New Kit - testing out the goods

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Steve-H, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Steve-H

Steve-H Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    So I have about 10 days before heading out on my trip to the EU, and my new kit should be arriving tomorrow. I must admit however, Im abit anxious after reading all the blogs and forums about bad lenses, E-M5s banding at high ISO when held sideways, etc etc. I'd like to catch that kinda stuff now, rather than the 2nd night of my trip when Im reviewing the first images.
    That said, what's the best method for testing out all this stuff ? I have an E-M5 with the Panny 7-14, and the Panny 25mm. I also got a Minolta MD adapter so I can shoot some of my Rokkor legacy glass.

Thanks !
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well, there are two approaches. One is to test for known flaws. Is the lens softer on one side than the other? Does the camera band in a given position? Etc.

Personally I find this rather boring, and invariably if you look hard enough, you will find *something* wrong, so the question becomes whether it's enough to send the gear back.

The second approach is to try to emulate your normal shooting habits for a few days, and see if anything crops up. There're no guarantees, but in my experience that gives a much better sense of what you can expect from your trip.

All that said, while problems do occur, I would hardly consider them the norm.