New lens for my R-D1...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by silver92b, Apr 25, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Just received my Voightlander 35mmf2.5 Color Skopar in the mail this morning. These are my first shots with this combo.

first%20shots-5.

first%20shots-6.

first%20shots-7.

first%20shots-8.

first%20shots-9.

first%20shots-10.

first%20shots-11.

first%20shots-12.

first%20shots-13.

first%20shots-14.

first%20shots-15.

first%20shots-16.

first%20shots-17.

first%20shots-18.

• Like Like x 1
  2. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The rd1 is very flashy piece of gear! Even though it's ten years old, it's even more luxurious showing off that a leica! Remember when i spot some on the Streets (back in the day) it looks freaking expensive!

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This is an incredibly subjective opinion, but I really (still) think the RD-1 does B&W exceptionally well. Good work!

4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I went to visit a young guy who I became friends with a while back. He's a professional photographer but not a gear head. He was not familiar with the Epson but just loved it when I showed it to him. Obviously, for his work, the 6mp sensor wont work because he prints large photos, but he was very impressed with the B&W as well as the color rendition of the R-D1/CV35mm combo.

calvin%20B%26W-2.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, many people (including myself, of course) love the looks of the R-D1. It's a lot less expensive than a new Leica M9, but actually it's not cheap. The NIB units are posted for around $1200~$1500 for the body only in ebay or amazon. I paid $1200 for my used one although it did include a very nice CV40f1.4 :biggrin:

6. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    literally just got mine yesterday. only time for a few local snaps, but im really liking the experience and am surprised by the results with my old leica summarit 50/1.5 (80mm adjusted). btw, last one is max iso of 1600/ss 1/30@f 2.

p839993681-5.

p728576117-5.

p870107915-5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Glad to see you enjoying the RD1.

• Like Like x 1
  8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Great shots! I too have noticed that the R-D1 handles ISO 1600 quite well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    yes, i was quite surprised. i really like the ccd rendering--its different, leica like. as long as you shoot raw, 1600 seems fine. the joeg engine doesnt really work well in any kind of difficult light, but raw is very good. the analogue gauges and rf focusing are great for me. the film advance thing is a gimmick i coukd frankly do without. i understand the 'slowing you down' thing, but imo its dopey and makes any type of action geometrically more difficult to cover. but that aside the camera is a pleasure, as are the resukts.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    6mp sounds bad...but too many people today never shot film, especially 30-40 years ago. Move up from Panatomic-X to Tri-X and the grain really showed; move up to something like 2475 Tech Pan and you got grain the size of your thumb joints. And we printed them large...and we liked them.

The nicest digital files I've ever gotten out of a camera came from a cr@ppy M8 that I owned for years. I'm not trading my current Olympii for an RD-1 or an M8, but there is nothing wrong with what comes off the sensor, at least the raw files. JPG processing is another matter, but that's not how I use the cameras.

11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I shot film 30-40 years ago and remember quite well the challenges of enlarging. Even the best shots with MF cameras showed grain in large prints. 35mm film was not easy for enlargements over 8x10....

This was from the hip, guessing distance shot at f5.6 and I think it would enlarge very nicely :wink:

shot%20from%20the%20hip-3.

12. usayit

6-8 mp cameras sounds bad but I think its simply what has been fed to the general public in continuation of the rate race that started long ago. I started an RD-1 image thread on the sister site Leicaplace a while back with three images. All of them have been enlarged to 8x10 and one to 11x14.

http://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=72

Quality of the resulting prints is just great although I wouldn't recommend going any larger. Even then, the prints' quality seems to be a factor of the underlying image, post-processing and printing process rather than the data size of the original file. I've seen samples of the M9 and Monochrom (in B&W of course). Although they are both 18mp sensors, the Monochrom (built specifically for this type of work) produces prints that just seem high quality.

Once I got past 10mp, I stop worrying about sensor mpixels and my attention went elsewhere in regards to the digital camera itself. Of course, individuals that frequently prints significantly larger than 8x10 or requires 300ppi for some reason should still be concerned. The general public simply doesn't go that far.

Would I trade in my Olympus MFT for an RD1, nope because I still need zoom and telephotos.. :) . I would buy one in a heartbeat right after I get enough funds together for a Monochom. lol.

13. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    the only time it really matters for most of us is high iso/low light photography or other exteme lighting situations. given those and the FL limits imposed by its paltry 3 framelines, and 'action' limits imposed by the rewind lever, i could not at all recommend this as anyones sole camera. but boy its a unique and wonderful complement to another more modern piece of gear.

14. usayit

Yup. Even then, mpix count is really all not that important anymore. Its how the sensor handles noise at high ISO. I personally would have no problems choosing a 10mp camera that produces clean files at 128000 ISO over a 40mp camera that starts showing noise at 1600iso.