New kid in town, trying out a NEX 5N

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nianys, Sep 5, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I caved in and bought myself a NEX 5N.

There are a lot of things I love a million more on the GX-1. The looks, the built, the screen estate, the touch operation, the faster AF, the ultimate User Interface, etc.

But ONE thing shines real bright on the NEX and it's IQ. OH MY GOD. Focus Peaking is killer and DOF control is a real treat.

Here's how it looks with the little dinky DIY flash set-up I've worked out :

2d0b74b549a3a037a2826e842e92f857_3de.

And here area few shots I grabbed with it :

f98326731bb5c8449321524eff560561_e1d.

d7e307ad30b3d12f014c2e3cf35122b6_3de.

64e7f4bd25e6ec5c5a734130103ef95d_3de.

83bf0b0743f8f75a9c261e8d6e55a2c4_3de.

So far the NEX and the GX-1 are getting along just fine ;)

• Like Like x 6
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's a nice combo. Just be aware...the IQ on the NEX can be very addictive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Same here

I think I'm going to get one too, had the chance to play with one for a couple of days and, as you say, there are things m43 does a whole lot better, but you can't deny the IQ is hard to beat at the size and price point.

4. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

And the addiction kicks in as soon as day 2 !
    As a shallow DOF lover, and as much as I love the GX-1 from my heart (probably my soulmate camera from an aesthetic and operational point of view) and think it is the best all around m4/3 body so far, there's always been something bothering me about the smaller sensor (I come from FF, so the loss of DOF control is pretty abrupt).

Now shooting the NEX for 2 days I see little loss in IQ compared to my beloved D700. Manual glass is insanely fun, and there is the 50/1.8 existing, and the soon to be released 35/1.8. The only small camera option that NEX doesn't take care of too well is telephoto, but then m4/3 has only slowish options as well.

The EX-1 would have stolen my heart except it has no focus peaking and that's something I demand from now on.

I wrote my first impressions on NEX vs m4/3 here :
    The heart has its own (il)logic | itsnotthecamera

I wish Sony would steal a few UI designers from Panny, but even with the quirks and dumb P&S like limitations, the NEX shines bright. I'm now seriously eyeballing the 7, or 6...

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Marla ..
    I am thinking of selling my PL25 and getting NEX 5N with 16 mm for low light and walk around street shooting kit. Now this where OLy OMD comes to the party .It is beats NEX 5N in IQ and DR and there are many comparasions on net . I handles my black OMD only for 30 minutes(I returned it and waiting for silver ) and I can tell u GX1 is not in the same league at all .NEw Sony señsor in OMD is a start performer. HAving said that I am keepn on getting NEX 5N as well
    Cheers

6. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

As I said in my blogpost, there is much more to a camera than its sensor. And it's great that there are different bodies to suit everybody's taste. I was not trying to get into a my-NEX-is-better-than-your-OMD game ;) For me the OM-D is just an awful camera to hold and the Oly interface is goulish, while the GX-1 is my dream camera operation wise. Now, a m4/3 sensor will always deliver more DOF than an APS-C one, reason that I'm willing to get familiar with the NEX though the UI and body I want is that of the GX-1.
    I've seen many pics from the OM-D and the DR is outstanding, no doubt it's a great camera, it's just not for me. The additional DOF control on the NEX is very, very real. By all means give it a try, I'm sure you should enjoy it a lot. (but I would definitely keep that PL25 for your OM-D !!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks . I know what u mean .. I think I will let GX1 go then . I will end up with four camera bodies if I buy NEX right now . I will have to sell one as I have given my EPL2 to my daughter and I will tend to keep 5N . My wife and daughter bought OMD for me .If she would asked me , I would have gone with NEX7 Actually . Now I think NEX5N + 20 mm will suit street photography and It can easily slip into shirt pocket.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I think 5N + pancake is a pretty good proposition. And I think once anyone sees the NEX IQ (I'm talking DOF, DR and noise here), it's very hard to not love it. As wonderful as the last m4/3 sensors may be, the blur advantage for portrait shooters can not be overlooked.
    Looking at a 7 myself now !

9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'm not seeing any real difference between the 5N and an OM-D for instance with the same MF lenses. The 16mm is nice and light, but even at f5.6 or f8 the edges are, to be nice, "soft". I've used several 16mm lenses and sold a crapload of them. The IQ is appreciably worse in the corners with the 24mp sensor (Nex-7) than the 16mp and 14.2mp when using the 16mm.

10. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I'm not shooting wide angle, I like longer than normal fast primes shot wide open. My camera nearly never sees 5.6, LOL

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Marla, enjoy the new camera! Clearly you are a passionate person, and have a cool new cam to take pictures of your stunning little daughter! You might want to visit talknex.com (our sister site) to share experiences with other NEX users.

It is a bit unfounded though, IMO, to assume that if we could just see what you see, we'd all love NEX. I had a NEX 3 for 6 months including on a DC trip, and got some great shots, a NEX 5 for 2 months and a 5n for a short time. I tried the same native lenses on NEX that I did on m43. Many others have also tried NEX, yet came back to m43 (some of course stayed with NEX, some moved on to Fuji, etc. and some use multiple systems).

It's great you finally found NEX, but it's not the perfect camera for everyone.

12. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    There's a lot more to a camera than a sensor, but the 5N does have a really great sensor! ;) It's amazing how much you can torture even the JPEG's in post without bringing up a lot of noise, etc.

I generally shoot JPEG out of convenience, and the 5N produces really nice JPEG's. I still prefer the user control of noise reduction that the Oly's provide (I always turn it down low), the 5N has too much NR, but the JPEG's really pop with great 'apparent' sharpness and detail. The CA auto-correction also turns the kit zoom and 16mm into very usable lenses IMO (I didn't like them at all on the older bodies.) The 16mm is too wide for my taste though, and the 18-55mm is too big for my liking.

The M 4/3 lens selection is incomparably better, hopefully the new 35mm f/1.8 is a good one. I'd really like a 28 to 35mm equivalent pancake though (there are 3 such lenses to choose from in M 4/3!)

Finally, the 5N video looks great too. I think not quite as sharp as say the GH bodies (from reading comparisons), but great saturation and overall look.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I would debate that a lot of what the OMD is now is primarily due to its sensor.

Don't believe it? Take a stab at what our little world would look like now if the OMD was released with the E-P3 sensor....

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's a combo, IMO. I agree, sensor is a big part. But the OMD controls are gorgeous, and is one reason I'm going with that instead of the G5. It's also one reason why I'm not (yet) pre-ordering the XE1.

If it was all about the sensor, then we'd all have D800s!

15. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Not by much. They are pretty much the same height sensor so you are going to get pretty much the same DoF out of them with equivalent lenses (crop factor APS-C -> u4/3 is 1.25). The problem is, as has been said, there are very few equivalent lenses in NEX. You're limited to a bunch of average zooms, a couple of expensive primes and adapted lenses (which you're using above by the looks of it). I admit the sensor is better in the Sony though, but that's about it.

And I'm speaking as someone who likes DoF and has moved from a 5D II (all Canon kit gone) to a G5 in the last few weeks. I bought :43: as I believe in the format now the decent lenses have started to appear.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No one is posting "gorgeous OMD controls" threads. They are posting IQ threads, low-light threads, DR threads, all of which are sensor-type threads. :smile:

17. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I never handled the O-MD myself, but have used other Oly bodies. The E-P1 interface (soft and hard) was just fine IMO except the rear dial felt finicky to me, so moving both dials up top in the O-MD seems like a great improvement. The improved IBIS and weather-sealing also seem like very nice touches.

But yeah, the new sensor is a big deal. It ordinarily wouldn't be, except Oly had been stuck with the same sensor for so long. I think some people are buying the O-MD for the overall package, and others are buying it because the new sensor simply isn't available yet in the cheaper bodies (but soon will be.)

All of these cameras are good enough that you can generally make them work for you, whatever their deficiencies. I think the most important thing is which particular feature set feels best and most natural to you.

18. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    How the forum has changed in these last few months. It used to be the NEX was "The camera that cannot be named." Just saying "NEX" used to start a firestorm with questions about why someone who has a NEX is even on this forum. Now, it seems like there's a new NEX thread everyday.

19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. The controls have not been seen as the strength of this camera. Somewhere between the way the OP describes them (ghoulish) and WT21s assessment (gorgeous) is probably fair. Though I am much more in WT21s camp.

What makes the E-M5 special, I think, in no particular order, is the sensor, the IBIS and the styling. Not saying other things aren't important, but I think those are the big 3.

20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I like having lots of threads comparing how similar cameras compare to :43:. Might make more sense to go to Amin's other sites to discuss them, but many of us have some sense of neighborhood here and likely want to hang on to that.