New GX85 vs. my E-M10, first impressions and discoveries

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
Moon , what level do you set ur Zebras at?
Zebra2 at 100% - it's a bit paranoid, I know, but highlight recovery on :mu43: isn't great, whereas shadow recovery is decent. This way, I hardly ever blow the highlights if I a) pull exposure down until no Zebras are visible and then b) pull it back up two thirds of a stop (at the most). As an aside: I only do this regularily on what's called a "wide histogram": Lots of brightness, lots of shadows and possibly everything in-between. Usually, I judge exposure directly in the viewfinder and correct accordingly. No use overdoing it ...

M.

Last edited:

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
Better in hand that the GX7? That is interesting. I totally love the grip and feel of my GX7 and though it would be a let down on the GX85.
I have both and prefer the GX7 grip. The GX85 grip is too small for my taste and I am waiting impatiently for the Chinese to get off their duff and make one of those nice aftermarket anodized aluminum grips for it. I got one for the E-P5 and they are excellent . . .

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I have both and prefer the GX7 grip. The GX85 grip is too small for my taste and I am waiting impatiently for the Chinese to get off their duff and make one of those nice aftermarket anodized aluminum grips for it. I got one for the E-P5 and they are excellent . . .
Have you checked out the JB Designs grip on Amazon? Like his stuff, it's well reviewed so far too. I intend to pick it up.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
Have you checked out the JB Designs grip on Amazon? Like his stuff, it's well reviewed so far too. I intend to pick it up.
Thanks for that info. I'll consider it. I have the JB grip for my E-M1 and it is quite nice. The only catch is the price. Not too much for a hand-made product but still quite a lot of change. The anodized aluminum grips from China on eBay are usually about $20-25 and are very well made and designed. I had a RRS accessory grip before (very pricey) and the Chinese knockoffs compare favorably in quality for about 20% or less of the RRS pricepoint.

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
On your first con, I had incorrect focus lock with the 20mm vII also, but on my GM5. I truly believe this is a lens related issue, as I have never once had incorrect focus lock on the GX85 and never with the GM5 either except with the 20mm. Haven't heard too much about this issue with the 20mm but it was a real issue for me, perhaps the version ii has an inconsistent problem we've both run into.

Interesting you mention that, because I was so disappointed with the inconsistency, I even thought the lens was decentered. I was getting that fuji 'glow' when shot wide open with mid distance subjects which I hate. So I went to the shop who kindly allowed me to try other samples of the lens and I swapped it. I thought (at least psychologically) that the new copy I took is 'better', I have still have some inconsistency issues when wide open. So now I AF Lock twice before shooting wide open. I still think and remember the older version of the lens, sharper than this one. I agree on the AF in low light, works great.

On the other hand, I just dont understand why either Pana or Olympus have not come up with another or an 'improved' pancake lens. I still think that one of the main reasons - and only one for me - this system works over others is, 'size'.

Oh and I love the design of this camera, is just pure simple gorgeous.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like the GX80 grip, but I'm mostly comparing with E-M5, GM1 and E-M1. I think E-M1 grip is fantastic when using it but it's way to big otherwise. GM1 and EM-5 is disaster :) I have put on extra rubber grip from Nikon on the GM1 and on the EM-5 I have various options. The thing is... on a camera body medium size or larger. You want to be able to hold the camera by your side without feeling you slip on the grip. The four fingers must have an edge to grab to so you feel comfy. The GX80 grip works for that I think, it could be 2mm deeper maybe but as the way it is now it works. So I haven't felt need for an additional grip myself. Even though those wooden grip looks fabulous and are probably great when using the camera. But for me, no thanks. I'm in it for compactness :)

+1 for a new normal pancake!! (luckily I have the 20 mkI and are very pleased with that one, it teams so good with the GX80 also)

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular
I have the GF7 and agree on the menus being way too long. More menus with fewer items would be better.
I dislike the way bracketing works. I want to be able to shoot 3 images with 2 or 3 EV between them (for creating HDRs on my computer). I'm not used to putting cameras into bracketing mode via the single/continuous mode selector, but it's not a bad way to do it (via a dedicated button) whereas my Rebel had it in the menus.
I think I've had exposure problems a few times too due to forcing it to use mechanical shutter and hitting the 1/500s limit. I think I eventually noticed the aperture and shutter speeds were blinking or something?
Other thing I dislike is that to select HDR, you first need to select JPEG. It ought to just use JPEGs automatically for HDR and keep it set to my selection (raw + JEPG) after HDR is disabled. I switch that setting back and forth over and over again some days - arg!
I think the GF7 might support custom settings/sets - saw something on the right hand of the LCD one day when I "swiped" but forgot to read the manual.
I can see myself upgrading to the GX85 (or its successor) down the road for sure.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
That's exactly why I like Olympus menus better. So much easier to find what I want. Still, there's something the GX85 does better: it remembers your place in each sub-menu as you switch from one to another. Both systems seem to have their strengths.

kstano83

Mu-43 Regular
How real is the thing about Lightroom not doing GX85's raw colors justice? Some say it looks strange, some say that it's ok and some don't even mention it.

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
How real is the thing about Lightroom not doing GX85's raw colors justice? Some say it looks strange, some say that it's ok and some don't even mention it.
FWIW (I don't use Lightroom, but I do use Adobe Camera RAW to create DNGs that my software can work with), I don't think the colours Adobe makes available from the GX80 RAWs are strange or bad - DNG colours are muted, but fully recoverable in any good software, and very pleasing to work with, at that. But I gather LR uses profiles, right? Maybe something causes hang-ups in that respect. If you expect a fully "developed" JPEG and look at a non-graded DNG instead, you will certainly be disappointed ...

M.

sgreszcz

Mu-43 Veteran

I like the "newer" JPEG processing in the GX80 compared to my former Gx7/LX100 cameras. Is there any way to get this in-camera processing when post-processing the raw files on the computer? I guess I'm thinking of something like the Olympus Viewer 3 program. I know you can do the raw processing -> JPEG in the latest Panasonic cameras, but was wondering if there was a quicker way to give images more "punch" by default without too much post-processing time to develop using Adobe's base Panasonic raw conversions which are a bit "dull".

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris

I have never heard of that. I convert my GX85 raw files to DNG and then process them in Lightroom and one thing I have noticed is that this camera gives the best natural colors I have ever seen on a digital camera of lately, at least compared to my Ricoh GR, Sony A7ii and previous Olympus OMD em10/ep5/em5. I simply LOVE the colours of this camera, and they are very close to the ones that Leica gives you.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I like the "newer" JPEG processing in the GX80 compared to my former Gx7/LX100 cameras. Is there any way to get this in-camera processing when post-processing the raw files on the computer? I guess I'm thinking of something like the Olympus Viewer 3 program. I know you can do the raw processing -> JPEG in the latest Panasonic cameras, but was wondering if there was a quicker way to give images more "punch" by default without too much post-processing time to develop using Adobe's base Panasonic raw conversions which are a bit "dull".
Yes, by using SilkyPix, Panasonic's bundled software... Which actually isn't bundled at all with the GX85 but is referenced in the documentation, and can be downloaded from the web.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I have never heard of that. I convert my GX85 raw files to DNG and then process them in Lightroom and one thing I have noticed is that this camera gives the best natural colors I have ever seen on a digital camera of lately, at least compared to my Ricoh GR, Sony A7ii and previous Olympus OMD em10/ep5/em5. I simply LOVE the colours of this camera, and they are very close to the ones that Leica gives you.
I concur about the colors. Terrific files. Oddly, Lightroom profile tends to push it back towards older, less pleasing Panasonic colors, but that is easily remedied. It is an editing program, after all.

tflovik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Eirik
Anybody with an GX80/85 who have tested if it is has lower noise than GX7/G7 when you take long exposure night photos?
I have an Olympus E-M10 and a Panasonic G7, the E-M10 is better than my G7 at long exposures. So it would be interesting to know if the sensor in GX80/85 is better then G7 for long exposures.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom