1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New GX85 User Here

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by John V., Jun 13, 2019 at 12:07 AM.

1. John V.

John V. New to Mu-43

Wednesday
    Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m new to the scene, dabbled in photography awhile back with a Sony DSC H1, lost interest, and have been brought back thanks to an interest in filmmaking. So after much consideration, I purchased a GX85 with the two lenses. I’m very happy with it!

Like I said, it was an interest in video that spurred me on, but I’m thoroughly enjoying still photography with it too. I think it’s one heck of a camera for the price.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to keeping up with whatever you all are doing and saying.

Let me know what I could have done better. I used the 45-150mm lens.

John

C7B1D827-5F4B-450F-9405-0F4C6B6F9EA9.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E36F779E-1A72-4E71-B205-09D1FB0263B9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Maybe just a touch more noise reduction plus selective using of a sharping brush/mask. Like your compositions. 3 years ago I sold my EP5 to get an Gx85 for travel (Oly9-18/Pany35100 f4/5.6 city travel kit) and just love the camera. If you are interested in filming 2 things, the 1080P need a bit of sharpening which it takes well, and down-rezed 4K to 1080P is very, very good. I sit mine on top of a Tascam D60 with Rhode VMP, just clap your had for sound sysc, unless you have Plural Eyes for great syncing.

3. cluber77

cluber77 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Sorry but it’s still not looking good, the 1080p on Gx80/85 sucks no matter what you tweak on camera settings.
    Just shoot in 4K and downs scale it to 1080P in post

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. John V.

John V. New to Mu-43

Wednesday
    Thanks for the feedback!

Ironically, I do have the DR60. But I don’t have the Rode. Instead, I have a Takstar. Right now, my son hangs the DR60 around his neck, and puts the Takstar on a monopod to use as a boom pole.

As for 1080 and 4K, my computer struggles so much with editing anything better than 720. It will be my next major upgrade. It was all part of the plan with getting the 4K possible GX85.

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    That two lens kit offers terrific value. Welcome.

6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I use a DR60 Mkii as well, but usually with a Rode Stereo Video Mic. Mainly got it because it's a real good pre-amp. You get a cleaner feed (less noise on the low end, and more powerful pre-amp) if you plug the microphone into a 3.5mm to TRS (or XLR) adapter instead of into the 3/4 channel 3.5mm input.

And if I were to suggest just one equipment upgrade/change it would be to get a lens that is not so slow (f/4-5.6 is pretty dark/slow). Maybe a prime lens of f/2.0~2.8 or faster, which can either do with adapting an old manual focus lens, or looking at native lens, such as on the autofocus side the Sigma 19/30/60 f/2.8 , or Panasonic's 25mm f/1.8 at 150, etc. Prime lens (no zoom) tend to be sharper, brighter, lighter, smaller than their zoom equivalent of the same price range.

And I hear you on the 4K struggle. Even with my older desktop (8-core 3.6ghz, 32GB of DDR3 memory, SSD drive, and a pair of GTX 960 2GB video cards), it will often have trouble in Davinci Resolve if I try to edit with the timeline being 4K, especially in Cinema 4K (That lil bit of extra pixels to 4096 wide gives GPU issues). Least in regards to Davinci Resolve you need at least 4GB (preferably 8GB) of video memory on the graphic card. Premiere/etc can fallback more to CPU/RAM if it needs to.

What may help though, is to transcode the 4K footage first, before editing. If you do have access to something like Adobe Media Encoder, you can drag the footage onto the queue, and tell it to encode to 1080p in a format that is preferably easier for editing (DNxHD/HR probably SQ or LB mode for space, or Apple ProRes 422 LT if you don't just use straight ProRes 422), since encoding to H.264 may be better for say direct upload to youtube, it's more CPU intensive to decode while editing.

