1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New-ish member from Denver

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Terrier, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Terrier

Terrier Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Andy
    Hi, my name is Andy and I joined up in May, not long after purchasing an OMD-EM1. I'm an academic librarian and archivist who deals mostly with digital initiatives. That's library-speak for digitizing special collections so the world can view them without coming to Denver. I've been photographing since the 1960's and my transition to digital has had its rocky moments.

At work, my department has a Nikon kit with a D800, D610 and 4 lenses, 3 of which are heavy f/2.8 zooms. We use that kit and a large scanner for the majority of our projects. I started shopping for my own full frame DSLR in March while planning for a big Euro trip that turned into an Alaska cruise after a I had a bad road bike crash. The destination turned out to be irrelevant while camera shopping because it didn't take me long to realize that I didn't want to lug around a kit that was anything close to the mass of my Nikon kit at work. My finalists were the Sony A7, the Fuji XT-1 and the EM-1. The things that sold me on the Oly were the small lenses (compared to the A7) and the build quality (compared to the Fuji). As a starter kit, I have the 12-40 f/2.8 and the 60 f/2.8 macro. Once the Oly 40-150 f/2.8 comes out, I'll add it or the Lumix 35-100 to round out the kit.

I have posted once before this and I've also contributed a couple of images. I've found this forum to be extremely useful so thanks in advance to the members and moderators. I'll post a link to our digital repository in case anyone is interested in seeing some of my staff's work.

http://rudr.coalliance.org/fedora/repository/codr:3329 A link to the Roitz collection of photographs. Charlie was a well known Colorado photographer (and Regis U. alum) who helped establish Colorado University's photography program. This is a project I've been doing on my own during an about to end sabbatical.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Welcome aboard Andy.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Welcome. Interesting work you do.

4. Terrier

Terrier Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Andy
    Thanks for the encouragement. I found out today that our digital repository is having problems with its image viewer. That should be fixed shortly but it's always had problems with the Chrome browser. Firefox and Safari will display images in the viewer once our ADR team fixes the issue.