New lens day approaches....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jjbigfly, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    I pulled the trigger on a MFT zoom after agonizing for quite some time. The Panasonic 35-100. Really like the pictures I get with the primes, but I miss having a good zoom. I tried a few offerings when I bought the OMD 5, but the sharpness simply was not there for most shots (IMHO). After LOTS of reading (including a good deal of it here) I ordered one from a fellow member.
    And then...I am close to getting a Olympus 12-40 or the Panasonic 12-35. Any late feed back on the two compared?
    I came from a Canon and a few L series zooms and really miss using one lens for many shots. Perhaps I am lazy. I am old, so...
    As a side note: I am liking this MFT format as I find myself taking more pictures as the camera travels so easily. I will admit that it is taking quite to learn how it all works together. Getting the Olympus dialed in seems to be the key.

Does this camera stuff never end? :biggrin:
    Thanks

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    What camera do you have, the E-M5? If so, I'd recommend the 12-40 simply because it has slightly more functionality (snap focus ring and function button) as well as great optics. If it's a Panasonic body, I'd recommend the 12-35 since the Olympus lens doesn't offer stabilization.

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I had the same predicament as OP and went with the Oly 12-40mm. Loving the lens so far but it is pretty heavy and large (for a m43 lens).

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have the 12-35 on my e-m5 and it's an excellent lens and size wise it goes well with the camera, especially if you're using the hld6 grip. I tried the 12-40 briefly a week or so ago. It's got a nicer build quality feel to it, but it's notably larger. I took a number of comparison test shots and TBH, the IQ looked much the same between them. Perhaps a tiny bit more CA on the 12-35, but nothing that LR wouldn't remove at the click of a button. The 12-40 has a much shorter minimum focusing distance, which is a nice feature - not quite macro, but good in a pinch.

Personally, I don't think I'd swap my 12-35 for the 12-40 - purely on size grounds. Bit, the 12-40 is an excellent lens so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.