New lens? or new lens...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wotterdog, Oct 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. wotterdog

wotterdog New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Jacob Morr
    Thats it! I've decided to stay in the M4/3 family. Soooo I want to invest in a new lens.

Amazon is very tempting. The Rokinon 85mm 1.4 is only $290. But is there anything else similar I can investigate that is around $500? The vintage 58mm 1.2 minolta is intriguing!

Im also considering getting a the canon-mft Metabones smart adapter. I could then borrow my buddy's Canon 50mm 1.4. Will an adapter decrease image quality though?

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks guys,

Jacob

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can get a used 75mm f1.8 for about $550 pretty easily these days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    So a few questions so people can give you better advice.
    1. What lenses do you currently own?
    2. Is auto focus a must, or is manual focus ok?
    3. Do you like Primes or Zooms?
    4. What do you like to shoot/video?

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Do I detect an urge to spend money - no matter what? ;)

Worth looking at:

- Rokfish (7.5mm fisheye - great creative tool)
    - 60mm macro (macro is fun)
    - Oly 75 or Noc 42.5 (great for OOF blurring)
    - 12-40 (one lens to rule them all)
    - Voigtlander 17 or 25 f0.95 (can't beat the rendering and speed)

5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've rarely found a new lens to be the answer - for me it's like rainbow chasing.
    The simpler the system the better: one camera, one lens. Vertually any M4/3's camera will do, since they are all basically the same, and a 35mm equivalent lens. Plenty of batteries, that's what I'd get, and do plenty of 'shooting' of course.

Anyone want some lenses, or cameras?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    My advice: go for the native lenses. I think no (reasonable) adapted combo can beat the 75.
    And Metabones are NOT cheap. You can use a 10$ dumb adapter for the canon. Super fast adapted lenses often are not very good wide open on m43 and again are not cheap (and modern lenses are often better then vintage ones).

So it depends on what you want. You want super background blur? Go for the Voigtlander or Nocticron. You want a good tele lens go for the O75, O60, S60 all excellent. These are not typical general purpose focal lengths, so it depends...
    Or consider the PRO lenses, Pana or Oly depending on your camera, size considerations, etc.

What do you plan to shoot most?

7. wotterdog

wotterdog New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Jacob Morr
    Thanks for the input everyone. You kept me busy with research haha.
    (Amazon+Cellphone+Margaritas)= I ended up getting the 85mm Rokinon and some softbox lights. I need the focal length for a project and it'll give me well-balanced kit (hopefully). Also, I prefer MF. I was about to get the 75mm 1.8....but then...the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 changed everything. I'm still figuring out what I like to shoot, but I have a feeling I'd prefer investing in a 25mm. step-by-step.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Sigma 60mm f/2.8. Under $200, amazing optics.

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Perhaps a dumb question Jacob, but if you prefer MF, why not get a fujifilm?

10. wotterdog

wotterdog New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Jacob Morr
    I honestly don't know much about fujifilm. I'll have to look into that.

11. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Mitakon f.95

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep.

It's the new king in the land of ultrafast MF lenses for the system. No question in my mind. The fact that it's so cheap is just icing on the cake.

13. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I'll take that P15 off your hands...

14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Out of my dead, lifeless hand, maybe! haha.

Just divested myself of the 12-40 f2.8 and the 75 f1.8. I'm of the opinion less is more when it comes to photo gear, no wondering whether to hitch-up lens a, b or...

15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Hmmm... If you like manual focusing I would've gone for some adapted glass. In the 85mm FoV, the Canon FDn 85mm f/1.8 performs very well, and can be had for roughly the same price as the Rokinon you purchased. Sure, it's 2/3 a stop slower, but it's also 150g lighter, and has a 52mm filter thread vs a 72mm filter thread (so much smaller and lighter).

I recently purchased a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.0, and RJ focal reducer (a cheaper Speed Booster that works surprisingly well). Between the dumb adapters and the focal reducer, I now have:
    • 36mm f1.0 (isn't very good wide open with the focal reducer, needs to be stopped down to f/1.4 to become sharp)
    • 50mm f1.4 (very good wide open on a dumb adapter)
    • 72mm f1.4 (very good wide open on the focal reducer, nice and sharp)
    • 100mm f2.0 (very good wide open on a dumb adapter)
    For the two lenses, RJ focal reducer, two dumb adapters, and two 52-58 mm step up rings (so that I can use my 58mm filters) I ended up paying $450. Not bad at all IMO, as it gives me a number of lenses that'll be great for shooting video with (since I MF anyway), and I'll be able to achieve some nice, shallow DoF when needed.

• Informative Informative x 1