New GX7, randoms Qs

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've got an EM5 and EM1 and recently picked up a GX7 as well because the body+20 kit was too cheap to pass up on ebay($715 new!).

So far, my impression is rather mixed, so I'm wondering if there are some settings I can change to improve a few things.
1. I managed to set the AF point control to the rear directional buttons (how my Oly's are set up and most other dslrs which I prefer), however, tapping the buttons only moves the pointer a couple pixels at a time, which is really, really slow in use unless you hold the button down, at which point it is very difficult to accurately position. Is there some way to get a standard grid pattern of AF points to swap between like most other mirrorless/dslr cameras?

I realize I can use the touch screen to set the AF point, however this is not a very good solution to me, mainly because there is no natural, comfortable way for me to hold the camera, look down the EVF, and simultaneously set the AF point on the touch screen. If I take my eye off the camera I can tap on the screen to set the AF point but this is to me a very slow way to work. I have it set up so I can move the AF point on the touch screen while looking down the EVF with my thumb but this is not comfortable, and is often unreliable with the AF point jumping to a random position.

Also, is there any way to snap the AF point back to the center point? I'm in single (smallest) af point mode and I can move it all over the screen but I haven't found a way to reset the position. With my Oly's this can be set to a FN button.

Also #2, is there any way to turn on face detection while in single point AF mode? Seems like these are mutually exclusive.

2. The IBIS doesn't seem to be very effective, 1-2 stops at most while my Oly's are good for 3-5 stops with most of my lenses (other than the 75-300). Is there any settings to improve IBIS operation?

3. The AF sometimes fails to lock even when focused directly on a horizontal point of contrast. I can reliably reproduce this problem, and then rotate the camera about 45 degrees at which point it will lock just fine. Is there some sort of setting that can help with this or does the GX7 simply struggle with certain types of horizontal contrast detection?

4. Is there a way to turn on live exposure preview in M mode? On my Olys I turn off "EVF Boost" to get this.

5. ISO seems limited to 3200? I managed to enabled extended ISO but that only gave me 125, still don't see an option for higher than 3200. Nevermind, figured this one out, looks like 3200 is the limit with the e-shutter?

6. Is there any way to change the q-menu button to show the useful quick menu? Not sure what its called, but it can be accessed via the display button and looks like Oly's super control panel, the standard q-menu is borderline useless to me.

7. Is there any way to change the auto ISO behavior, eg, set a minimum shutter speed? It seems like it tries to stick to the 1/FL rule which isn't very useful.

8. The GX7, moreso than any other camera I've owned, gets quite warm in use. Is this normal?

Sorry if these are common questions that have been asked before.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
there is no natural, comfortable way for me to hold the camera, look down the EVF, and simultaneously set the AF point on the touch screen.

Oh yes there is. You can set up so you look through the EVF and slide your thumb across the back touch screen and the AF point glides around. It's great. Can you do that on your old cameras?

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
3. The AF sometimes fails to lock even when focused directly on a horizontal point of contrast. I can reliably reproduce this problem, and then rotate the camera about 45 degrees at which point it will lock just fine. Is there some sort of setting that can help with this or does the GX7 simply struggle with certain types of horizontal contrast detection?

The GX7 has excellent AF. The only lowering of AF I notice is when using the smallest AF square. That is not unique to this model or Panasonic cameras -- generally the default AF square size is a better default choice.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
I
6. Is there any way to change the q-menu button to show the useful quick menu? Not sure what its called, but it can be accessed via the display button and looks like Oly's super control panel, the standard q-menu is borderline useless to me.

Don't know what you are trying to say. The Q Menu is great, and also customisable.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Sorry if these are common questions that have been asked before.

They certainly have. Usually by DSLR converts. They, like you, make the mistake of trying to replicate the experience of previously-owned brands on a new brand of camera, and imagining the differences are some kind of failure in design of the new brand.

IOW, a Lumix camera will only ever make a poor OMD camera, and vice versa. If you want to really enjoy the GX7, try to 'get into' what it is and does well and how it does things its own way. There is a whole new and thoroughly enjoyable experience waiting for you, and trying to back-convert it into an OMD will only degrade it and its potential.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Oh yes there is. You can set up so you look through the EVF and slide your thumb across the back touch screen and the AF point glides around. It's great. Can you do that on your old cameras?

As I said in the OP I have it set up that way and its still uncomfortable for me and unreliable as it will snap to random positions. I have no doubt that some people may like to work with it that way but I do not.

DISP button

Perfect, thanks.

A contradiction in terms? You say you want a fixed AF point that uses face detect?

Nope, no contraction here, with my OMDs I can activate face detection while in any other AF point selection mode. If no face is detected, point selection falls back to whatever method you have set. Is there a way to do this with the GX7?

The GX7 has excellent AF. The only lowering of AF I notice is when using the smallest AF square. That is not unique to this model or Panasonic cameras -- generally the default AF square size is a better default choice.

