1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New iMac vs. old iMac & photo processing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelh, May 20, 2011.

1. Is there any significant real world advantage with purchasing the latest version of the iMac over the previous model assuming identical SRAM for using Aperature 3 and the Nik package of programs?

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    only processing speed. And you get the newer thunderbolt i/o. But as long as you are running 4gb or more of ram there you will not really notice anything. You get more bells and whistle with the newer model.

I run aperture on 2 macbook pros with different speed processor. And with them both running 8gb or ram, the difference is not really noticeable in processing.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have the 24" iMac ... I wish I had waited a week for the 27".

Gary

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Will not really notice anything? WRONG! Maybe not with Aperture3 alone, but I run Silver Efex Pro pretty extensively and there's a huge difference between the 21" iMac I bought in late 2009 and the one I just bought a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I kind of did a Mother's Day / Birthday swap. She needed something more powerful and capable than her old MacBook and I was interested in more screen real estate for photos. So we got a new 27" iMac, which I got (I guess as a birthday present) and she got the year and a half old 21" that I'd been using. She's very happy because there's no difference that I can tell for the kind of stuff she does a lot of (Word, Excel, web, various teaching data-bases and online apps). And I'm ecstatic with the new one.

The "old" one was never the fastest computer when running the old version of Silver Efex, but it was OK. Then I got the new version of Silver Efex Pro and if felt like the computer was working through a molases filter. Everything really bogged down seriously. Like you'd move a slider and you'd have to stop the slider, click the mouse to set it there, and then wait a second or two to see what the adjustment was. And then re-adjust from there. You couldn't really see it in real time and decide where to stop the slider - it was trial and error. The new one just blazes through all of that. I can do any adjustment and watch it in real time and stop it when appropriate. It just makes working with the program a total joy rather than a hassle that could produce good results if you were patient. I was used to it, but I like it a WHOLE lot better at the speed of the new computer.

So, there's a whole lot more processing power in these quad processors compared to the dual processers from the last imacs. For running Aperture alone, I wouldn't say its a big difference, but if you're using Silver Efex or any of the other Nik programs, big big BIG difference.

-Ray

5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I have a 2009 and 2010, and both running 8gb ram, the difference in processing is not really noticable. So not wrong. A 1 gen older imac vs the new one will not see much difference. I run topaz on both, and even denoise and adjust does not take to much longer on the 2009 vs the 2010.

So a 2011 vs a 2010 imac is not that much difference.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    My old white 24" is in the process of dying, so I hit the Apple Store for a refurbished 27". I asked the same thing about the diff between the i3/i5/i7 processors and was told that there is roughly a 40% increase in speed from one to the next. Price wise, I went for an i5 with 1GB on the graphics card over an i7 with 512MB. It was $1450 shipped. They all had the 1TB drive. It'll be here Tuesday. It should be blazing compared to my old 2.16GHz Duo.

Personally, I liked the 24" size. 27" seems too big, but 21 is definitely too small.

7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the i7 are very fast, the 2.8 is pretty dam fast. Think the new 3.1 will be nice also. But is it worth the extra if you can still get the 2.8 on refreb. Not really unless you are a super gamer.

8. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm not clear on whether there was an interim model released in 2010. But we got the 21" in late October or November of 2009 when it was a brand new model - I wasn't aware that they'd done a major update between then and the one a few weeks or a month ago. We got one of the new ones literally about two weeks ago. Its not notably faster for much - I agree. But the difference running Silver Efex Pro version two is night and day. If there was an interim Mac model update sometime in 2010 that might have split the difference, I guess I just missed it. And maybe there's less difference there if there was. But between the one that was a new model in late 2009 and the ones that are new models as of May 2011, a pretty clear difference.

-Ray

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    There is a i7 imac that was release last may, and the new one that is coming out is also a i7. One is at 2.8 the new one is at 3.1 not a whole lot of difference. That is what I am referring to current models. The 3.1 will be out soon at the stores, and will have a heftier price tag then the current 2.8 ver or a refreb. So unless you need that extra .4 of speed and the thunderbolt i/o there really is not to much performance differences.

10. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    OK, I guess I don't know the models that well. Here are the two we have and there's a very big difference running Silver Efex Pro v2 between them:

21" iMac 10.1 - 3.06 ghz - core 2 duo

27" iMac 12.2 - 2.7 ghz - intel core i5

Neither are the faster of the models offered with the new model releases at the time. Maybe you're dealing with faster machines of both generations? But the first of these, the 10.1 running the core 2 duo is very slow running Silver Efex. The i5 is very fast running it. So if that's useful to the OP, good. If not, sorry for taking up the bandwidth.

-Ray

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    if you compare the 2 i7 imacs that were release last year the may 2.8 and the july 2.93 not a whole lot of difference. And both can be had form apple refreb. So the new 3.1 coming out is not a whole lot faster then the 2.93 or the 2.8 that came out last year.

So if the OP was considering the new 3.1 vs last years 2.8 or 2.93, you are only getting some bells and whistle with thunderbolt a slightly fast clock speed, but the same processor.

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I believe the graphics cards were also upgraded - and as Aperture uses a lot of the power of the graphics card then that may be a factor - though I have no solid evidence for this.

My experience over the years is that I update computers when I can can get double the performance - which is why I am looking at replacing an original Intel Mac Pro - with a top of the range 27 inch iMac - though I will probably wait now for a month or two to see when Lion ships and whether they do any serious rev on the mac Pro

K

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I doubt again that the 3.1 with the upgrade graphic card will blazingly out preform the i7 machines from last year with aperture 3.

14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Its not the same processor as last year - the new iMacs have the Sandy Bridge processors. I don't know all the ins and outs of what benefits that brings in the real world - but

Sandy Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

indicates a 17% performance boost per clock cycle... Again no idea how this equates in the real world... but shoturtles assertions that its just Thunderbolt that differentiate the new imacs and last years ones is a little off the mark

K

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    you are correct i looked into it, it is a i5 sandybridge vs i7 on the last year i7. Guess it gives i5 chips a speed boost to keep up to i7 in processing speed, and lets apple keep the cost down with i5 model. But I am sure a i7 sandybridge is in the works as well.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Two weeks ago I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro w/ the Sandybridge ... it is significantly faster (visually) than my cousins 17" Macbook Pro ... both use i7 quad core processers but my cousin's uses the older architecture. (I think the dif between Ray's machines are the cores.) Apple move something in the architecture closer to the processor (similar to what AMD does) to speed things up (I forgot what was moved - lol).

G

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I am sure with the imac i7 sandy bridge is just will be out pretty soon after the i5 sandy bridge. And you will see a difference. But between i5 sandy and i7. There may not be as much difference.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You can actually see the difference ... while it is not truly significant, a mere sec or so for doing the same action ... but ... one can still see the dif.

G

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Looks like the new imac i5 sandy are about 400 less in price then the i7 models of last year. With similar performance to i7. The new graphic card is really aim at gamer form all the tech reviews of the new amd chip

20. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    really shoturtle... please do your research before posting - there is an i7 option on the new 27 inch imac - just the same as there was in the 2010 models.

K