New JEALOUS of OM-D E-M5 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by everythingsablur, May 4, 2012.

1. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    In a similar vain to Amin's https://www.mu-43.com/f42/new-om-d-e-m5-owners-thread-25465/ thread, I thought it would be funny to have a central thread for the rest of us muggles to lament not purchasing an OM-D E-M5, discuss the reasons we keep telling ourselves we shouldn't buy an E-M5 (because the more we say it, the more we hope it will be true), and supporting each other's decisions to hold onto our "inferior" PENs and Pannys despite the proven existence of a unicorn in camera form.

I suggest all photos in this thread be of the respective poster longingly staring at an E-M5, having an E-M5 torn from your hands by a shop clerk, or infuriatingly cursing either your bank balance or the litany of stores listing it as backordered or out of stock. Single tears only please. There's no crying in baseball.

Sincerely,

Incredibly Jealous Non E-M5 Owner

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 12
  2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'll buy one when the price is better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Tooo funny!

• Like Like x 1
  4. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Problem solved!!!

1080108_1024x768_.

• Like Like x 19
  5. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I'll buy one when my E-PL2 shot counter reaches 10,000! That's about 4000 shots to go!

And, no, I'm not taking 4000 shots of my cat, unless I can post them here!

Just found out the control dials have really excellent touch to them, so there went that excuse.

• Like Like x 2
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think this fall, I will buy an EPM2 with the new sensor (fingers crossed) and an EM5 when it gets down to around $700 used. Then I'll have a two body approach, and a great set-up for travel or handling larger lenses. Then I'll have an excuse to get the 70-300 and buy back a 25/1.4!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    You know, last summer I got the Panny.

It was a clear deal that I would have to invest to a couple of good lenses.
    Having done that, I was pretty sure it would be all I need to do nice small scale photography. This is what I also tell my girlfriend.

Until my cousin talks to me about a 1.4 Summilux.
    It's not the cheapest glass in the :43: market, but I told myself that's no doubt worth it.

Afterwards, I tell my girlfriend I expect this to be the last photography related purchase for a while.

Until I realize that my old laptop would not be fast enough for raw photo editing.

So I upgrade my computer, telling my girlfriend that should by far be the last purchase in many, many months.

Then what happens is that I go for a nice long holiday and come back with 500+ great shots that I would all like to post process.
    My brand new computer IS brand new - but it's not actually very fast. And the display is crappy. I have a talk with my brother who's just got a new iMac.

...and I find myself with a brand new iMac in ADDITION with the brand new slower box.

I have problems telling my girlfriend.

You know, having processed all those nice holiday pictures and some of them really look nice enough to be seen on the wall. So I order printouts which are the size of Alaska. You know the cost.

I realize I also have to get frames for the printouts!

I don't mention about the cost to my girlfriend, but I know what she's thinking.

At this point, I honestly thought "this is it for this year or so".

Until my cousin. Again...
    ...and I realize that a portrait lens would be really nice. I was really missing something like that I also realize that for another trip we were planning, an ultra wide lens would be very nice for landscapes and capturing the "being together" feeling of a group of people.

"That should be it for the lenses now. Really.", I tell my girlfriend.

But my new set of lenses do not fit in my old small camera bags. (You can check the end result in the Bags and more bags thread).

So...
    So it's my money, not my girlfriend's.
    But I do have a face to lose.

There's no way I'm going to tell her "Hey dear, remember when I got a new computer last fall and in a couple of months got another new one... Yeah, that... Now, you know, about the camera body..."

• Like Like x 18
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Just wait until you get married, Panu....it doesn't get any easier. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I know this supposed to be a light-hearted and joke-filled thread. But I'm sorry. I have never taken a photo with my E-P3 in the rain, nor do they suffer from motion blur that would have been fixed with 5-way IBIS. I rarely feel the need to shoot at ISO 3200, but I have a camera for that.

As great as it is, I just don't need it. My camera does what I ask of it. And while it's a wonderful piece of gear, it'll depreciate just as fast as all the other m4/3 cameras. I'll buy one next spring in the classifieds for $550.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Luke, your logic and reasoning is sound.

But I didn't see the jealousy required to participate in this thread. C'mon now, you've got to have a little bit of jealousy hiding under your surface.

• Like Like x 2
  11. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    My (not serious) list of reasons I am not getting an E-M5:

1. I feel like a rebel (not the capital R kind...)
    2. Waiting for DigitalRev to show me what it looks like in Magenta or Pink
    3. My wife might divorce me
    4. Who needs weather-sealing when you have plastic bags?
    5. Despite naming it the E-M5, we all know it's really their 4th generation camera, only they skipped numbering it with a 4 because that's bad luck to the Chinese and some other Asian cultures. Much like hotels, I KNOW the 5th floor is really the 4th floor; calling it the 5th floor doesn't make it not the 4th floor. E-M5 is still bad luck according to this logic and my 1/16th Chinese ancestry...
    6. It looks too different from my GF1 or E-P3 to pass off as always having been in the house
    7. I would need to start coordinating lenses to match the chosen body colour
    8. I would need both body colours to prevent the above
    9. My wife might kill me
    10. Waiting for IBIS to prevent disturbances in both space AND time. Yes, I want 5-axis 4-dimensional IBIS.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I don't want to be a muggle!

I'm only here, because I can't find a freakin' OMD that is being sold at retail price anywhere!!

:)

13. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    My new toy will put the hurt on the Oly. Hulk, smash !

Does passive aggressive jealousy count ? :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I effing WANT one...I'm just trying to be totally sensible with my money. I want one, I want one!

Is that better?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Yes.....and YOUR Oly is DOPE!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm starting a new thread called the "I hate the new OMD EM-5 owner's thread" because they have it and and I don't!

• Like Like x 4
  17. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I'm going to paraphrase Armanius from the Owner's thread...

WE ARE THE 99%!

#occupymu43dotcom

• Like Like x 6
  18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Hell yeah! Should we go protest outside Amin's house? He was able to score a silver OMD!!! Let's redirect the occupy Boston folks over there! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    With the newborn I try to resist the urge and act like a wise and responsible father.

But a nagging voice keeps telling me the e-p1 lousy AF won't keep up with my son for more than a couple of month now, and that it would be a pity to miss his first steps for lack of adequate technology. Plus weather sealing would come up really handy at meals time now...

See the dilemma ?

Cheers,

• Like Like x 3
  20. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is this site called OM-D.com ? I must have the wrong place

• Like Like x 3