1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Leica M Gallery

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by digitalandfilm, Mar 16, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I noticed the new image gallery on Steve Huff Photo, and I find the images (while nice) somewhat unremarkable.

The OM-D and GH3 (along with various Fuji's) have comparable output, so I guess if you're planning on using Leica glass you have committed yourself.

I believe these were shot with the 50mm Summilux, so any comparison would have to be with premium glass.

Leica M Typ 240 Samples Gallery | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

• Like Like x 1
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Agreed. It proves that it's not about the camera.

I bought my E-M5's to fill the gaps where my M9's fall down. Those areas include higher ISO's, macro, longer lenses and fast AF. And the E-M5 has been perfect for me in those areas. The E-M5 has better DR as well. And I bought a new 135mm 3.4 APO Telyt and the 75mm f1.8 on the same day. One costs 4.5K the other $900.00. And they have almost identical reach and DOF carachteristics wide open. The Oly is actually a hair sharper than the Leica lens at 5 times the cost. At an imaging level there is no reason to buy a Leica over any other camera. Actually there's little reason to purchase any smaller format body over another one based on image quality alone any more. It's like we've gone full circle back to when a Leica and an Olympus both used the same film. It's just that the Leica uses slides (very crisp, good at low ISO, limited DR, Kodachrome colour) and cameras like the E-M5 use negative films (better at higher ISO's, lots of DR, not quite as crisp at low ISO's).

I do beleive Leicas have a different look (I'm processing a wedding now that has shots from three different Canon bodies, a pair of E-M5's and a pair of M9's and the difference in the M9 files is very obvious on my 27" screen). But it's not one of superiority. It's just different. You either like it or you don't.

However the shooting experience with a digital M is unique and if I were pressed to keep only one it would be the one I enjoy shooting with the most. Not the one with the bells and whistles or the best high ISO results. And while it makes absolutely no sense on a technical level I do slightly prefer the 135mm Leica even though common sense tells me that the cheaper, lighter and sharper lens should be an easy winner.

Life is strange like that. I'm strange like that. I suppose that's why we get on so well.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am not sure this is a good comparison to any camera. They just seem so uninspired.