1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New images with Pana 12-35/2.8 - MANY IMAGES

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by phdezra, Jun 26, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Hi all. A number of you emailed me asking for more photos with Pana 12-35/2.8 for specific scenes: landscape shots, or indoor shots with no flash, or outdoors wide-open, etc. So, I took the long way to work through the park this morning. Though I could not spend too long as I was en route to the office. Fired off a few quick shots as I kept going (after exiting train) of people sitting, reading... even a Tai Chi class in Bryant Park (one of these images was with PinHole effect in camera).

Nearly all shots in A mode or P mode. SOOC, JPG.

Only linking the 1600 size; for larger sizes and Original mega-size Hi_Res, please see full set link at bottom of this post; all with EXIF info at Flickr. (I'm not promoting my Flickr account, but in case you want EXIF--it is there. And in case you do not, I'm pasting the linked images here. :thumbup:

Short description ahead of each image... Comments and thoughts...?

A view from my commuting train station as I was standing on the platform. The bridge is for trains and crosses over the Hudson River intersection.
    7448182764_c69189b81e_h.

Normally, I do not go around shooting people on my commuter train, but this woman was in all pink pink pink and even had a pink case for her kindle. Couldnt resist the unusual angle as well.
    7448182310_b370a6b526_h.

In Grand Central at F/11 for a 2.5" second exposure handheld as I propped myself up against a wall behind me. The scene is the super-busy Dishes counter for breakfast foods. Blurred parts of images are 'ghosts' of people walking quickly throughout the station... Check out the whirring of the chef behind the counter. And, oh, btw, the indoor lighting in GCT is *nasty*. It is a combo of incandescent and fluorescent - if anyone has a suggested for WB this, let me know!

7448182022_c906191abc_h.

I am going to call this one the poor man's Multi-Target, DaveBox, ResChart all rolled into one. :rofl: You know, the kind that the other tests sites put up for intense scrutiny. Of course, this was not done in a studio, and it was shot through grimy glass window in a shoppe front to make matters worse, but so be it. It's the display window for Pylones in GCT. Again, take it for what it's worth. Indoor shot, no flash, no polarizer to cut down glare (not even a UV/haze filter).. no excuses...

7448181542_8ae24b4a9b_h.

Walking west on 42nd street - commuters. I guess the girl in the fuchsia skirt works at Morgan Stanley... I mean, your eyes are drawn to her blue water bottle in left hand, right? :tomato2: Shot at 12mm, f/3.5. This was shot while I was walking and doing the one-two-step in order to focus. Not easy with a rush of people behind you...

7448181002_313c370af7_h.

No comment
    7448180512_891682271f_h.

7448180180_1169e8f14e_h.

Side entrance to NYPL with a secret service type guy (not usually there):
    7448179408_99640d9204_h.

Outdoor cafe in Bryant Park - not open for breakfast...
    7448178176_50983d0cd8_h.

Morning nap in the sun. Note strong sun with heavy shade in background. Seemingly tough to meter in one exposure (no time for bracketing to test out others and did not have time to change EV). F4, ISO 200, Shutter exposure 1/320
    7448177638_337bc5cc29_h.

Tai Chi in the park before work: Pinhole art filter:

7448176864_915b6682f2_h.

More Tai Chi in harsh sun, F/6.3
    7448176542_e66f520d0f_h.

More Tai Chi - but in A mode at F/2.8 from same angle; shutter speed 1/2500(!)
    7448175868_a84b6fece8_h.

Texting while outdoors. Why else would you go to the park? :rolleyes:

7448175048_9a26cb8c0b_h.

Ping Pong before the opening bell. (If you can;t spot the ball (it is indeed there), go to Hi Res shot (at Flickr).
    7448174642_6457b7fc95_h.

Random. After I took this image, I complimented her on her red shoes offsetting her black suit. Seemed to put her in a better mood than she was in when I took the photo.

7448173822_cbbce2ed15_h.

Random. She kept looking over her shoulder--alternating with texting--looking for a friend. Shot wide open at 2.8; yes, check out blown highlights to upper right of screen. However, given I had a nanosecond to take this shot, and absent bracketing or adjusting EV and losing the shot, I think it did well.

7448173460_752c76693a_h.

More texting. Hmmmm :horse:
    7448172250_24b40176fb_h.

Random. Graduation ceremony line-up for some school at coerner of 42nd street
    7448171840_6fd5198c23_h.

Macro and other test shots forthcoming... Comments and thoughts...?

Pana 12-35/2.8; Tues AM - a set on Flickr

• Like Like x 16
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So far I see nothing that would keep me from purchasing one. Looks to be a very good lens. Then again, at normal web viewing sizes, almost all modern lenses produce very good results. I'm hoping the price will drop some before I need to get one, though. :rolleyes:

3. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    You are welcome to click through to Flickr and view the Hi Res photos or download the originals for printing and view the results. Regardless, yes, superb optics...

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Thanks for posting some real-world example shots! Seems like a sharp performer with a good range. I'm not a huge fan of the bokeh in More Tai Chi, Texting while Outdoors, and the two Random shots but you can't have everything!

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Wow, thanks for posting all these. Look very sharp! I daresay it would look even sharper if Olympus could sort out their JPEG engine's sharpening, but in RAW it looks good to go.

DH

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice, I love NYC.

Grand Central does have awful lighting..I just went for b&w haha. The outdoor ones probably don't show off the advantages of the lens, I'd love to see some more non-long exposure shots inside the train station for example if you get the opportunity. Or twilight/night shots! Thanks for sharing.

7. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    To repeat my question from the original post you started: would you consider putting a UV or clear filter on it since it is already nano coated? (top of the line high grade of course)

8. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Well, most of my photos i've posted thus far have been with NO filter. But tonight I put a B+W UV (Multi-Resistant Coating (010M)) on it. Super filter--crystal clear. However, the lens comes with a nice petal hood which serves as protection, as far as Im concerned, so the filter may go back...

Anyway, here's a quick snap (at bath time!!) with the filter ON my 12-35/2.8 lens (my other shots do not). No discernible difference...?

7451590024_9e64d1033e_h.

9. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Just curious what are your setting for SOOC jpegs in terms of picture mode, contrast, sharpness and saturation as well as gradation settings?

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Ezra.... These images are super crisp...very nice clarity indeed. The lens looks like a perfect companion to the 7-14... very, very nice. Thanks for sharing these images with us.

11. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Nearly all my shots are in P mode or A mode. For 90% of my shots I use the same setting as on my E-P3: "Natural" (third choice) and +1 Sharpness. Everything else as is (saturation, etc.). I know some people prefer to leave sharpness alone, others crank it up even more. To each their own. :)

My logic for leaving saturation and other settings AS-IS, is because that is why I have that lens. Meaning, sharpness--while yes the lens plays a huge role, I feel that since I have the lazy JPEG setting for 99% of my shots, and since the camera is fiddling with the sharpness IQ, I might as well bump it up a little. But for saturation and gradation, I;d rather the lens do its own magic.

Dunno if that logic works for everyone, but Im happy with my results and the prints I make from them. :biggrin:

12. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I'm just gonna go ahead and call it right now: this is an awesome lens, end of story.

To me the E-M5 signaled the arrival of m4/3 as a serious contender from a camera perspective. The 12-35mm signals the arrival of m4/3 from the lens side. Kudos, Panasonic. Here's hoping the 35-100mm is similarly stellar.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sure, the lens is nice, but I just simply like your selection of shots.

14. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank you. So your gradation is set to auto, as it came default from the factory? Also, for this lens, out of the three choices what size focus did you use?
    Thank you for sharing youe experience with the lens. Seriously considering replacing the 12-50 with this one

15. winsor

winsor Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    little red dot - city of SIN
    arthur koh
    super nice!!!

16. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Yes. All settings except for Sharpness set to factory default. Simple. Again, in my own twisted logic--if I needed to fiddle with so many settings in-camera, why?

As for focus point size, I usually use center, S-AF. I dislike the 19-point or whatever system since I like to select as I shoot and control.

Metering varies for me between Center or ESP.

I've been watching soooo many 12-50s go up for sale on here, eBay etc. Not saying that is a bad lens (it isn't) but seems like the honeymoon is over for some with that lens. Ergo, 12-35 could be a good choice for you if you sell off a 12-50 ( and already sold a 25/1.4) you'd be two-thirds of the way there, financially.

Ez

17. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Thanks. Great lens in the hands of 'average joe' photographer. :)

18. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks!, I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures phdezra. And can I just say? Pictures like these are better when they are captioned like you did :)

19. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Another thank you...terrific images that most of us can relate to taking ourselves. Looking forward to this lens very much!

20. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    That looked like a fun commute! Thanks for sharing these so quickly after just getting the lens. The pictures stand on their own and along with your commentary provides us with a nice little tour of NY.