New lens day approaches....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jjbigfly, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    I pulled the trigger on a MFT zoom after agonizing for quite some time. The Panasonic 35-100. Really like the pictures I get with the primes, but I miss having a good zoom. I tried a few offerings when I bought the OMD 5, but the sharpness simply was not there for most shots (IMHO). After LOTS of reading (including a good deal of it here) I ordered one from a fellow member.
    And then...I am close to getting a Olympus 12-40 or the Panasonic 12-35. Any late feed back on the two compared?
    I came from a Canon and a few L series zooms and really miss using one lens for many shots. Perhaps I am lazy. I am old, so...
    As a side note: I am liking this MFT format as I find myself taking more pictures as the camera travels so easily. I will admit that it is taking quite to learn how it all works together. Getting the Olympus dialed in seems to be the key.

Does this camera stuff never end? :biggrin:
    Thanks

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    What camera do you have, the E-M5? If so, I'd recommend the 12-40 simply because it has slightly more functionality (snap focus ring and function button) as well as great optics. If it's a Panasonic body, I'd recommend the 12-35 since the Olympus lens doesn't offer stabilization.

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I had the same predicament as OP and went with the Oly 12-40mm. Loving the lens so far but it is pretty heavy and large (for a m43 lens).

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have the 12-35 on my e-m5 and it's an excellent lens and size wise it goes well with the camera, especially if you're using the hld6 grip. I tried the 12-40 briefly a week or so ago. It's got a nicer build quality feel to it, but it's notably larger. I took a number of comparison test shots and TBH, the IQ looked much the same between them. Perhaps a tiny bit more CA on the 12-35, but nothing that LR wouldn't remove at the click of a button. The 12-40 has a much shorter minimum focusing distance, which is a nice feature - not quite macro, but good in a pinch.

Personally, I don't think I'd swap my 12-35 for the 12-40 - purely on size grounds. Bit, the 12-40 is an excellent lens so I don't think you can go wrong with either.