New legacy lens user

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by stargate, Dec 29, 2013.

1. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    So, I pulled the plug and bought a Zuiko OM 50 f1.8 and an OM-m43 adaptor. This is my first legacy lens and I intend to try it for portraits and hopefully I will be able to focus it. I have a GX1 and LVF2 which I think will help. I will probably try it also with some OM extension tubes I have from my old film days (OM-4) and see if it makes a decent macro lens. The bad thing is that the lens is about to be delivered in 7 days and the adaptor in 25 days :frown:

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm sure you'll have fun experimenting with the 50/1.8. I did the same when I bought into u43, but TBH, legacy lenses weren't for me. I found the IQ (on both the 50/1.8 and a Cosina 100mm Macro I bought) to be fairly poor when wide open - lots of blooming, poor contrast and lack of sharpness. Things got better stopped down, but then there was all the mucking about with manual focus and manual stopping down. Not for me...

The Oly mZuiko 45/1.8 native lens is just stellar and knocks the old Zuiko 50/1.8 into touch IMHO.

3. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
  4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    How can there be such a contrast in views in the last two posts? I've just bought one of these as well, but haven't used in it anger yet - time will tell!

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Some use legacy glass and love it, others don't like the rendering it provides or the usage. Very few people seem to be in the middle. Either you will love using it, or not.

6. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Imo legacy glass is like hit or miss...depend on the quality of the glass.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most of us who love the old glass are older and used them back in the day. Heck one reason I went to m4/3 is so I could use some of my old lenses. I love it myself but it isn't for everybody.

25 days for the adaptor? what brand did you buy? Keep in mind that some adaptors don't allow infinity focus. Mostly they focus a bit beyond but some are the other way.

Extension tubes will work fine and a 50mm should make a good close-up lens.

8. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I agree 100%. Personally I love the legacy glass. I mostly use manual focus on everything anyway so it is nothing new. Plus the cost of a fast legacy is a drop in the bucket compared to a fast MFT lens. But it is an aquired taste

• Like Like x 1
  9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I too went kind of nuts with legacy glass. I went out and bought every piece of glass I came across. I actually have the Oly OM 50mm f1.8 and the 28mm f2.8 and the factory tube extenders. I do like them but as others say, the sharpness is not stellar wide open. I found that there are some real jewels out there, but you really got to know them and snap them up at cheap prices. Some of the best lenses I have are the Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7, the 50mm f1.4 Canon and the 50mm f3.5 Canon macro lens.
    BTW, I've gotten some very neat macro shots with the Oly legacy lenses using the extension tubes...

• Like Like x 1
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm actually a bit in between - love legacy glass (Contax Zeiss has a special place in my heart) but bit particularly on MFT. Simply because I 'see' prime lens shots between 35 and 50 mm FF, and the crop factor makes everything very long. And I like wide :)

So FF = legacy, crop = native. For me. Thankfully the Sony has filled that gap, so I get to go play again!

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    With the GX1, make sure you set the magnification to your desired setting (probably maximum) and size (I go full instead of the magnified-within-normal). In manual focus when you click the wheel in it will activate the magnification, also when you tap the screen. You'll want to use that since there isn't focus peaking.

Have fun! Legacy glass is very satisfying to use, even when you don't get the results you were after!

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Hi, Does the Olympus made adapter focus properly to infinity and is it worth the price they ask,thanks.

13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have a MF-2 and an Olly 50 f1.8. I was surprised to find that it does focus beyond infinity. On the bright side, it allows a positive mechanical connection to both the lens and the camera, no slop whatsoever.

14. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Don't these lenses have a hard stop at infinity? How can you focus beyond that I don't understand that,but thanks for the response..

15. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's a nice lens. A bit more compact than similar lenses from other makers.
    One thing it allows you to do with GX1 is control aperture during video. With native lenses video's all completely automatic and you can't set that.

16. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What happens is that if the adapter is slightly shorter than the difference in register measurements, putting the lens at the infinity setting will actually cause it to focus beyond that. All the adapter is doing is providing the required distance between the sensor and the back of the lens. It is also possible on some/most lenses to modify the hard stop on the lens to match infinity.

17. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks.

18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    No problem. If it helps, think of it as an un-extension tube for some adapters. Just like they cause you to lose infinity focus while gaining close focus, adapters that are too short lose close focus while gaining +infinity focus (not terribly useful, unfortunately).

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Olympus adaptor should focus correctly. The ones you have problems with are the cheap made-in-China ones.

20. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    My MF-2 / Olympus 50 combo does go ever so slightly beyond infinity (where is that exactly!). Taking it to the end stop, the most distant objects are slightly out of focus, backing it off corrects the situation. I can live with it.