1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Kowa lenses for m43 coming...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by letsgofishing, Jan 25, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    • Like Like x 3
  2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    These look big, like, really big. Not a big deal for cine shooters which these seem to be designed for, but too big for me for general purpose photography. I'll stick with the 7-14/4.

Being cine lenses its probably safe to assume these will not be budget lenses either.

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Great to have options out there...pretty soon we'll be awash in 25s haha. Though I doubt I'll buy any of these...not really fast enough to be interesting from that perspective or small enough to attract me. But that quick sample video of the 8mm showed extremely little distortion...(I really couldn't notice any), which is definitely an interesting point!!

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Being awash in 25s isn't a bad thing -- look at all the various nifty-fifties out there for 35mm. With any mature system you're going to see a lot of lenses in the 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm equivalent ranges.

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Depending on size and price (if there not too grossly "big") I would be interested in that 8.5mm F.2.8 lens... Could be faster and no AF but not many options out there for a rectilinear WA lens on M43.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I got a data sheet for the 12/2 back in Nov. it is about 90mm long including the original c-mount. The maximum diameter is 57mm with a 55mm filter thread. The weight is 270g. It looks like close focus is about 1:10.

So kind of big compared to some other m43 lenses, but I wouldn't call it huge. If the price is low enough I'd be interested in the 8.5 and the 12.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These are going to be pricey lenses! Kowa is a very good lens manufacturer from Japan. They make lenses for other companies as well as for themselves. When it has their name on it, it is expensive! Also note that Kowa is calling them "cine" lenses. Kowa has made some very nice movie/video production lenses in the past I bet these are going to be the same. Cine lenses have clickless aperture rings, geared focus rings and are marked in T-stops.

BTW there is a thread on this news already - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55486

8. letsgofishing

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I see that now - but I posted before that thread....:smile:

9. lerxt74

lerxt74 New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2014
    Hi All - I'm using the Kowa 8.5mm f2.8 lens - it is superb, very low distortion. I use it with the Olympus OMD EM-1 which it suits perfectly in terms of design and balance
    you can view some of my images on my website using it here:
    www.lifeinfourthirds.co.uk
    any questions - give me a shout

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I see you've chosen to only use kowa lenses... do you have some sort of affiliation with them?

Anyway you could tag which of the photos were taken with the 8.5mm? Also would like to see some higher res photos, to pixel peep.

11. letsgofishing

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Some high res images would be great - please!

12. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. letsgofishing

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan