"new" Kiron 28 f/2.0

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by billhuegerich, Oct 3, 2012.

1. billhuegerich

billhuegerich Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 27, 2011
    I came across a used Kiron 28 f/2 for sale locally, and couldn't resist. I've heard all about the oily aperture blades, so I was looking forward to being able to inspect it before buying. Let's just say, this thing is as clean as any used lens I have ever seen before. The glass looks spotless, I can't see anything on the aperture blades, and everything operates smoothly. I took my OMD along (with Minolta/m43 adapter), and one test shot at f/2 was all it took to close the sale. So, I thought I'd share some samples, in case anyone else is considering one of these, for a normalish lens. None of these pictures have had any editing done to them, other than cropping/resizing for web.

Flower at f/2.0, to show the bokeh.

House at f/2.0.

House stopped down to f/2.8.

Here's a 100% crop of the flower leaves to show detail at f/2.0.

100% crop of the house at f/2.0.

And 100% crop of the house stopped down to f/2.8.

Finally, here is what the lens looks like. It's a bit big with the adapter, but seems to fit nicely in my hands to operate.

Bottom line, wide open, sure, there is a tiny bit of softness, CA, and flatter contrast, but not bad enough to stop me from using it. I find the bokeh pleasing enough, it can throw a background nicely out of focus. It is pretty easy to focus through the OMD EVF even without zooming in, but with the shallow DOF possible, zooming always guarantees focus perfection, if you have time to use it. I had previously tried an old Konica 28 f/3.5 on m43, and hated it. So, I was reluctant to buy this focal length. All I can say is, the quality/character of a lens makes all the difference in the world, because I really like this lens a lot, and plan to leave it on the body quite a bit. If you ever see a deal on one in good shape, I doubt you will be disappointed. Now, if I could only find a deal on a Helios 44M-4... :)

2. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Hi Bill,

It's good to see this lens can work well. I knocked this lens in the Normal (20-30mm) - Mu-43 Member Reviews. You might want to add some counterpoint to balance mine..

My copy just cannot deliver a useable image at F2 at focus distances greater than 20 feet. I done numerous tests to make sure it wasn't user error. Odd thing is that the image looks OK in the viewfinder when focusing.

At close focus, say 5 feet, it's acceptable. Somewhere around f8, I can trust it, but might as well use the 14-42 at that point.

Mine is a Kiron branded under the Vivitar name, so that may be part of my problem.

Attached Files:

3. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    When I used film cameras, I owned, at various times, three fast 28s, all in PK mount: Kiron 28/2 (55mm filter), Pentax SMC 28/2K (52mm filter), and Vivitar Series One 28/1.9 (67mm filter).

The Vivitar produced the most pleasing shots: richly colored (almost too colorful) and sharp enough when stopped down to f/2.8.

The Pentax, which had been codesigned by Zeiss, had a floating element! It was excellent and delivered results that looked the same as the superb Pentax 35/2K, excelling at edge (corner) sharpness. But I sold it because it deserved to be used by someone who would use it more often.

The Kiron disappointed me. Compared with the other two 2s, it wasn't nearly as sharp; its colors were dull and greenish, and the distortion was evident. The only thing in its favor was that it was considerably smaller and lighter.

I ended up selling all three 28s, and my lone 24, to streamline my set.
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I got rid of my Kiron 28mm f2 because I really dislike the bokeh on this lens, and I much prefer any of the slower 28mm lenses I own.
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I also have a 28 f2 Vivitar (kiron made). It can be a bit finicky sometimes, but overall it is a keeper (especially since I have the close focus version). I loved it before I got tbe 20mm, but I still like the renditions it puts out.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app