New Lens or X10?

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Which would you go for this holiday season: an Oly 14-150 for $499 that can be used for travel on my E-PM1 and G3 (I'm not too worried about lack of IS on the Panny - I worked without it in film and in the early days of digital)... or a Fuji X10 for $599? The Lumix 14-140 is great... but larger, heavier and simply too much money.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
That X10 is a cute camera for sure. Is control of the DOF important to your composition? I like being able to choose a shallow DOF sometimes, but with the smaller sensor that really isn't an option. It's a personal decision for sure, but I'd rather have the m4/3 camera with me.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I agree with Luke. For a small, small camera you have the choice of the E-PM1 with either 14mm, 20mm, or 45mm primes, which I see in your signature. They'll offer much better image control and quality.

That said, looking at your native lens collection I don't see much point in the superzoom either... xP

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
That said, looking at your native lens collection I don't see much point in the superzoom either... xP

This would be pretty much for convenience in certain situations, particularly when traveling or when camping/hiking. Under some circumstances, I prefer not to change lenses.

McDark

Mu-43 Regular
Oly 14-150 is an exellent lens for travel, having it on E-PM1 and one of the primes on G3 would give you a lot of flexibility. I did so with E-PL1 and 20/1.7 on GF1. X10 is nice but just not in the same league I think.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
If zoom range is important in a single camera, the Fuji XS-1 looks pretty cool. With how little I use longer focal lengths, I would consider an XS-1 and sell of my tele lenses and just keep a mu4/3 with the 20 as a complement. Just another idea to throw into the mix.

capodave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
I think at some point I would cosider a Fuji, but if you have a E P1 I think you will really like what the E PM1 has to offer in terms of new features. I'm really glad I traded mine in on an E P3.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
I have the X10 and it's a fun camera. If that's what you are looking for, then you can't go wrong with the X10. Plus, you have two telephoto lenses already.

Latest threads

Top Bottom