1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New here from Florida

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by UkeChick, Jul 30, 2012.

1. UkeChick

UkeChick New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2012
    Hi. Just sent my 40d off due to carpal tunnel and tendinitis. Good ole Giulio from Small Camera Big Picture inspired me to try 4/3 out. Looking to get an OM-D or ep-3 I believe. Any guidance is appreciated.

About me? I am a self proclaimed nerdy 4th grade teacher that recently took up playing the ukulele to make songs that inspire my students to learn.

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Welcome, you sound like a great and creative teacher.

And I'm sure somebody with good knowledge of the best current US dealers and prices will be along shortly. If you haven't already, and if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend holding both cameras - I prefer the E-P3 which I have, though I'd love the OMD sensor :)

3. UkeChick

UkeChick New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2012
    I can't find a local dealer. What made u like the EP-3 better?

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I would also look at the Panasonic cameras as well. IMHO the G3 and GX1 are both step ups from the E-P3 (better DR and IQ courtesy of their newer sensors). That said, if I were choosing between the OMD and E-P3 I would go with the E-P3 and use the difference in cost from the OMD for some nice lenses like the PL25.

5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

WELCOME

Never enough girls around here. :biggrin:

Personally I hardly ever pick up my EP3 any more. The viewfinder on the EM5 is soooooooo nice. Once you see image stabilization in the viewfinder ... it's all over. :tongue::thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome! We were definitely missing some ukulele music videos around here! :biggrin:

I am sure you will get some great advice around here. As dixeyk mentioned, the Panasonic cameras are probably the best value right now - there are deals on the GX1 and the G3 has always been a lot of bang for the buck. The GX1, like the EP3, would need a clip on accessory EVF. If you like to bring the camera up to the eye all the time, the G3 may be a better fit on the Panasonic side.

If you don't mind splurging a bit more, the Olympus OM-D is pretty great. If you are going to be using a lot of prime lenses (without optical stabilization), or are concerned about camera shake for other reasons, the built-in image stabilization is huge. :thumbup:

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I like the size and feel and that I have the choice about the EVF - sometimes it's nice to make the camera as small as possible. Also the styling appeals more - I prefer not to be the "camera guy" (even before Kevin Spacey pointed it out) :)