New Initiative! Members Only Forum : Expressive Travel Photography

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Brian Mosley, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I am delighted to announce that we have just opened a new forum in our Members Only section dedicated to Expressive Travel Photography and Travel Photojournalism : communicating with pictures, by master communicator and photographer Phil Douglis.

This initiative is a follow on to our Photo A Day project, and I'm so excited by the potential we have here to advance our photography to the next level.

We have decided to bring this new learning initiative as a reward for our registered members, and incentive for our many visitors to sign up and join in... trust me, it's a small effort for massive reward :smile:

Thanks to Amin, Don and BB for helping to peer review this initiative and for your support in bringing this to our members.

Please take a look at the new forum here, and let us know what you think?

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 7
  2. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Brian,
    Expressive travel photography could mean a walk to the letterbox, or a trip to the Antartica, this leaves us all with a wonderful broad arena to display our works. I try to limit my images to truly 4/3rds images, but because we are in mid winter in Australia I may have to show you my trip to the letterbox. Get ready!!!!! But it will be post 4/3rds not pre 4/3rds.
    Cheers
    DUD

• Like Like x 1
  3. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hmm, a trip to my lab! I need to get away..!

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Sounds great to me! Thanks Phil and Brian!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm planning on going through each of Phil's forums via your links here on mu-43.com, Brian and really want to think carefully about the concepts. Phil Douglis's site is a treasure trove, and I find his descriptions and deconstructions to be very thoughtful and thought provoking.

It would be great if everyone who does post their interpretation photographically might explain how they see their image responding to the stated concept - even if, or especially if, the image might "break the rules" which, as Phil says is often they way great things happen.

Thanks to everyone who has already begun to be involved!:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks BB - I will do my best to explain how my images express the concepts we're covering in each gallery. In fact, some images express several concepts at once - I think they are generally even more powerful.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for starting this forum Brian! I'm really enjoying exploring the different galleries and making images that express those ideas. My photography tends get into ruts and it's things like these galleries that help me take it to the next level and give me a fresh perspective. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  8. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    My first thought on seeing the headline was:
    Err why would this be for new members only?

Hendrik

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Good question Hendrik, and it's something we continue to debate in the back room... my thoughts are that a sense of privacy from unregistered browsers will allow us to share our personal work with more of a sense of community.

As well as recognising our contributing members, I'm hoping it will also encourage our regular visitors to join up and join in!

We could perhaps create an 'exhibition' thread for those of us enjoying the new forum to share our work with our anonymous guests - do you think that would help?

Cheers

Brian

10. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    New Forum

I, personally, am very excited about this new forum. It seems to be a logical step forward from the PAD to something more in-depth/intriguing/thought provoking. Not simply a picture, but something that conveys a concept and/or idea via the force of photography.

Taking one step back and thinking before hitting the shutter button. The ideas and the pictures in Phil's blog inspire the viewer to look deeper to see new meanings, to grasp concepts and to take on the challenge of taking pictures in a different way or with a decided point-of-view.

Ready for a new challenge, I am looking forward to participating in this new venture. Taking on Brian's challenge of Incongruity, Abstraction and Human Values..perhaps with less than 3 pictures..makes one think...how? Working on it..:wink:

Brian: just one thought..Instead of calling it For New Members Only..Why not Memebers Only? New implies you must be new to the forum..don't really see why that's the point..isn't the point Members only..getting those who visit and look but don't join to join?

• Like Like x 1
  11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    New: Members Only Forum

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Sorry Karen, and thanks Bill :biggrin: I've reworded the title for clarity.

Karen, I'm so pleased that you totally 'get it' - you know I've been planning something worthy as a follow on to the PAD, and I'm just getting my mind set right to go for the challenge too!

Cheers

Brian

13. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Thanks Bill, that of course was exactly what I meant, when I said
    but alas it didn't come across :wink:

14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    LOL, well at least we got there in the meantime sheygetz... the underline certainly helps!

Cheers

Brian