New hello from Alabama

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by dave37, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dave37

dave37 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I have been visiting this site for a few months now, and have come to the conclusion it was time to join in for many reasons. The reason first and foremost is the fact that I have many questions as I build my system, and I want to be able to act on things that appeal to me. What especially appeals to me is the friendliness you all..... no wait, remember, I am from the south.... y'all exhibit, and the ability to disagree and get over it. I will say this, you Oly fans make quite a case, but I am going with Panny to tailor my needs. The dialogue within this forum has definitely helped make my decisions.

I recently purchased a factory refurb GF2 w14-42 for a great price to get started, just received the adapter to use my Nikkor F mount prime lenses, 20mm 1.7 demo lens from Adorama will be here tomorrow, prob will purchase a 100-300 to cover far end, and fill in between with new 2.8 X lenses when they come out. My future plans include another body..... A GX1, G3, (maybe even an OLY) we will see.... no hurry. I just want a camera with quality that I can have at arms length anytime and not feel like a pack mule.

A little about me: I have had an interest in Photography since 1978. I have mostly used Nikons, and still own an FE2, F2AS, and a bag full of lenses. I also have a little used Hasselblad 500 C/M with 50mm Distagon, 80mm Planar, 150mm Sonar, close up rings, and extension tubes. I also have a neat little post WWII Contax II rangefinder with Zeiss Opton 50mm f2 T Sonnar. I make note of this, because I envision that little Zeiss on my 4/3 body. I absolutely love darkroom work, and I "cut my teeth" on printing Cibachrome, after I found several thousand sheets at a salvage store. All this leads to one thing: I need some help when it comes to digital!!!! My extent of digital has been using a little Panny P&S for about 5 years.... just waiting for the right time.

I recently retired..... just because I wanted to!!! My interests include wanderings on my property, I am a Master Gardener, I create custom concrete objects, love "repurposing" stuff I acquire, music, craft ale, and of course, my wife and I like to travel.

Looking forward to everything this site has to offer.

2. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    sweet home ALABAMA.. We welcome you.
  3. vidiot72

vidiot72 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 11, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Where in Alabam are you Dave old boy?
  4. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Dave, welcome. I'm from Birmingham, and still spend quite a bit of time there. I hope you enjoy the forum and your new camera as much as I have enjoyed mine!
  5. David Freeman

David Freeman New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2012
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group, Dave! Congrats on grabbing a deal on a GF2 kit... a nice way to start.
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Dave.