New Kenko filters are unusable.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
Now, I bought these on ebay, and I get the whole "caveat emptor" thing. These are Kenko filters sold as a pair, new (for $10, shipped, so maybe that was my clue), and the foil seals were intact when I received them. See the pictures for how they look. I have tried cleaning each side of the filters thoroughly, and nothing helps. is this common with older filters? Or is it just a garbage brand? I thought Kenko would be ok.

Attachments

• kenko_polarizer.jpg
    kenko_polarizer.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 116
  • kenko_uv.jpg
    kenko_uv.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 113

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Now, I bought these on ebay, and I get the whole "caveat emptor" thing. These are Kenko filters sold as a pair, new (for $10, shipped, so maybe that was my clue), and the foil seals were intact when I received them. See the pictures for how they look. I have tried cleaning each side of the filters thoroughly, and nothing helps. is this common with older filters? Or is it just a garbage brand? I thought Kenko would be ok.
That looks like fungus to me.

Do not contaminate any of your other photo gear with them ...

They are both a bin job.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
On the upside, even though the seller said no returns, I sent them the pictures of the filters, and they gave me a refund and told me to throw the filters away.

Real Name
Andrew L
On the upside, even though the seller said no returns, I sent them the pictures of the filters, and they gave me a refund and told me to throw the filters away.
You could try boiling the filters in water and then cleaning them and setting them aside to see if the fungus survives. If it's all on the outside of the glass, I would think that would take care of it. On the other hand, if the fungus has damaged optical coatings, then it's probably not worth using them on your lenses.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
You could try boiling the filters in water and then cleaning them and setting them aside to see if the fungus survives. If it's all on the outside of the glass, I would think that would take care of it. On the other hand, if the fungus has damaged optical coatings, then it's probably not worth using them on your lenses.
Nah, I already tossed them. Its not worth the hassle. The polarizer probably wouldnt survive anyway.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I never even heard of lens fungus until seeing a thread here about "strange marks" on a lens here a few months ago, and now there's filter fungus as well. I haven't seen it on any of my old filters from 10+ years ago, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Seems like the seller has experience with it though, telling you to throw the filters away.

Latest threads

Top Bottom