1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New IR focussing: a red herring/false trail?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by thearne3, Jun 30, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    With all the excitement around the official launch of the new Pens, I'm surprised that nothing has surfaced regarding the IR patents for focussing. Have I missed something?

If there is no IR-related technology being deployed, then the R in the new lenses may just refer to 'Revised' or 'Retro' (metal finish), ie, cosmetic, rather than special IR coatings, etc. Oly has referred only to the enhanced processor as the explanation for the speed increase. This may mean that a firmware upgrade in the existing kit zoom II, or the 40-150mm would give comparable results.

I'll be interested to see what exhaustive reviews with both Oly and Panny lenses shows.

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    :thiagree:

I.R.H. = infra-red herring technology.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Good point. After reading what dpreview said, it appears that lenses with the MSC designation may only need an upgrade in firmware. Unless someone actually pulls the sensor apart and digs deep, we won't know exactly "how".

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Camera companies patent technology without actually using it. I would not call that a red herring. The upgrades could also simply be new lens profiles for earlier cameras.

5. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I didn't mean to imply it was intentional on Oly's part...only that we as a group MAY have been following a false trail.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify! (changed title) :thumbup:

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Scouring the various websites, I can't find anything that talks about the IR patent. It makes me wonder if

1. The new focusing in the E-P3 doesn't use the tech. The 12mp sensor is a revision of the current one without the IR pixels.
    2. Not really much mention on continuous focus and its speed on the various websites. My guess is that if the patent had been implemented, this would be a huge sell for olympus.

So, my guess is that the patent implementation comes in maybe a pro model of some sorts and all the current MSC lenses can single shot focus fast.

7. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    In the press release, Olympus uses the word "Re-sculpted" when referring to the new 14-42mm. This gives me the impression that it is just a cosmetic update.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The IR aspect could just be part of the Bayer mask, which CAN be changed on an old chip.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thom Hogan made a comment on 43rumors stating he did not think that this new chip has the IR capabilities. He mentioned that one of his sources would be able to find out at some Olympus tech meeting today or something.

Another thing I noticed is that now there is a 17mm MSC lens which was not officially announced, yet it can be purhased as a kit with the E-P3. Not sure if this is a typo or not.

10. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Nothing on the Olympus site re MSC version. Could you reference where you saw that? Definitely strange that Oly is packaging one of it's oldest lenses with the new E-P3! I'd be happier with the 12 or 45 in a package...

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Look about half way down this page:

Olympus PEN Lite and PEN Mini announced and previewed: Digital Photography Review.

Yeah, not sure if its a typo or in fact a revised lens.

12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A new chip can be made with a new mask but replacing an existing mask with a new one may be possible (I never heard of such a thing) but cost prohibitive.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Olympus Corporation makes all kinds of imaging devices, as I mentioned when this IR rumor had first surfaced. Really, this patent could have been for ANYTHING. Maybe for a medical scanner, an industrial scope, or who knows what else? Olympus makes them all.

14. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Rumors only sometimes turn into reality; I think that the AF speed is primarily do to Dual-core TruePic VI processor. If IR"H" was true we would know by now.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it means that 1-2 years from now we'll all have to replace our "R" lenses for the "IR" versions :biggrin:.

16. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    With all the sample of video of fast AF I just want to know how fast the new AF with older lens such as 4/3 lens is there any improvement? If the fast AF work hand in hand only with new lens there will be quite many m4/3 and 4/3 lens being discontinued and replaced with II R version. Time to look for 2nd hand lenses...?

17. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    From what I've read the existing MSC lenses will require only a software upgrade to take advantage of the AF speed. This does not seem to apply to the 17mm lens, which, strangely, is the only prime being offered in the E-P3 kits... I guess Oly thinks it will be fast enough for most.