You can use Mpeg Streamclip to open a video and save as a different format (which will also resize it for you) Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista/7 , if you install the Avid Codec and QuickTime prior to Mpeg Streamclip, you may get the option for DNxHD to show up (in Adobe Media Encoder, ProRes will show up under QuickTime, don't know if it'll show up under Mpeg Streamclip). Edit That's assuming your editor of choice supports either format, if not select a format that your editor will accept.

In that way, you get the supersampled result of 1080p by letting it transcode, while you go and get a coffee or something, and then edit away when done.

PS: This is a bit technical, but one of the reasons I like shooting 4K and then transcoding to either ProRes 4444 or Cineform 10-bit is because it'll result in a 1080p that is 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:0 out of the camera. But that's only important if you're looking to improve the dynamic range, and color fidelity of the footage at the cost of resolution.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 12:42 PM
  7. Exporter

Exporter Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 15, 2018
    The photos are fine, just the wrong lens for indoors low light photos. Was the other lens the kit lens? Swap lenses and gain about a stop light (3.5 vs 4.8/5.3). The IBIS is your friend on this camera in low light. If you want to shoot video, the gx85 with a prime lens in 4k manual focus will work great. Love my gx85 and panny 20mm combo.

8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    By the way since you are shooting with editing in mind (if you're going to mess with the color/brightness/etc), pull the contrast down a couple notches in the picture mode. Doesn't have to be extreme just a tiny bit, especially if you're not looking to imitate LOG style film mode. For me personally I usually have -3 contrast, -5 sharp, -3 noise reduction, and +2 hue, but that's specifically because I'm going to be pulling it into a non linear editor and grading it there, and I can do my own noise reduction in editing without losing as much detail as in camera.

The lens I'm using with my GH4 now is the Panasonic 42.5 f/1.7 O.I.S. , mainly got it because I had no image established lens in my kit when I acquired the GH4, and the GH4 doesn't have IBIS (whereas your GX85 has 5-axis IBIS). But I'm also finding that it's very sharp at f/1.7 even to the edge compared to my Olympus 45/1.8, and can focus closer to the subject.

9. John V.

John V. New to Mu-43

Wednesday
    I initially did use the other kit lens for these two shots (12-32mm). The problem, I’m sure, was user error, but I couldn’t get any shallow depth of focus. The lens focused on everything. So, for what I was trying to achieve, the longer lens worked better for me, though I do recognise its shortcomings. And this wasn’t the first time either. I had tried the auto focus pull feature (snap?) and it was the same result. Easier to focus on the back or fore, respectively, with the longer lens. I’m naive as to the whys or how’s.

The 25mm F/1.8 has been in my sight, btw.

10. John V.

John V. New to Mu-43

Wednesday
    Great info. Thanks. I’ll look into encoding some 4K. I use Filmora Pro, btw. It’s the only editor that seems friendly to my computer’s specs. I’ve tried a bunch. I’ve even thought about recording in 4K and moving the files over to my iPhone. 4K, LumaFusion and iPhone make for a smooth combination. Resolve has caused expletives.

11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Yea the 12-32 is just as slow at f/3.5-5.6 (meaning when you zoom into 32mm, the widest it can go is f/5.6)

Generally speaking you get more shallowness with :
    The longer the focal length (more zoom)
    The wider the aperture (lower #)
    Closer you are to the subject

And any combination of the above to compound on that.

So of t he two lens 150mm opened up to f/5.6 is going to be shallower than 32mm opened up to f/5.6.

If shallowness is the goal, then yes one of the f/1.8 lens are going to be desired, I prefer the Panasonic 20mm f/1.8 (first version) for sharpness, but it's not as good for autofocus speed in low light (and isn't silent).

You can get really shallow with a 20~25mm , more a matter of how close you get to the subject as the focusing distance. A longer focal length will achieve similar without being as close.

jexFn_Crl3yPlnHBFepNviPWD9uklsOv1z8YbktWuYAsbx63bli8X00avnPB_VTsaIuNpuli2&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Yea, resolve is heavily dependent on the graphics card. And what doesn't help is when they release a new beta version, that's the default version you download when you go to their page, not the latest stable.

12. John V.

John V. New to Mu-43

Wednesday
    I wonder if I'm understanding you correctly. If I were to export untouched 4k video from the FilmoraPro editor, assigning it to be "Youtube 1080", is that the same thing as you are talking about?

13. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Not quite, though you can if it works but the quality will put out at not much more than 10mbit that youtube uses and that may be too little data left over to edit with (meaning it just goes down hill from there as you try to edit off that conversion)

When you transcode you want to retain most of the data you can, so that the end result is a high quality 1080p file that you'll edit and then you'll finally export for something like YouTube.

In short, if the application gives you a higher quality preset, use that for your output editing copy and manually set 1920x1080 if you need to (if it just matches the source when you select it). The YouTube preset should only be used after you've done all the edits you'll do.

14. John V.

John V. New to Mu-43

Wednesday
    After work, I took some test video and uploaded to YouTube. My eye is still not trained, so I'll appreciate any comments. (The purpose of this video was not to capture the 'hood.) Is there a decline in quality?

Original, unedited 4K, straight from camera, to computer, to YouTube.

The same 4K video, unedited, but exported straight from FilmoraPro to "YouTube 1080" preset, then to YouTube.

15. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Usually it'll sometimes be hard to tell once on Youtube because it likes to compress down the video quality a little, so if it there is a difference it's usually more significant.

In the two, I see finer detail in the 4K footage, but also I'm at the campus right now with one of the 5K iMacs so my screen is able to view it at 4K.

The export from FimoraPro probably softened it up a bit to make the youtube quality smaller in file size. From what I can find on Google it doesn't look like FilmoraPro allows you to change the bitrate or manner of encoding, or least not from the preset.

What I'll usually do, if you're just putting it out as MP4 is use Handbrake (it's free). Open the File, set it for 1080p HQ (Handbrake has a set of presets off to the right panel, but you can tweak after it loads). When I manually adjust the settings, I'll tell it to use two-pass encoding for 10,240 bitrate, with "Turbo First Pass" turned off, constant frame rate (setting frame same as source), with "High" profile, and pull the slider to either "slow" or "very slow" (longer processing time, but better file size with details). Since what that will do is take longer to retain the best quality while attempting to create the smallest file size. I suspect FilmoraPro is just doing a quick 1-pass encoding with basic profile that does a faster job, but dumps the most quality.

Edit: If you're converting to 1080p for editing after, increase the bitrate from 10,240 to something like 40,960 or better , will produce more data from the original source. It's when you're ready to send to youtube that you can do 10,240.

Wish I was more familiar with FilmoraPro but from my cursory glance (and because it's made by Wondersoft) , it's meant to be a very consumer friendly editor with non-technical outputs, so using that as a transcoder is going to kill off quality regardless.

16. cluber77

cluber77 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    3A730E5D-FBC6-4971-9F52-E9960817D58D.jpeg
    6927C16C-4B02-42FC-857F-75BAF9C4A3DB.jpeg
    B2CABECF-1A9E-47F1-8B10-F579BBD636ED.jpeg
    I’m also using Filmora and this is the settings screen when you need to render your videos.
    You can choose the bit rate of the video, the maximum bit rate is 80000 kbps

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I wonder if under "MOV" It'll have options like ProRes and DNxHD (that's assuming Fimora can use it as a source when editing).

I would mainly say be mindful of the fps to keep it the same as your source, if you're not using PAL like clubber, then your in camera fps might not be 25 but rather either 24 (Cinema), or 23.97/29.97/59.97 (NTSC).

18. cluber77

cluber77 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    No, there is no option like this.

19. John V.

John V. New to Mu-43

Wednesday
    This appears to be the free version Filmora 9, which I'm familiar with and recognize the export settings. I can't find anything like it in FilmoraPro. When you click export, it simply takes you to the export queue page.

This below is accessed from File....Options

project options.png

color bit depth options.png

antialiasing mode.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.