1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Hampshire Pond

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by SkiHound, Jun 29, 2012.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    First time trying to post a picture on mu43. CC would be welcome. The first two were taken near Franconia, NH with my new E-M5. The third was in Western Maine just before a thunderstorm.

Attached Files:

2. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Nice scenes. If it were me, I'd pump up the contrast & saturation in post to create some drama. I bet you could pull all sorts of color out of these in the E-M5's raw files.

Also, you might try a polarizing filter on your lens for those pond shots. It looks like the water is very clear- I bet you could eliminate a lot of that glare and catch much more detail on the rocks at the bottom. You might get more dramatic color out of the sky too.

Thanks for the post!

3. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Hi Skihound, thanks for uploading your shots. I wanted to comment on the first two pics.

When looking at photos of highly reflective surfaces like across still water, its natural to want to see the far shores reflection in the water. In the first pic on the left we see the reflection of (we'll call it a pine tree ) in the water but we can't see the actual tree itself that is providing the reflection due to overhanging branches in the foreground, on the right side of the pic we can sorta make out the ( cedar ) on land but the reflection in the water is concealed by the foliage in the foreground, had there been a slight chop on the water to disturb the mirror effect and then the overhanging tree and other foliage in the foreground would have worked well to frame the shot especially if there was something on the water for us to be drawn to look at.

In the second shot, I think a little extra cropping on the left to remove part of the tree and the part of the tree that hangs down from the top would have framed your pic a litttle better and been a little less distracting plus it would have removed a little bit of the blown out sky. Other than those couple things I really like it, you caught the mirror reflection and its a pleasant photo to look at. The main thing with these two pics is that in the 2nd pic you can fix up the composition while processing, the 1st pic would have needed to be done on site.

Hope my comments don't come across as negative, they are not meant to be. Just wanted to get you to think of some slight changes to consider the next time your out with the camera and when processing.:smile:

4. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the helpful comments

Been busy and have not checked in for a couple of days. I thank you both taking the time to critique the photos. Your comments are very thoughtful. After a very long hiatus of nearly 25 years I started to get back into photography as a semi-serious hobby a couple of years ago. Recently dove into m43. I’m trying to improve my eye and my technique. Exactly the kind of CC I was hoping to get. Thanks much and I do hope to share more and participate more on these forums. I get a ton of useful information from them.

5. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Look forward to seeing more of your photos Skihound :thumbup: