1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Lens Day!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mattia, May 16, 2012.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Just sharing the love: I've had the E-M5 for 2 weeks now, only really using the 14/2.5 that came with the GF2 (kit lens is just too big for pocketing the camera), but decided I wanted a few more options. My new second hand 20/1.7 (from a forum member here!) arrived today, along with my Oly 45/1.8. First impressions: the 20 is slow compared to the 14, but love the size, and the initial impression of the images is certainly pretty excellent!

Still very much on the fence about the potential for an Oly 12/2.0 or PanLeica 25/1.4 addition to the kit due to size (I can excuse the 45 because of the focal length and less general use I'll put it to), and I'm still pondering the addition of a 14-42 X panny for the pancake trifecta...decisions, decisions...

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, the 20 is not the fastest focusing lens but the images more than male up for it. It's loud as well when compared to the Panasonic 14. I love my Olympus 45 but I find that I don't use the focal length nearly as much as I do the 20. If you do decide on a kit zoom I recommend you consider the 14-45 as well. It is by far the sharpest pf the kit zooms. The Olympus 12 is a real interesting case. I see some amazing images from it but the it's one spendy lens (for me at least) and from what I have seen the 14 is very close in IQ. I'd love to have the 12 but I just can't justify the price.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My main objection to all the kit lenses that aren't the Panny X series is that they're too large. For me, the sole purpose in having one is for travel photography locations where I can't/don't want to be swapping or carrying lenses around, while maintaining a (coat) pocketable combo. I've got the important bits of that range covered with primes, and the 12-50 for if I don't care about size and do want a weather seal :)

Price-wise it's kind of funny - I'm used to spending on L glass (4 zooms, 2 primes), yet somehow the notion of spending as much on a mu43 lens feels slightly wrong somehow. This will probably only change once I've spent a little more time shooting the E-M5 and making a few large prints.