1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New lens from Dog Schidt Optics!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Mar 18, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some creative blokes over in Britain have started a new optics company. They take old Russian elements and put them into newly machined lenses. So far they only have a 58mm f2 Ziess copy{Helios 44}. They can however put it in just about any mount you want including m4/3.

The company name is totally childish but the lens is interesting. Not too badly priced, 100 pounds{$155 US} considering it would require a fair amount of machining to make. Still a good Helios 44 can be had for $50 or so off ebay and an adaptor would be an extra $20.

But if you read their literature they custom make each lens with various optical character. They call it the "Flare 58" for a reason. I am sure many would not like it but for the artistic it adds yet another option to the growing arsenal.

Removed the 43 rumors link because the forum word editor did not like the word Sh1t{spelled without a "1"!}.

Flare Factory 58 DSLR Mount by DogSchidtOptiks on Etsy

• Like Like x 1
  2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    It just has to be a joke... somebody please tell me this was meant for April 1st?

The Helios flares rather wildly all on its own without people designing it to flare even more. Or scratching the elements to give it a "cleaning marks look."

3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    So I watched all of their VIMEO films and the non-tinted 58 flare factory has potential. Don't like all of the tinted options. All in all the effect they are producing here puts me in mind of a bad 70's art film but in a good way. I think. Would be fun to experiment with one.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Very unique- that's for sure!

5. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    Definitely has to be an early April 1st joke. I mean, come on, really? The lens are dog ****?

6. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

While I myself cannot vouch for the truthfulness of this quote, it was verified by many on the m43 site 43 Rumors.

"I think I can eksplain this in asian person perspektif. I once met a man from the Fujian distrik in China and he is fan of Carl Zeiss lenses. He says in his mother dialekt of “Hokkien”, Carl Zeiss sounds like “Kaw Sai” which literally translation to “D0g Schidt in his dialekt. If any Fujian Chinese here speaks this dialect they can verify this is no bull schidt." -Ming Dang (username of the poster)

7. speedandstyle

I have a feeling this is made up. First off if you look up the word for dog in that dialect it is "Gou". Of coarse the word for mutt or something might be "Kaw". The other thing is the name of the British company is a play on German{where Zeiss lenses come from}. Schidt looks very German in it's spelling and would be pronounced very close to correct for the English word, except the correct German word would be "Scheisser".

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm perfectly happy with my Jupiter-3 50mm/1.5, thankyouverymuch. ;)

jupiter-3_web.

9. speedandstyle

I agree, the tinted ones are weird and if you want a tint you could simply change the color in post or add a colored filter onto the lens itself. I can see lots of artsy photographers and cinematographers going nuts over this for certain shoots. The one video of the girl at the computer has a very dreamy, desaturated, low contrast look that although obtainable in post would be so easy with this lens.

10. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

As far as I know (I do speak Mandarin at a conversational level, not fluent) "Gou" is dog in Mandarin Chinese. Like I said, I'm not an expert, just passing on one possible explanation. After all, it is a very strange name. Doesn't seem all that professional either in terms of being taken seriously as an optics company.

11. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Over at a headphone enthusiast site, there's a sponsor who makes amplifiers called Schiit. They have a product called the Schiit Asgard. They also goof on thier name by putting headlines out like, "Schiit Happens."

12. speedandstyle

I guess there are a lot of companies being run by middle school boys! They make up these names and then chuckle every time they say it.:rolleyes: