1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New lens dilemma

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by oxhouser, Jun 12, 2014.

1. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    I have been looking at the panasonic 12-35 it gets very good reviews but it's expensive, I have also been looking at the panasonic 14-42 mk2
    In terms of the end result how much better is the 12 35?
    I already have the 7-14 zoom 14 and 45 primes so both option lenses get me in the range I'm looking for, the cheaper option gives a bigger overall coverage when combined with the 7-14
    I wanted a lens to compliment the 7-14 as I don't like taking lots of equipment I never use long lenses so the tall end of both lenses is about right
    I like to take photos of architecture and sculpture so usually have the wide angle or 14 prime on the camera it's just the odd time I need something a bit longer, I know the 12-35 is fast across its zoom range but at near £400 premium is that it?
    It's not a money thing if the more expensive lens is the right choose I'm willing to shell out the extra what I don't want is to pay it and see no benefit or buy the cheaper one and regret it

Your thoughts, opinions and photo's are welcome ( as long as they are about the above topic)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

2. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have a refurb 14-42 mk2 and I have to say it really surprised me with the small size and overall sharpness. Great little lens.

3. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Sorry but 14-42mark 2 is that the old R version your talking about? Then if u live in EU they got them cheap from camerajungle.com

4. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The Pana 12-35 (or the Oly 12-40 more so) are workhorse lenses. It's the one lens solution that covers most common shooting scenarios with excellent performance. Suffice it to say, you will notice the difference compared to the kit lens. The primes will be a tad better, but not by a vast margin, which tells you how good of a lens it is. (Assuming you are referring to the 45/2.8. The bokeh difference with the Oly 45/1.8 is substantial for portraits.)

Question is does your shooting style require it? If you are doing events or weddings, then yes. If not, then it's more of wanting it than needing it. :)

5. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    I have the Oly 45 1.8 and it's underused but I won't get rid as it's the only one to use in some circumstances
    I suspect your right with want rather than need

As another contender what about the Oly ED 14-42? Any good? I like the compactness of the lens, can someone confirm it's autofocus and will work with a panasonic GX7 I know it will fit but does it work well?

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What is your end result? If you are shooting in low light, do you need a fast lens? If so, then the 12-35 is going to give you faster apertures than the kit lens. Do you need a weatherproof lens? Do you need a lens that is built to a slightly higher level of construction for durability (and yes this is a topic for discussion/debate, but let's just assume for the moment that the 12-35 is built better)? Are you printing large detailed prints with a need for edge-to-edge sharpness? Answers to these types of questions may help you better decide if the 12-35 is worth the extra funds for your needs, as most of the kit lenses have been reasonably decent performers under good lighting conditions.

Good luck,

--Ken

7. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    The oly 14-42 R ii works flawlessly with the gx7. It seems identical for the most part with the panny 14-42 ii. I can only compare it to my 20mm, and it is not as sharp by any means. But it is stil a great little lens for the going price of $70-80. For the retail of $259 you can do much better.

8. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have been impressed with the new Panasonic 14-42 II. I gave it to my wife for her G3. I like the Panasonic 14-45 that came with my G1. I also have the 12-35/2.8 zoom. The construction and performance of the 12-35 is much better than the other two lenses. Of course that comes at a price.

9. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The kit lens is pretty good already and if you are wondering if you need the pro lens then you don't.

Go for the lumix kit lens because you will then be able to have stabilization for movies.

Or go for the 12-35mm at least that's what I would do in ur position.

10. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks for the help, I have just bought a cheap Oly ED 14-42, I will see how I get on with it, at the price paid I can move it on for little or no loss
    Gx7 has stabilisation In the camera so using Oly lens should not be an issue, also I don't use video
    Let's see how it goes, thanks again

11. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Btw, the Oly kit looks stellar on the Gx7. It's a nice match.

12. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    Why use a bazooka to hunt rabbits?
    I guess you got all you "need" with the cheap Oly 14-42.

For my use, the Lumix 12-35 is barely good enough.
    I would pay a lot more for a better lens such as 10-50 f/2.0

The best glass is an investment. All mine have gone up in resale value over the years.

13. oxhouser

oxhouser Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2012
    Out of interest what do you do that requires such high end lenses

14. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Read my previous threads on the 12-32 and my comparison with the 12-35.

Update - I have sold the 12-35 and kept the 12-32, oly 17 1.8,oly lenscap 9mm fisheye and rokinon 7.5mm fisheye.
    My kit is very small and lightweight now. Highly recommended!

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app