New Leica Ms -- now just called 'M' (no M10)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by WT21, Sep 17, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Leica announces 'M' 24MP live view full-frame CMOS rangefinder with movies: Digital Photography Review

Leica announces the M-E, a stripped-down 18MP full-frame rangefinder: Digital Photography Review

Now just called M and M-E. The M type240 has movie mode!

The M is CMOS

The M-E is the old CCD -- basically a re-branded M9, but instead of $6,995 new, it's $5,500 new. Some people with M9s I think will not be pleased with their resale value -- but they can afford it :)

On the M: Focus peaking, Live view and R mount compatability

"Leica has announced its latest M series rangefinder - the 24MP CMOS Leica M. The company says all future M models will also simply be called the 'M'. The latest model (referred to as 'Typ 240') becomes the first of its rangefinders to feature live view, and offers a choice of magnified view or focus peaking for precise through-the-lens focusing, allowing Leica to promise compatibilty with R-mount lenses. It also becomes the first M capable of movie shooting - capturing 1080p footage at 25 or 24 frames per second. It includes a 920k dot LCD with smartphone-style Gorilla Glass cover, and accepts the same plug-in EVF as used by the X2. Availability is scheduled for early 2013 with a retail price of $6,950 in the US and £5100 in the UK."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow..Impressive but its not OMD or Fuji X Pro 1.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Jokes apart , Leica should have done this before.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I personally love the old CCD :smile:
    (Now if only I could afford Leica glass...) :eek: :smile:

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That is the rub, isn't it.

Hmmmm... new M-E at $5,500. Maybe old M9s slip to $4K. Maybe I could that. Wait, what? $6K for two basic lenses?? Errrr... maybe not.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Kind of why in part, I thought that the M. Zuiko 75mm ƒ1.8 with its ED glass & HR elements was a steal! :wink:

6. Bhupinder2002

HAhah and funny thing is USD 339 Oly 45 mm 1.8 beats them in evey department.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Beats out what Leica glass? (Not Panasonic/Leica)

8. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    what is different in the M-E besides the color?...

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    OMD + Voigtlander glass. What?

The new M just confirmed that soon that there will more than Leica at the top of the mirrorless pro heap.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, waiting for the answer to that...not going to beat the current 50mm, 75mm or 90mm Summicrons, for example, even with software correction working for the m4/3 lenses.

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Well, OK, Leica glass is the best. I am hoping that there will be pro m43's options for glass and bodies in the near future. The OMD & GH3 are stellar current options. I don't mind spending $5K for a m43's quiver but I have a problem with ~$20K for the new M plus 3+ lenses. Yes, I do not think that neither Fuji nor Sony are going to provide a full quiver of pro bodies and bodies.

12. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    24 MP must make some really huge RAW files..

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wooohooo.... Me like!!!

In case someone hasn't pointed out something REALLY impressive about the announcement....

In a time when premium items have been appreciating in cost further further, Leica has managed to keep their price in check. Even releasing a lower end, lower cost model. Very impressive. I hope they can do the same across the board with their optics..... but something tells me that optics are a bit more difficult to keep under control due to cost of rare materials.

I'm in the camp that felt leica was too conservative in adopting new technologies into the M rangefinder system. Glad they are finally doing it. I'm also happy for the R-system shooters (what's left of them). It took almost 10 years but they finally have a solution.

I'm going to have to stick with my M8/M9, my lenses, and consider myself lucky. Life priorities... have changed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. usayit

Depends on your def of basic lenses...

You have good Voigtlanders that would put you way south of $6k.
    You have Summarits for $1500-$1900 each.
    You have a boat load of vintage glass to choose from.

but yeh... still a lot of cash.

15. usayit

Why do you have to start this again? This is trolling...

16. Bhupinder2002

I think it's great that Leica has sensed the modern trend and its pretty much basic these days to have fullHD and nice crisp LCD. None of these will obstruct anyone from enjoying Leica .The best part is price tag which isn't more and Infact it's less expensive now. Should we expect some M9s on eBay for USD3000-4000?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Maybe if I win a couple hundred million from Powerball....

18. usayit

hahaha...

The announcement has ruffled some of the Luddites at Leica forums a bit...

Its been an ongoing debate there on where Leica should take the system.... remain loyal to the original design versus being more forward looking embracing the digital times.

Very amusing.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ferraris aren't cheap & they never will be :smile:

Leica is what it is...no surprises here :smile:

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    But it makes great reading...if you like fiction. :rolleyes: