New In Box GX1 value? (Long prelude:-) )

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RoadTraveler, Jan 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    When I entered the MFT world in late 2012 the first body I bought was a GX1. I tried a couple others then, but I preferred the GX1 and continued to buy and use several of these bodies (w/LVF2) because they started to give them away at closeout prices. My thinking was/is that I could afford to treat a couple of them a little rougher if needed (though I value my lenses more), and when I eventually upgraded to a different body someday the diminutive GX1 sans LVF2 would make a great 'extra', one in every car camera.

I've not treated any bodies rough yet, though leaving one outside for long shots unattended in weather in the future is possible/likely, but what I really love is rarely needing to change lenses in the field. Grabbing a different camera with another lens already mounted is so convenient and keeps the sensors clean. But...

I've got five GX1s in-service, one has a 14-42 PZ attached most of the time and gets tossed in my lunch pail as needed. Two other extras (7 total) were put in my safe as new-in-box backups. When they arrived I took one image with one body and four with the other, just to make sure they worked. The prices for 'used' GX1s are ridiculous, and I still very much value the bodies as working tools (the camera doesn't make the art as much as the artist), so no reason to sell my five everyday bodies.

Though if there are others that still highly value the GX1 as do I, maybe it would be worth it to sell these two, unused spares to fund buying some additional gear? Somebody could enjoy using them, now, it's unlikely that I will ever 'need' them.

Of course, the GX1 is now relatively old and folks are always interested in the newest toys, so maybe the demand is too low? I can see myself upgrading to the GX8 in a year or two when the price is much lower and I can more easily afford buying three bodies... or I might keep using the GX1s and wait for the GX9-11?

Opinions on NIB GX1s?

James

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's an old toy. New toys have sensors with much better performance. That probably doesn't matter much for toys, but might for photographic tools.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would check Ebay and let them go for whatever they go for these days. It's a very nice body and I still use mine as back up and bang around pocket cam, but newer sensors like in GX7 are much better.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    But the majority of people who buy interchangeable lens cameras these days aren't using them as photographic tools, so maybe a moot point...

Anyway, I still like my GX1, but it mainly sees use as the bang-around body that's always in my work bag, either with the 14-140 or 20mm/1.7. Most times when I'm deliberately going out to make photos, I'll take the GX7 because I like the controls and the improved dynamic range.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    While I agree that the new sensors are better but I have images from my GX1 days, images from my NEX, Fuji and now E-M10 and in a vast majority of cases you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart without looking at the EXIF. The GX1 was a comfortable camera with fast AF and paired up with a pancake like the P20 or P14 would still be a nice kit.

That said, there are a lot of good cameras out there. Consider that a nice low mileage E-PM2 (with the better sensor) can be had for around $125.

6. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    eBay was a good suggestion, I don't shop there much but had a look. There are plenty for sale there, and at least one new for $320/buy-it-now, who know if he will sell it. Other examples with even higher prices! But selling on eBay doesn't really interest me.

Yup, agree they are still nice bodies, and as I shared I still like using them. There is much to be said for tool familiarity, and using all the same bodies (except an Lx7--I'd like an Lx100) allows me to easily manipulate most of the controls without looking. I've considered giving one as a gift to a non-enthusiast who doesn't need/want the latest thing, or I may just start using them.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's probably not an argument that flies with most people that are looking for a $150 camera, but I did decide specifically to get my GX1 (back when it was more expensive than the E-PM2 or NEX-3N that I was judging it against!) over those two bodies entirely for the controls and ergonomics. It was a much nicer camera in my hand, despite the other two having superior sensors.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Still one of my favorite m43 bodies. I loved the thumbwheel...wish my E-M10 had one like it.

9. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I had a GF2 fairly recently, and in raw mode it was quite impressive. Old definitely isn't bad in the imaging game.. well it can be but not always :blush:

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do you know of any budding photographers on a tight budget who might appreciate a new camera body at a good price? This will not make you any richer than selling on eBay, but you might have the satisfaction of helping somebody on a photographic journey with a little better equipment than their money might otherwise buy.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think you'd have a hard time getting over $200 for a GX1, new or not.

12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Think you are likely correct, and unless I was going to jump through the hoops to sell both of them (and even then), it might not be worth it.

13. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I don't, but if I did I'd consider that option.

My very senior, and lifelong amateur photographer father is a Fuji fan. I've tried to convince him to change to MFT, even give him a body and a couple lenses to get started, but he likes and want to stay with Fuji. My sister-in-law with a Sony NEX5 is another option.

P.S. Nice site and message. :)

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I got my FIL an amazing deal on a GX1 with a brand new Pany 14-42 from a friend. He apparently had really bad GAS and almost immediately sold the kit for a Canon body and 2-lens kit. That was the last time I brokered any deals as I had wanted that lens but was trying to be a good SIL, and I assumed that he would not cash out the savings from the deal. I did manage to sell my E-PL2 to a co-worker of my wife for her daughter. They live on a very tight budget, and I let the kit go for very little as I knew their daughter was very interested in photography (and hence my suggestion above).

Thanks for the compliment on my web site. Work and health issues have kept me away from posting for some time, but I am hoping to resume a more normal schedule as I enjoy writing and I have more than enough images to post.

I had a quick look at your web site as well. It seems we both have an interest in turbo diesel engines. I am still driving my 1986 VW Jetta TDI. It has less than 80K on it, but has taken a beating from the elements and not being driven much. Still, I have had it for almost 30 years, and still love taking it out for a drive.

All the best,

--Ken

15. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012

The blog is very neglected and has never been a serious focus, almost all my journalism is for print publications which consumes most of my time. But, I’m wanting to revive it (again), we shall see. It's very truck/4WD-focused.

16. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I share the desire.

--Ken

17. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    I have both the GX1 and GX7. I love the GX1, great images, small(er) and decent video. I've made large prints from GX1 files that are stunning in both detail and tonal range. Some people get too fixated on paper stats. I only bought the GX7 because it has a much better EVF and some IS. Some day I will have to tripod both cameras and take the same image using the same lens and see if in the real world there is any "real" differences. So far I haven't felt the need to.

Back to your original question as to value, as mentioned eBay is your friend. Personally for a NIB copy $200 seems reasonable. However the appeal is limited to those that are either looking for a deal or are putting more emphasis on size rather than latest and greatest stats.

18. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012

Wow, do you like the GX7 viewfinder better than the LVF2? Read many posts when the GX7 was new where some seemed less than thrilled with the GX7 viewfinder, other thought it fine.

I've only made one fairly large canvas print from my Gx1s and it is great.

Yeah, since I don't need to sell them, for $200 each I'd likely just prefer to use them.

19. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I still use and like my GX1 very much.
    Sometimes I take it as a back up camera, or second body, other times I take it as a light kit camera.
    With good natural light and a Prime lens attached it have enough IQ for me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yep, as I shared, my GX1s are my 'only' MFT bodies, I'm perfectly happy with them, and will continue to make good photos with them for the forseeable future. Yesterday I was shooting a winch/bumper/lights installation project and a GX1 and Panasonic f/2.8 12-35 was all I needed.

• Like Like x 1