1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New lens or E-M1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by wrxspdwgn, Mar 22, 2015.

1. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have a $350 rebate from Canon after purchasing a printer that I'd like to use toward my micro 4/3 kit. I currently have an OMD E-M5 with the Oly 17mm 1.8, Pan/Leica 25mm 1.4, Oly 45mm 1.8, Oly 12-50mm, Panasonic 45-200mm, Panasonic 100-300 and a Panasonic GX1 for a back-up body. I previously rented an E-M1 with version 1 firmware and the 12-40mm 2.8 pro zoom and liked both. I tend to gravitate toward nature and wildlife photography in my travels. Although the Olympus outlet is offering some good deals on the E-M1 the reports of EVF issues and control dial problems have me concerned as the camera will likely see a great deal of time outdoors. My current primary wildlife rig is a Canon 1D mark3 with a Tamron 150-600mm zoom. I keep hoping for a lighter weight more compact alternative and was thinking the E-M1 with the E-M5 as a back-up might be a good combo. Otherwise I could put the money toward more glass. Any thoughts?

2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I wouldn't worry about the quality issues. Most people don't report any issues at all, and if you do find the dial isn't working, the problem is fixable. I had it, they fixed it, and it has been fine ever since. I too shoot outdoors and I haven't been babying my gear, but the EM-1 is rugged.

As for buying glass instead, I guess that depends on what your needs are. The best native glass for wildlife is still to come, unless you have your eye on the 4/3 300mm f/2.8, which isn't light by any stretch.

The EM-1 can be a good wildlife camera for a number of reasons, but that Canon kit is a beast. If you are planning on selling it, the EM-1 and a 75-300 Mk II will give you the same reach at a hand-holdable and image stabilized package, but not the same in any other department. If you are shooting BIF, you would still be able to do it, but it won't come as easily.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    E-M1 is a great camera, but so were the E-M5's I've had. Biggest differences are in the ergonomics and PDAF if you want to use 4/3rds glass. Picture quality won't be much different.

You currently have a really nice set of primes and some pretty good zooms, what do you feel like you are missing?

If you do go with the E-M1, you can get some quality legacy glass like the 50-200 SWD and EC14 and nearly replicate the range of your Canon/Tamron setup. You would have the advantage of size, staying in one system and sharing batteries with your E-M5.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Try the E-M1 again for shooting animals with CAF HI using v3.0 firmware. I think the difference from v1.0 is substantial. Not with the 45-200 or 100-300 though mimd you, I think those two old telezooms are too slow to focus fast enough for good CAF on the E-M1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Personally, I'd wait for the 300 Pro. If it is anything like the 40-150, it will do C-AF better than anything else on the EM-1, and take the excellent MC-14 teleconverter as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks everyone for posting. I still plan on keeping my Canon gear and using two systems with the micro 4/3 gear being my system of choice for family photos and travel when I want something lighter weight or if my wife and I are flying somewhere. Maybe I will check out an E-M1 while I can get one for a good price and start saving up for some of the pro glass including the upcoming 300mm f4.

7. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I love my EM-1, trouble free for the last 14 months, but an Olympus staff said the next EM-1 will be a game changer. So "I" would wait for that body and meantime purchase a lens instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And by that did they mean a hypothetical E-M1 Mk2 or an E-M1 firmware upgrade?

9. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I think they meant a new body.

10. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Given your interests, what I don't see is the Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro which is a fantastic lens. If your EM 5 is working, why spend on a body that although it has some new capability won't materially change what types of pictures you can take? I'd invest in the macro. The most i,portant link in the photography chain is the photographer. Give yourself a new tool that sill open new avenues of creativity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    As a two body shooter I'd go for the EM1 given your nice lens selection.

12. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    As luck would have it, I was able to take advantage of the Olympus Spring sale and picked up a reconditioned E-M1 at a great price. Now to spend some time learning about the differences from the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1