depending upon the shape.

Nikon has followed up on the original Noct with a new version for the Z line of mirrorless cameras, with the 58mm f0.95 S Noct lens that is also MF only and costs $7,999 new! (and has been backordered since it began to ship late last year). It is the fastest Nikkor lens every made and quite large with a 82mm front filter, whereas the original Noct used a 52mm filter.

So this new C/V Voigtlander 58mm f0.80 lens could be a big deal to some, but if the anticipated asking price is $2,000 as rumored, I think is a waste with M4/3. I have 2 C/V lenses at current, but both, at $600+/- new, are for my Sony FF system as the C/V lenses for Sony have electric contacts that transfer all lens data to the camera and is stored in the exif, just like any AF lens. Having the data transfer is a biggie to me and unfortunately C/V was not able to design for the electronic data to transfer with M4/3, as there are no MF lenses with these electronic contacts yet. The Sony shooters would have been all over this lens and it would have been sold out for a long time, as C/V lenses are very popular for Sony, but I think with the M4/3 mount it will just be a super expensive novelty.
I think “super expensive novelty” is too kind an expression for this type of item.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I think “super expensive novelty” is too kind an expression for this type of item.

Yet a few M4/3 users will buy it just to say they have the world's fastest (production) lens.

While I never had the original Noct, Nikon makes a 50mm f1.2 MF lens that is pretty darn good. I bought my AI-S version used for $350 about 9 years ago and just love it, even though it is sharper at f2 and can have some funky background wide open, it is a very fun lens to shoot. Oh and Nikon still makes this MF lens today, it costs $699 new.

Last edited:

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
Two challenges with this lens: Precise (manual) focus at full aperture, and finding situations with usable razor-thin DOF at full aperture. Tough lens to work with if you're shooting non-static subjects. Lots of patience required, probably not a run-and-gun lens.

Curious to see what kind of images it can produce in the right hands, though.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Laowa were able to do it in their 50mm f/2.8 macro. Why can't Voigtländer transfer these data?

Interesting. This is the 1st MF M4/3 lens I am aware of transferring data (my Laowa 7.5mm f2 lens does not do this). As it was just announced in August, maybe this is a sign that other lens manufacturers, including Voigtlander, will follow suit.

Last edited:

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
the difference between the Nocts and this new Voigt is that the Nocts are optically excellent while the C/V's are all about "character". They have tons of chromatic aberration and their comae at the edges get very weird.

I love my 25mm f0.95 and 17.5mm, but they're not usable as astro lenses unless you're going for more artistic presentation.

But that bokeh is wonderful.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A lot of the mystic with the 58mm focal length, at least in Nikon land, comes from the legendary Nikkor 58mm f1.2 Noct lens, produced in MF only from 1977 to 1988.

Lots of fast 58mm SLR lenses, starting with the old Zeiss 58/2 Biotar (1930s!!!!), Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9 (1952), Minolta 58/1.2, Topcor 58/1.8 and 58/1.4, etc. By the mid 70s, fast lenses in 55mm and 50mm focal lengths became more common. I've always assumed that there was some design constraint that required the lenses to be a bit longer to achieve the faster apertures.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom