1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Here, dropping Nikon for M43.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Chronos, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Hey Folks.

New guy here. I have been shooting Nikon for years. A few years ago i started getting into Timelapse Photograph, then started designing my own motion control systems. I had been watching the Olympus OM-D like a hawk since it was first announced hoping it would be as good as was expected.

I had been shooting with a Canon 60D and Nikon D7000, and about a month ago i sold the Canon 60D to fund an Olympus OMD as an ultralight timelapse camera. So far it has done well enough that I am now looking to sell off all my Nikon gear as well in order to get the 75 1.8 for portraits, the panny 7-14 for time-lapse, and possibly a backup OMD or one of the new E-PL5's coming out.

I do a lot of video blogs and instructional videos on time lapse and dropping the Canon and Nikon seemed a bit risky, but as things have progressed I feel better and better about this decision.

Hiking with a 15lb timelapse rail strapped to your back and another 15lbs of camera gear is not that much fun. So i am currently developing an ultra-light time lapse rail to compliment an ultra-light camera package will be very welcome! I am hoping to get the whole package under 12lbs.

I hope to learn a lot, and i hope to be able to contribute as well!

2. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Some have reported a wierd flare problem with Panny 7-14 on the OMD.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, Chris!

I have not used the 7-14 on my E-M5, but as Robert said, there are some threads around here on some flare with the 7-14 on the OM-D (also maybe to a lesser extent on other bodies). May not be an issue with your type of shooting.

Did you also consider the 12-35mm? A little expensive, but they have had discounts and rebates recently. I am pretty pleased with the performance and you would have weather sealing.

4. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I have, but i really need a UWA for timelapse work. I already have the 12-50 kit lens which covers that area. Generally on a DX format i sat parked at 12mm. Having a smaller sensor and larger crop factor I would need to shoot at 8mm to get the same (i think) FOV.

There is also the Oly 9-18, but i keep coming back to the 7-14.

I have not heard about the flare issues, usually UWA's will get some lens flare, and sometimes it even adds to the image. (i like it when shooting into the sun with timelapse)

or is this something beyond normal flare?

5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Believe the flare issue is way overblown and as you correctly pointed out, is an issue that can affect any UWA lens. But as with many photo/gadget forum, "perceived" issues can take on a life of their own. Am not surprised that that's what people focused on in your post. If you're into UWA images, you'll love the 7-14; I do. And depending on where you buy it, there may be the benefit of a liberal return policy if you need it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing some photos!

7. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I generally dont mind lens flare, but there is definatly good and bad lens flare. With my D7000 and Tokina 12-24 i would routinely shoot into the sun.

Maybe i can rent one to give it an audition.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome! I also am a long time Nikon guy who is switching, although I may get a V1 and give it a try too{nice to be able to use all my Nikkors with AF}.

Got any links to your vids? Got a pic of your time lapse rig? Been interested in trying it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    It is most noticeable near strong light sources either within or slightly out of the frame.

It is also not like the usual lens flare expected with an UWA (have had DSLR UWA lenses in the past).

I may keep the 7-14 and use it on the GX1 or sell it and buy a 9-18 as I have a Samyang 7.5 fisheye too.

10. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    B0at3r, sure lens fllare with UWA is expected, but thoise big purple blobgs are about the ugliest lens flare I have ever seen.

SpeedandStyle, im not sure what the rules are for this sort of thing because I dont want to be accoused of spam, I am the creator of Project Chronos. To find more information about it i recommend going to Vimeo and searching for "Project Chronos"
    I have been in full time system development mode and have not done many exciting timelapses lately, mostly test reels. But feel free to check it out.

Here is some more information
    Project Chronos / Home / Project Chronos Home

I also hve a facebook page "project chronos" that i regularly update.

• Like Like x 1