1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New lens for my E-PL5 arrived n the post yesterday

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dewi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    My free lens from Olympus arrived in the post yesterday, it looks ok for a freebie. I need to get out and give it a try but I'm in the middle of a very invasive bit of DIY in the house (new bathroom fitting) at the moment. As soon as I get a free day - probably over the weekend - I'll go try it and post some pictures up. Meanwhile here are a couple of photos of it on the camera, I think it looks great, taken with my old Canon A650 compact

oly4_zps95cf40cd.

2. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by your new 'freebie' lens. Being so tiny and light, it's handy to have in the bag for those occasions when you need a bit of extra light vs the kit lens (which is also surprisingly good).

Congrats on the EPL5 - it's a stupendous little machine, I love mine.

3. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    Thanks, Lindsay. Yes, I was quite surprised by the "kit lens", the usual offerings from Canon & Nikon etc are best described as mediocre if you wanted to be kind. The lens that came with my Canon DSLR was put in a drawer in my office and never comes out now, it was quickly replaced with an 'L' lens as my carry around shortly after the camera was bought. The little Zuiko lens with the E-PL5 is in a totally different league so I'll carry on using it for now but will eventually build a collection of nice primes. I'm loving this micro four thirds format, it's great fun.

D :smile:

4. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Yes, I have to agree that some of the Canikon kit lenses are pretty dire! Out of the Micro 4/3 kit lenses which I've tried, I feel that the newer version which accompanied my EPL5 was surprisingly impressive and I find I'm using it quite a lot for lightweight walkabout stuff, even though I own the excellent Pana 12-35. I can relate to what you're saying, I really love Micro 4/3 and now use it for pretty much all of my professional work.

I warn you, the lens selection is so good that it's a slippery slope, you'll probably end up wanting loads of them! My Canon pro kit consists of four lenses and I have been able to do my job very well with those - I just wasn't tempted to have anymore. But in the last year and a bit I have amassed 15 Micro 4/3 lenses :rolleyes:

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think the 17 2.8 is neat lens. It's small and light, sharp in the center and focuses pretty quickly. The sharpness falls off in the corners so it's not the best landscape lens, but for "center shooting" it produces great images.

6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I bought this camera and got the free 17mm lens as well. I was also pleasently surprised how good they both were.

I know what Linda means about aquiring more kit.

7. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    I've never suffered with GAS :smile: I only ever buy what I need, I've been photographing for well over 50 years so I doubt I'll get sucked into the gadget thing now. I do prefer to travel light as far as photo gear goes so you'll rarely find anythng in my camera bags that I don't use. I spent most of the 1990s working as a pro - had my own business - and even back then it was just two of each, 35mm and medium format bodies (Canon and Mamiya) with a few selected lenses.

I can see how people can get sucked into the M4/3 thing though, it's a lovely litte format with lots of goodies availabe with which to empty your wallet.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    What's the build standard of E-PL5 like? I've seen it described as part metal, suggesting the rest is probably plastic. If so, which bits are which?
    Bristol cameras are selling for £379 and there's the freebie lens of course. Sounds to be a reasonable offer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    It feels mostly metal to me, apart from the screen/bezel. Excellent build quality.

That's a great offer. It's a cracking little camera.

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks Lindsay. Yes it does sound like a good price and I'm quite tempted. A quick look at completed eBay listings seems to be not far off for second hand kit. I think people believe they're getting a good deal because its eBay, without adequate research.
    Only downside is it probably needs the VF-2 or similar (4's the latest I believe).

11. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I've got the VF3 - I wasn't prepared to spend very much (I don't feel that I need a particularly large or colourful viewfinder) and I like the fact it has a lock. It's absolutely fine, better than expected in fact. I did try a VF2 belonging to an acquaintance, the view was a little better (but not massively so) but I was worried it would get knocked off the hot shoe (which has happened to a friend a couple of times). But if you could stretch to it the VF4 is beautiful to look through - although for some reason the eyes sensor doesn't seem to respond when switching from looking at the LCD ( it would be a case of leaving the LCD turned off, which is actually what I do anyway when using my VF3).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this was my fav lens for a long time
    and i got the p20/1.7 2 days later, and i still was always using this lens

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Quote . But if you could stretch to it the VF4 is beautiful to look through - although for some reason the eyes sensor doesn't seem to respond when switching from looking at the LCD ( it would be a case of leaving the LCD turned off, which is actually what I do anyway when using my VF3). Quote

Hi Lindsay
    I believe I am right in saying that the VF4 eye sensor will only work on the EP5 which has additional software for that function
    Older models are compatible with the basic use of the viewfinder but not with the eye sensor
    Regards
    Rob