New Lens Day!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mattia, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I've been debating the 12-35 ever since it came out - mostly because I would dearly love for Oly to release something slightly longer and f2.8-4-ish in the same price bracket, but I came across a great deal on a 6 month old 12-35, absolutely mint (read: looks brand new in box) that still has a year and a half of warrantee on it, so I went ahead and bought it.

Only fiddled around in the house (it's gray and dark outdoors), but the size balances nicely on the E-M5. Feels like a slightly tubbier version of the 7-14, and gives me the ideal travel setup. I'll probably sell the 12-50, maybe the 45, very maybe the 20, add the 75 and the 25 and I'll have my 'ideal' kit. Until/unless I go on Safari and Panasonic or Olympus release a proper fast telephoto and a teleconverter, but who knows if that's ever going to happen!
  2. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Wow, congrats! That must be so exciting. I have been debating same lens, 12-35, for my GH3 for couple weeks. I posted a thread here to ask about it and the issues that have been found in "some" patches. I received varying replies. Over all, seems the problem was only in some, and it happens at a certain angle and can be visible at 200%+ view. I am still looking forward to getting this lens. How are you liking it? Tried it for video yet? :)
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I saw that, and if I really cared about video it might worry me a little, but I've never shot anything more than the occasional short clip, and I've never seen anyone complain about the stills performance. When I have shot video, I've usually used the 5DII and manual glass. Stills 'work' better for me.

I like having a fast-ish lens for lower light, and something that sharpens up well for landscape shooting, where I actually often prefer the 12mm perspective to the ultrawide perspective. Very excited :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    If you decide to sell your 12-50 b&h gave me $240 for mine. :). No fuss, no muss.