New Lens or X10?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Biro, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Which would you go for this holiday season: an Oly 14-150 for $499 that can be used for travel on my E-PM1 and G3 (I'm not too worried about lack of IS on the Panny - I worked without it in film and in the early days of digital)... or a Fuji X10 for $599? The Lumix 14-140 is great... but larger, heavier and simply too much money.

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    That X10 is a cute camera for sure. Is control of the DOF important to your composition? I like being able to choose a shallow DOF sometimes, but with the smaller sensor that really isn't an option. It's a personal decision for sure, but I'd rather have the m4/3 camera with me.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with Luke. For a small, small camera you have the choice of the E-PM1 with either 14mm, 20mm, or 45mm primes, which I see in your signature. They'll offer much better image control and quality.

That said, looking at your native lens collection I don't see much point in the superzoom either... xP

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This would be pretty much for convenience in certain situations, particularly when traveling or when camping/hiking. Under some circumstances, I prefer not to change lenses.

5. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Oly 14-150 is an exellent lens for travel, having it on E-PM1 and one of the primes on G3 would give you a lot of flexibility. I did so with E-PL1 and 20/1.7 on GF1. X10 is nice but just not in the same league I think.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If zoom range is important in a single camera, the Fuji XS-1 looks pretty cool. With how little I use longer focal lengths, I would consider an XS-1 and sell of my tele lenses and just keep a mu4/3 with the 20 as a complement. Just another idea to throw into the mix.

7. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I think at some point I would cosider a Fuji, but if you have a E P1 I think you will really like what the E PM1 has to offer in terms of new features. I'm really glad I traded mine in on an E P3.

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I have the X10 and it's a fun camera. If that's what you are looking for, then you can't go wrong with the X10. Plus, you have two telephoto lenses already.