New here and wondering if I made the right choice.

Jsm209

New to Mu-43
New to the forums and have been trying to look for an answer to my question. So recently I came across a G85 with kit lens, a few extra batteries and extra charger for a deal that seemed too good to be true. Well turns out the camera was in perfect condition with less than 7k shots ever taken.

But now I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made the right decision. I know this is a m43 forum but I’d like some insight from users, did I make the right decision? This is my first “real” camera(previously had a Nikon d5200 but it was brief and I didn’t get much time with it) but now I really want pursue photography, definitely on a hobby level for now.

I’m mainly looking to do landscape and street photography. Mostly stills and almost no videography, at least for now. Portraits will also be a minimum but that could change. Also I want something easy to walk around with especially in city life. Low light indoors will probably minimal if at all, but low light outdoors in city’s with decent street lighting is inevitable.

Also, I’d love to be able to print some of my work, if it’s good enough. I’m aware m43 has its limitations but I’ve always loved the idea of printing my work, in reasonable sizes of maybe a2 or a3?

So knowing all this I guess my question is did I make the right decision? I haven’t had much time to just walk around and take photos lately due work and getting over a very recent car accident injury. But any and all information is very much appreciated.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
You got a camera that allows you to change settings and experiment. That is not a mistake.

Don't worry about the rest. Go out and observe the world, take photos, review them critically, share them to get feedback, discuss others' work and repeat.

After some time you will see when the gear you have works well and when it doesn't. But that doesn't make where you started out a mistake.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The D5200 eclipses the D2H with the sensor it has and so does the G85. Look at what was done with a D2H and then realize that you have 4x the megapixels and a better performing sensor. There was another site I wanted to link but it that page is no longer up. A D2H was used to make 24x36 prints of a tiger.

Here in this article there are cropped photos from a D2X (12.4mp down to 6mp and cropped again) and some from a D2Hs:
How big can you print from low resolution cameras? By Lewis Collard

You can print big, real big.

Martin11er

Mu-43 Regular
Welcome to the forum and m43! The G85 can do all that you specified and more. With m43 you also have access to a pretty much fully fledged line up of excellent lenses from many different manufacturers. Like wjiang said, go out there and start shooting! And don't fret over gear, there is no telling how deep that rabbit hole goes....

Last edited:
Real Name
Loren
When you tally all the things that make up a good photograph, the gear factors very low on the list. Don’t worry about the gear, don’t listen to YouTube talking heads (they’re irrelevant), and focus on developing your photography skills. It will be a long time before you can honestly say that your skills have exceeded the capabilities of the camera, if ever. There is no such thing as a bad camera these days, and you have a good one.

For the needs that you cited, this camera should serve you very well. Every camera is going to be a compromise of some sort. Based on what you said your needs were, you chose a camera that has the right strengths that you will appreciate often, and weaknesses that you’ll rarely have to worry about. That’s a sound choice.

M4/3 IQ is already good enough for 99% of the people out there, whether they know it or not. Furthermore, printing is more forgiving than digital displays, so you can print m4/3 fairly large without worry. I’ve printed plenty at A3 and larger with a 16mp camera, and they all look great.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The G85 is a fine camera, but then I am biased as I own one. Very easy to learn and good menu and buttons.
The good thing about the system is that you can get some reasonable lenses to try different types of photography without breaking the bank.

After you have owned it for a year and hopefully used it a lot you will answer the age old question is it good enough for what you want to shoot your self.

I still think APSC like Fuji is still the best middle road, but having said that even though I could afford the new X-T3 I still choose to stay with Mu-43. I don't kid myself, I am no award winning photographer, just a happy snapper.

So for the time being I am happy where I am with Mu-43.

Edit;
Below worth a look at least once

Last edited:

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
New to the forums and have been trying to look for an answer to my question. So recently I came across a G85 with kit lens, a few extra batteries and extra charger for a deal that seemed too good to be true. Well turns out the camera was in perfect condition with less than 7k shots ever taken.

But now I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made the right decision. I know this is a m43 forum but I’d like some insight from users, did I make the right decision? This is my first “real” camera(previously had a Nikon d5200 but it was brief and I didn’t get much time with it) but now I really want pursue photography, definitely on a hobby level for now.

I’m mainly looking to do landscape and street photography. Mostly stills and almost no videography, at least for now. Portraits will also be a minimum but that could change. Also I want something easy to walk around with especially in city life. Low light indoors will probably minimal if at all, but low light outdoors in city’s with decent street lighting is inevitable.

Also, I’d love to be able to print some of my work, if it’s good enough. I’m aware m43 has its limitations but I’ve always loved the idea of printing my work, in reasonable sizes of maybe a2 or a3?

So knowing all this I guess my question is did I make the right decision? I haven’t had much time to just walk around and take photos lately due work and getting over a very recent car accident injury. But any and all information is very much appreciated.
You've got one heck of a stonking good camera. The G85 also had an updated shirtsh mechanism and sensor which provides great results. It's perfect for what you want to do because it's so light and easy to carry and had great ergonomics and autofocus. Can even get a battery grip for it.

There's no other camera in the price range in a DSLR form that can match the G80 I believe, except for maybe a few Pentax SLRs but I'd take the G80 any day.

I genuinely think entry level and mid range DSLRs just can't keep up with the G85 imo, it's a camera that shook the market. It can become as casual or professional a camera you want.

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
You've got one heck of a stonking good camera. The G85 also had an updated shirtsh mechanism and sensor which provides great results. It's perfect for what you want to do because it's so light and easy to carry and had great ergonomics and autofocus. Can even get a battery grip for it.

There's no other camera in the price range in a DSLR form that can match the G80 I believe, except for maybe a few Pentax SLRs but I'd take the G80 any day.

I genuinely think entry level and mid range DSLRs just can't keep up with the G85 imo, it's a camera that shook the market. It can become as casual or professional a camera you want.
Edit: I don't own a G85, I have a GX80.
Over the years I had severe GAS for other camera systems, through 5 years of owning M43 (had a G6). Felt similar to you. But when I bought into newer M43 gear and got some primes, started to learn actual photography- I don't think I'd ever want to swap M43 for anything else at the moment.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Welcome to our little corner of the photography world I went from FF Nikon to Olympus and couldn’t be happier as you grow in your photography and improve your skills you’ll appreciate the Mu-43 system

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
They're all just tools, with their particular strengths and weaknesses. There isn't one that's optimal at the lot.
You just have buyer's remorse.
Go out and learn your tool.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Jsm209, definitely don't sweat that the camera is good enough. It surely is. Shoot for a while and determine if it works for you. Lots of choices in m4/3s world, and beyond. But it's all about how you get on with the camera at this point, not if the camera is capable.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
53 years ago when I started out in film photography I bought a 35mm camera. At that time, 35mm was considered not good enough for professional use (using all the same arguments today over why m43 is not good enough). 15 years later 35mm was the dominant format and noone said that anymore.

Don't pay any attention to the format arguments in the forums. Go out and take pictures with your G85 instead.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I upgraded from point and shoot to 'a real camera' about 8 years ago, that real camera being a Lumix G2. Initially I felt the same as the OP. The image quality I was getting at the time didn't live up to my expectation, until a good friend of mine explained that the camera was just the start and guided me towards technique and post processing. And so a curiosity developed into a rewarding hobby. 8 years later, I'm on my 6th M43 body, and my G80(85) is my favourite so far. I've dabbled with other formats over those years, but M43 has remained my sweet spot where I get the quality and functionality I want at a price tag I can justify.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I wouldn't worry about printing. I have pretty high standards for print work and find that prints up to 40x30 will hold enough detail you can inspect the print from a few feet away.

Left photo is 40x30 and right is 30x20 - photos printed by MpixPro

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Recent Prints 001 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I printed this one 17x25.5 on a metallic canvas using my Epson P800 printer

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
The Drink Printed by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I shot Canon full frame and APSC for 25 years (well a portion of that was 35mm film) and switched a little over 5 years ago and don't feel like I have given up much in the way of IQ.

Jsm209

New to Mu-43
Wow, woke up and read everyone’s replies. Thanks! I do like the camera and how it handles/feels. Feeling much more confident about owning it now though. Thanks for all the positive and informative replies! Very much appreciated

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran

But now I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made the right decision. I know this is a m43 forum but I’d like some insight from users, did I make the right decision? This is my first “real” camera(previously had a Nikon d5200 but it was brief and I didn’t get much time with it) but now I really want to pursue photography, definitely on a hobby level for now.

first of all - it´s a really good choice because if you´re not satisfied with the results, you still can blame it on the camera. not that it has a real impact on your photos, but if you had the latest top of the shelf ff it would be much harder to justify why your pictures look crap.

understanding - printing.
20mp is enough for slightly bigger than A3 sized fine art print - meaning you can observe picture from a 20cm distance and see no pixels(actually try to view any picture from that distance, so you get the real impression on how big din A3 is actually is from that distance). and the farther the viewing distance, the bigger you can print - meaning from 80cm away din A1 should look just fine even for museum display.

here are first mistakes you will make -
1st. yes you need a better lense. picture is made by optics, and if you think, your pictures lack of sharpness, detail, more background blur, etc - it´s mostly not a different camera, but optics you should go for.
2nd. the camera is feature packed beast - dive into manuals, until you learn it all. starting with focus stacking, post focus, bracketing, hdr, etc.
3rd. a camera is a tool, the problem is the guy behind it. learn photography, learn composition, learn storytelling - the photos look just as good as you are able to make it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom