1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New iPhones are announced

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by masayoshi, Sep 13, 2018.

1. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    While we are talking about m43 and FF, Apple announced new iPhones.
    One thing notable for me was 'pro capture' in iPhone. Jump to 3:50 mark.
    Of course, it doesn't have RAW pro capture. It doesn't have two card slots (duh:biggrin:). The pro capture would probably have rolling shutter, but so what? Waterproof, live streaming video, slow motion @4K 60P, instant sharing, etc etc. These are the features 'real' cameras need to compete with, regardless of m43 or FF. For those of you who say it's a fixed FL, there are already cheap wide/fisheye/attachments, and some phone holders that allow zoom lenses (for ILC). I joked in another thread, next 'high end Olympus body' is iPhone holder, but it's getting real. Stabilized iPhone holder with Oly 300mm Pro could be the best birding camera!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Charlie
    There is a hunting show on our local television where the dude uses a mobile phone attached to a Swarovski 60X spotting scope on a small tripod. The video and stills he gets, is of a very high quality. Nothing wrong with it, works like a charm. Most likely cameras for most of us, will be history in ten years from now.

3. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Charlie
    Oh yeah, especially full frame ones... :) 

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    Given the quality of Swarovski kit (and comensurate prices) you would hope he would get a decent image or two!:) 

Also, better 'hunting' through a scope attached to a camera than one attached to a rifle!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The phones look nice. I will be interested to see how the X R does with the faukeh relative to the X S since it only has a single camera.

If I had to pick one, without knowing all of the specs, I'd probably go with the X R. It's the cheapest, still has a good camera on it, can do the faukeh thing, and has a nice screen (is it better than the screen in the X S? The few videos I watched seemed to make it appear that way).

Having said all that, the 6S+ I have is still working great. I love that I can plug the phone in to charge AND have headphones plugged in at the same time. I bought mine when the 7 came out and they did away with the headphone jack (wow, it's 4 years old now).

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I want to like them, but to get the regular XS model with enough storage upgrade we are talking $1150+tax. That's REAL camera money. That's enough to buy a nice laptop. People say it doesn't matter because of payment plans, but do people really not notice $50+ a month (for 2 years) on their bill? (And you have to add insurance and support plans now because it's such an expensive device that you will most likely drop at some point. So maybe it's more like $60+/m.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The payment plans are crazy. “Oh yeah, but it’s only $50 a month”. FOR TWO YEARS!

Just another example of people overstepping their financial bounds in order to show that they have the latest and the greatest. Makes zero sense to me. Financing a house? Yes, that makes sense. Financing a car, mmm... maybe. Financing a phone? Hell no, that’s crazy!

Either you can afford it, or you can’t. Hell, I could walk down to the Apple store and buy one all cash if I really wanted to. But $700+ for a phone is legit crazy IMO. And really, what does it do that my 6s+ doesn’t? I can make calls, send texts, post on social media, watch video, etc. Sure, the picture quality is pretty shit, but if I want to take pictures, I’ll take my real cameras. Lord knows I’ve spent enough money on those...

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I think more importantly is what can it do that the high quality Chinese competitors cannot do for far less money? Go look at what OnePlus offers vs Apple XS for literally half the money - and they still offer a headphone jack, too!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    No hp socket and only 12MP, but many of buyers would still be complaining that Panasonic only has 20MP and no headphone socket.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. sbm

sbm Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Texas
    Sam
    I shot a panorama of some clouds recently — one with my iPhone X, one with the GX85’s similar pano mode, and guess which result I preferred?

If there isn’t at least one camera company attempting to work with Apple to make a camera version of CarPlay happen, they’re all fools, because as someone who just spent the past month buying equipment for my GX85 every week, it’s what I want: a slot where the 3” LCD is on the back to dock my iPhone. A decent lens and a grippable body paired with the computational brilliance they keep pouring into the iPhone would be unmatched.

Apple has already disrupted the point and shoot market. Would it really take that much to go a step further? I think not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    I really wonder if this idea could be fleshed out. Would it be possible to just have the standard built in lens, and then have a tiny bayonet mount to add zoom lenses and what not. I know there are already conversion lenses, but what if you could add a proper travel zoom kind of lens? That said, for professional use, hard controls will always win. Of course you could make those modular too. It already exists in some unterwater dive cases, that have a plug into the phone, so that you have physical controls on the outside (and proper wetlenses even).

12. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Charlie
    Most of us are here because we don’t want to carry around big bulky, heavy equipment.
    I have an iPad mini, if it was a phone, and I could attach some lenses to it... I would most likely throw my new m5 Olympus in the trash...

• Sad Sad x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  13. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Mu-43 Top Veteran

They already do.

It’s called f/1.2 lenses at $1k each compared to a “free” app. That fixed mindset is exactly how Japan’s optical companies are taking on Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. They are locked into a distinct , engineering, path dependent mindset.

14. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    I think it will take a few more years and phones will have reached a similar point as 1inch compacts in that they are good enough for most purposes. But so far, we have not really had a good solution to the single focal length option. Real photographers will stay with normal cameras until that changes, and while we are not a big group in comparison to the smart phone crowd, we are apparently still enough that a handful of manufacturers can make money off us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was thinking of a refurb 7 -- they are pretty well priced. But honestly my 6 (battery replaced this year) is doing OK. It's sluggish, but is it $400-500+ sluggish?

I think I'm more interested in the Apple Watch 4. GPS, improved accelerometers for different exercise tracking than just running, and an ECG.

So....keeping the older phone gives me money for the watch.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  16. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Panorama mode is pure garbage on most cameras, I will agree. But you don't need $1000 phone to do a phone panoramas, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yes. Now do a proper panorama with your camera (L-bracket, Pano head, RAW files that are edited and stitched together), and then print it 5 or 6 feet wide, and let me know which you prefer.

If you're simply sharing stuff on social media, why even both with a real camera? People are only looking at an image with ~2k pixels on the long edge. You don't need 16 or 20MP to share on Facebook or Instagram.

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

We are there or very close, but the problem is the price trajectory. An iPhone XS with enough storage for a photo trip costs as much or more than an RX100 5/6, and WAY more than a LX10 or G7X II.

In your mind there's no use case between viewing on a phone and 6 feet wide prints?

• Like Like x 1
  19. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was holding onto my iPhone 6 with the intent to upgrade. But the more I think about it -- if I spend a ton of money, I'll get a device that is quicker and smoother at distracting me. It will be interesting to see where sales goes. Its sort of like the movies in the US -- ticket revenue might be up, but number of tickets sold is down.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I think you will find that several other camera manufactures did at least as much if not more than Apple.

I laughed so hard when i saw this. It says so much about the phones are going to replace all cameras crowd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.