1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

new in okc

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by fredmad, Jan 21, 2012.

1. fredmad

fredmad Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City/USA
    Hello,

I've been visiting the forum for several months and decided it's time to come out of the shadows.

I started taking photos with my point and shoot a couple of years ago to make pictures to go with some things I'd written. That lead to an interest in taking pictures for its own sake, which lead to me wanting to get a better camera. I spoke with my wife and we agreed $1000 would be a reasonable budget. I bought an Olympus E-PL2 with 2 kit zooms (and a case and an extra battery) on eBay last October for $465. I had been thinking I would only be able to afford one prime, but then I picked up the Olympus 45mm for $345 and felt like it was time to renegotiate. I got approval to go over budget by $100 and bought the Panasonic 20mm. So that's my stuff.

I've gotten really attached to the 45mm, but not so much to the 20mm. Maybe that says more about me than it does about the lenses. I take my camera pretty much everyplace I go & I've become pretty obsessed. I've been posting a photo each day to my Flickr page since the year began, so take a look if you're interested.

I feel like there's something missing in a lot of what I shoot that makes the images seem flat or less interesting but I don't know what it is. As I learn more about the camera and the technical aspects of photography in general hopefully it'll come clear. I still have a whole lot to learn and I haven't even begun post-processing yet (but I do have Lightroom)! I've enjoyed visiting the forums here regularly and it's the one I keep returning to, so thanks to everyone who has made such helpful posts.

best wishes,
    Jonathan

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Welcome, Jonathan! Look forward to browsing your Flickr stuff... and seeing more here, too.

As far as...

... you might want to experiment with different lighting styles and directions to see how those affect your results. Main thing is to try different stuff and have fun with it, even if it doesn't turn out the way you expect!

3. PickleB

PickleB Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    UK - J6 on the M25
    Welcome Jonathan ... from someone who has joined the forum very recently!

Good shooting ... BobG

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I looked through some of your stuff, and I like your eye for light and shapes.

I can easily get a feeling for the idea you were trying to convey in most of your photos.

That' really 90% of the trick to being an effective photographer.

The last 10% is just practicing your technique to both get the initial image captured the way you see it in your mind, and the post processing needed to make up for the limitations of both nature and your camera to see it the same way.