I'm not interested in arguing which camera has better AF, was just curious if horizontal lines were an issue with the GX7. The problem doesn't appear to happen with larger focus boxes, but I hate using large focus boxes on CDAF cameras as too often the wrong detail will catch focus (my experience with all cdaf cameras, not a specific model/brand).

Yes, it's in the menus. I find it far quicker and more responsive to not use this, but use the exposure meter and chimp.

I can't image how chimping is quicker than live exposure preview, but I guess I'll take your word for it. Do you know what the setting is called in the menu? I've looked through multiple times and couldn't find anything.

They certainly have. Usually by DSLR converts. They, like you, make the mistake of trying to replicate the experience of previously-owned brands on a new brand of camera, and imagining the differences are some kind of failure in design of the new brand.

IOW, a Lumix camera will only ever make a poor OMD camera, and vice versa. If you want to really enjoy the GX7, try to 'get into' what it is and does well and how it does things its own way. There is a whole new and thoroughly enjoyable experience waiting for you, and trying to back-convert it into an OMD will only degrade it and its potential.

Thanks for the response, I am trying to get into it an appreciate how the GX7 works, there are certainly some things I really like, but there are others that I would like to find more workable solutions for.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
4. Is there a way to turn on live exposure preview in M mode? On my Olys I turn off "EVF Boost" to get this.

Yes. In the "CUSTOM" menu (wrench with "C") on page 5 set "CONSTANT PREUE" to ON, and while you're at it make sure "EXPO.METER" is also set to ON. This way you'll see exposure changes in the EVF and on the LCD as you make setting changes and you can use the meter readout at the center bottom of the image also.

This works only in Manual mode for stills with the dial on top set to M, and for Manual Exposure mode for video with the dial on top set to the motion picture icon. Look for "EXPOSURE MODE", four choices P, A, S, & M -
Set to "M".

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Try working with the second smallest AF box. The AF performance of most CDAF cameras is far better when off the smallest box.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes. In the "CUSTOM" menu (wrench with "C") on page 5 set "CONSTANT PREUE" to ON, and while you're at it make sure "EXPO.METER" is also set to ON. This way you'll see exposure changes in the EVF and on the LCD as you make setting changes and you can use the meter readout at the center bottom of the image also.

This works only in Manual mode for stills with the dial on top set to M, and for Manual Exposure mode for video with the dial on top set to the motion picture icon. Look for "EXPOSURE MODE", four choices P, A, S, & M -
Set to "M".

Perfect, thanks!

Edit: looks like this gives live exposure and DOF preview, certainly an interesting implementation.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Try working with the second smallest AF box. The AF performance of most CDAF cameras is far better when off the smallest box.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there, with large AF boxes, in my experience atleast, CDAF cameras almost always focus on the distracting background element instead of the subject. The firmware update for the EM5 with smaller af boxes made a big improvement in the amount of keepers that I get, and the even smaller focus box of the EM1 is yet more reliable for me still.

I've tested the issue with the GX7 here and I get af lock fails on the same subject even with the larger AF point, but again it locks when rotated 45 degrees, which is rather odd. Maybe the GX7 just really hates the chair in my living room, as I don't seem to get the same issue on other objects (even ones will less contrast).

RogerCooke

New to Mu-43
thanks to both of you for this very useful exchange. There are many blogs on the IBIS of both systems, eg http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wo...ttle-for-my-affection-round-1-ibis-evfs-lcds/
which favors the GX7. Some say that stabilization in the lens has certain inherent advantages wrt focusing, since moving the sensor can make focusing more complicated....its over my pay grade. the point is, its useful to compare the stabilization with stabilized pany lenses also.

ps my gx7 never gets hot.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
I've tested the issue with the GX7 here and I get af lock fails on the same subject even with the larger AF point, but again it locks when rotated 45 degrees, which is rather odd.

So odd, in fact, that I am starting to wonder about your particular GX7.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
I also had problems with Gx7 failing to focus in one plane but being able to focus when turned sideways . It was pretty surprising, never had this problem with Gx1.,I do recall Fuji X100 having similar problem focusing sometimes.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
ps my gx7 never gets hot.

Thanks, I should clarify that it doesn't really get hot so much as warm, like a smart phone under heavy load. My other cameras hold a pretty constant temp.

I also had problems with Gx7 failing to focus in one plane but being able to focus when turned sideways . It was pretty surprising, never had this problem with Gx1.,I do recall Fuji X100 having similar problem focusing sometimes.

Interesting, thanks for the input. I've done a bit more testing, this morning with some nice ambient light I don't get the problem. I'll test again tonight in low light like I had been and maybe make a short video to show the issue. I don't think the camera is faulty but rather that it has a tough time with this rather esoteric situation.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another question, I've managed to enable highlight/shadow clipping alert, but this only happens in image review, not in real time. Is there a way to get this without having to chimp?

Latest threads

Top Bottom