New "Hybrid" full-frame Nikon to be announced in 1-3 weeks

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by hookgrip, Oct 20, 2013.

1. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/b...me-hybrid-mirrorless-camera-coming-soon.aspx/
    http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/u...camera-will-have-f-mount-and-pentaprism.aspx/

Looks like this one will have retro-styling and work well with older lenses. Not sure what they mean by "hybrid" though.

• Like Like x 3
  2. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Wow - this will be nice. Just perfect for my collection of Ai-S lenses.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am SUPER excited! I am suspending any spending on m4/3 gear until I find out more on this new camera. I am a long time Nikon user and have many F mount lenses. I have had fun using them on m4/3 but the angle of view is so very different. But now I can use them and get results like I was used to. Glad that Nikon finally figured out to built a metering system that works with old lenses.

4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Weight 765g for this smaller size camera. it must be like tank!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Good observation. The EM1 and A7 are both under 500g, if I recall correctly.

But if this is true, the more choices we have as photographers, the better! Competition is good. Exciting times for gear!! Not good for the wallet though!

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm lost, this just seems like another Nikon FF dSLR?

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    yeah. But it'll be retro looking. And we all know retro looking cameras take better images.

Gordon

• Like Like x 8
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Sounds to me like a smaller, simpler, slower D4 for people that want the output the D4 provides but don't want that huge a body and don't need super fast burst rates, etc. But I'm just guessing. We'll know more over the next few weeks, it would seem.

9. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    I'm excited about this camera. Not that I will have the cash, but I could see myself running with this camera for focal lengths up to 85mm, than an em-1 type of camera for tele focal lengths. Exciting time for cameras indeed.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think this will be aimed at the PJ, travel and street photographer who want the D4's killer high ISO features and clean image quality, but in a more discreet package. This camera is definitely taking a cue from the popularity of retro inspired cameras. If anything, I have a feeling a lot of Nikon 1 technology will be injected into this camera. I could imagine things like the silent shutter and 15 fps burst rates could be implemented.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I have several of these already, but they use analog emulsion-covered acetate sensors wrapped around a spool, with each sensor having a dedicated ISO value.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    D800 output from a small-ish, simple-ish camera has a lot of appeal to me. Very interesting.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    At 16MP, it's definitely not going to be D800 output! Probably substantially better per-pixel noise, but definitely no match in resolution.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It will be gasoline powered with a pull start two stroke engine. There will also be a tiny watch battery to keep the time, which will be dead in three day.

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks for that... I read D800 sensor, but missed the 16mp part.

16. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    There is no video for this camera, here is updated info.

A quick update: the upcoming retro-designed full frame Nikon camera will not have any video recording capabilities. Here are the updated rumored specifications:

Nikon FM2 like design
    16.2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
    SD memory card
    2016-pixel RGB image sensor
    9-cell framing grid display
    3D color matrix metering II
    Native ISO range: 100-12,800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 108,200)
    5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
    3.2" LCD screen
    Battery:EN-EL14
    Dimensions: 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm
    Weight: 765g
    It will come with a new AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens (again, not clear what mount the new lens will have)
    Standard F-mount
    No video recording capabilities
    Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)
    The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
    The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
    The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
    Expeed 3 processor
    Same sensor as in the Nikon D4
    Nikon calls it a "hybrid" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that
    The announcement will be in the next few months, maybe even in the next 1-3 weeks:

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com#ixzz2iOidDk8Q

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It may be a DSLR but it will be different than their standard fair. First off it will be the first Nikon that meters without direct connect to the lenses. This is a HUGE step forward for those of us with old Nikkor lenses. All F mount lenses will meter now. I am also willing to bet that this camera will be a full frame affordable camera. The first thing that leads me to this conclusion is a remark Nikon made about 6 months ago that they are going to concentrate on entry level cameras. The second thing is the specs, an older sensor and processor and no video ability indicates this is not cutting edge but aimed at the photographer who wants FF ability at a good price.

It is listed as being "FM2 alike". I wonder if this means that Nikon is actually re-assigning the FM body, using the old metal parts and fitting in the digital pieces. Style wise I would prefer the FM10 over the FM2 but I would be happy with either. This would also explain the rather high weight as the empty FM2 weighs 540 grams and once you add a battery and other electronics it could easily reach 765 gr.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Odd there's no video. It's just not that hard to include it.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it's based on the D4 16mp sensor, this isn't an old sensor but one of the best low light sensors available. To me this is Nikon's first stab at going back to basics and tapping into their strong heritage.

20. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I don't know... It may sound crazy but I like having my EM-5 and my D800 to choose from.