1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Kodak S1 MFT images!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by twokatmew, May 30, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Interesting, looks like a Pen Wannabee with similar lines, adjustable LCD a la pen and the inevitable Olympus lens............or is it some clever photoshop work?

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I don't see an EVF, nor is there any accessory port. It looks like a tiny flash to me. I just saw this and thought it was interesting. Note that it has WiFi and its own app for remote control, though. :smile:

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Am I the only one that finds it amusing that under "related posts" it still has "Kodak will not produce a MFT camera" at FT4? Under pics of that exact camera?

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    That's an interesting and reasonably attractive camera (reminds me a bit of the E-PL2). I sincerely hope the quality, functionalty and image quality are there as well. Truly, the "real" Kodak should have been making cameras like these.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I wonder what sensor this uses. I guess anything that gets people to buy m43 cameras is good because they will then buy more lenses increasing the volume and making things better and cheaper for everyone.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Wouldn't it be a hoot if the sensor was a new one from Truesense - the Kodak sensor unit that was spun off a couple of years ago? I wonder if the old 12mp :43: sensors are even in production any longer. It might be a great way for Panasonic to make more money off the old design and dies. If not, the 16mp Sony might be the only option for the system - at least right now.

7. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Surely this will strengthen the m4/3 position compared to "one-brand" mirrorless lens systems, like Samsung, Sony, Fujifilm

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Didn't notice that! :eek: I guess when you're talking rumors, things change quickly, eh? :biggrin:

9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Looks a lot like my E-PL2. Too bad it can't take my E-VF2 or else this could be a very interesting option/upgrade to me depending on price.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I welcome an entry level m4/3 body. I have no plan for one myself but if they are priced low enough they might make good Christmas gifts. They would also be good for kids or even for a day at the beach{or similar high risk outings where you don't want to damage your good bodies}.

That is an OLD posting. Prior to the original Kodak's collapse and before it got bought by JK Imaging.

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Those are kinda mediocre product shots. Yeah, I know, not contributing much to the discussion... but goodness me.

12. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Possibly -- though I see it as also cementing the 4/3 format as a legitimate sensor size besides APS-C and FF. Unlike the 1" CX format which is only used by a single company's ICL system.

(I think 1" is a great size for compact cameras though).

13. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It will be interesting to see how it compares in price and capabilities with refurbs and the regular clearance sales of older bodies. Panasonic bodies are often easy to pick up cheap a year after introduction, for example.

14. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Meh...

15. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    according to one of the other rumors reported about it, it will have a sony sensor...

16. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    This may be a sign that the m43 mount is becoming the general purpose mount that the Pentax screw and bayonet mounts became for third-party vendors.

17. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    To me, this sounds like a good thing, thought I'm not completely sure why it sounds good. Stability, I suppose.

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    It will encourage more manufacturers to create more m43 lenses.
    More m43 lenses will make other systems, like NEX, Fujifilm, Samsung look exotic.

19. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Reading reports and postings here and elsewhere, I find the focus (sic) on the name to be peculiar. Yes, the brand evokes a lot of memories and emotions for many of us but, let's be fair, how would we react if it didn't have the Kodak name on it?

Personally, I'm happy to see another entrant into the market: more choice, more users with whom to share experience, more (cheaper?) second hand stuff.

The scarcity of S1 specs is frustrating but I find remote control and built in wifi appealing. Looking forward to details of price and examples of image quality.